Thread: Bar Ends? :)

Default Bar Ends? :)

I've been reading a lot and am planning on TBH this spring. I was wondering if anyone has drilled holes into the ends on their bars for dowels or metal rod to help with lifting the bars out? I would think it would help with lifting them... Any opinions?

Default Re: Bar Ends? :)

Generally TBH have their ends exposed, setting on top of the hive body. This is different than the Lang which has its ends down in the hive body. Summary: There's no need for any dowels etc. as the ends are easy to work with.

I was thinking if you inserted the dowels before you raised the bar, it might give you a more stable handhold. I understand that the bar is exposed. It was just an idea I had floating around.

Chet, one of the interesting things about TBH's is that the bees let gravity become involved in their comb building. If the hive is not absolutely perfectly level the comb will not be at a 90 degree angle to the base of the top bar. This make is difficult when rearranging comb.
    Now if a person was clever enough to be able to design a top bar that rested on dowels, or round metal rods, it might be self levelling.
    Go for it. Try something new. Post the results. That is the beauty of this forum, we learn from each other.

Chet - that may help in initially lifting the bar, but may make inverting them difficult. With the Michael Bush design, the bars rest on just an edge on the angled side board, leaving a gap that feels like it will provide an adequate grip on the bar ends.

B

And I was just being lazy by not cutting them... but you're right, it gives you a grip on the bars when the sides are angled but not cut:
    http://bushfarms.com/images/KTBHOpen.jpg
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

I like lazy and the method Bush uses works great! Plenty of room to get your fingers under and if they are really propolised up then just a quick twist with a hive tool or brush handle works great!

Mike
    Beekeeper? Shoot, my bees keep me!
    100 hives in Western Wa State

Resist the urge to complicate that which is beautiful in its simplicity.
    The Barefoot Beekeeper http://www.biobees.com

I would sure hate for one of the dowels to slip when you have a comb full of honey almost removed fromthe hive