Default someone should manufacture plasticell type foundation, with super thick wax coating.

Machines are more productive than hand coat/recoat.
    acrylic projects picture blog
    http://plasticsjournal.livejournal.com/

Default Re: someone should manufacture plasticell type foundation, with super thick wax coati

The problem with thick coats is they crack and flake off.
    americasbeekeeper.com
    beekeeper@americasbeekeeper.com

Default Re: someone should manufacture plasticell type foundation, with super thick wax coati

We buy unwaxed and do it ourselves. unwaxed is cheaper and weighs less so shipping is less.

We also know where the wax comes from.

Johnny
    "Suppose you were an idiot and suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself." - Mark Twain

Could you please eaborate on how you coat your own? Thanks.

There a some threads here, with a lot of detial about roller or brush etc.
    Click search and try some phrases , like recoat wax foundation.
    I just brush it on, pretty heavy coat.
    I ran a side by side test, found the recoated was drawn out faster, but may not be good advice for every one,

Broke T, do you have to coat the whole frame when buying the unwaxed version, or just roll it on as described in the many threads on here.

We only coat the foundation. We melt wax in crockpot and brush on with 4" foam brush. Dip brush and do one side. Dip again for other side. Bees draw it great.

Johnny
    "Suppose you were an idiot and suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself." - Mark Twain

What I meant was do you have to be sure to coat every cell on both sides or can you coat 2/3's of it and the bees draw the rest of it just fine, or do you need to do a very thorough job in wax coating.

With my limited experience, I think they will accept uneven coats and work with it.

Quote Originally Posted by jdpro5010 View Post
    What I meant was do you have to be sure to coat every cell on both sides or can you coat 2/3's of it and the bees draw the rest of it just fine, or do you need to do a very thorough job in wax coating.
    Any wax added to the *waxed* plastic foundation helps immeasurably. My experience shows it does not have to consistently even or cover 100% of the exposed surface.

The rolled-on wax does two things. It first gives the bees the raw material to work with (and if you pull out a frame after a couple of days, you will see how they used this wax to start comb construction). Second, once you get something started on these frames, the bees start working on the rest of the frame. Obviously, the more you put on (within reason) and the more evenly you roll it on, the better the bees can use it.

With lots of frames to mess with, I roll it on without too much concern for perfection. I'm not painting a house, I applying resources that the bees will utilize with great forgiveness to my sloppiness.

Grant
    Jackson, MO
    Beekeeping With Twenty-five Hives: https://www.createspace.com/4152725

This is where I get my foundation from and I'm very happy with their product.
    The wax coating is just right, and my bees draw it out very fast. I'm 100% satisfied with this supplier.
    http://www.mannlakeltd.com/

Yes Grant I to have the same experience with the "waxed" plastic foundations. My question was about the "unwaxed" versions and how perfectly you had to be in applying the wax coating with them.

We try to cover it all but dont worry about corners and little missed spots. The 4" foam brush takes two passes on each side. One on top and one on bottom. Overlaps a little in middle.

Like Grant, we are trying to work fast and dont worry about little missed spots.

Works good.

Johnny

Thank You