Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thumbs Up Re: Stapler question

I have been using the Central Pnuematic 18G crown stapler from Harbor Freight for about 5 years. Started out using it as a finish nailer to do all the trim in my house. I have stapled frames for about 500 supers, put together about 100 inner cover feeders and stapled aluminum covers on about 100 lids. I use 1" Porter Cable staples. I always put a couple of drops of oil into the air intake before I start using it and I may use it up to 5 hrs at a time. This thing was a gift from my brother-inlaw who works in contruction. I keep waiting for it to break/quit or whatever knowing it is not on the high end of quality but it just seems to keep going and going. I have never had jam or have it mess up in any way. The last Harbor Freight ad had them on sale for about $16 and was thinking about buying another one for back up because I am sure it is going to quit when I least expect it with all the "mileage" I have put on it. I have 1000 frames to put together before spring. But I can't complain, it has been a great stapler for me.

Default Re: Stapler question

Quote Originally Posted by Dunkel View Post
    I have had really good luck with the bostitch reconditioned ones on ebay for 45 bucks. They also have a warranty period included.
    me too

Since we are talking staplers and quality, can I get some advice on who makes the best stapler. I dont mean to high jack this thread but being Kingfisher may also be in the market for a new one it may be of benefit for him as well.

Being I was in the roofing trade for over ten years I know to well that cheap is worth every penny you pay and not one cent more. I liked Hitachi and Bostitch roofing nailers. All my power tools were mostly Hitachi and I loved them. Most folks who will not use a tool for an everyday job or dont have experience with a particular type of tool will think that cheap piece of crap from harbor freight is a good deal but they really dont have any idea what they dont have. I want my stapler to be the last one I buy for five years or better with any luck and I dont want to have to send it in for warranty work. I plan on putting together 300 or more hives over the next four years or so and that adds up to 10000-15000 or more frames and that could add up to 100,000 staples. Im guessing Bostitch is a good one to start with but if there is a god of stapler guns I want to know about it.

I stopped at a pawn shop today and seen a Bostitch that looked brand new for 50 dollars. I stopped at menards and it appears to be an older model of what is now on market for $110. Some times older model means better model.

Thanks for all or any advice.

we use SENCO, BOSTICH and HITACHI guns......Harbor Freight stuff is usually junk. The SENCO gun we are using is 15 years old, the BOSTICH is about 10, and the HITACHI is about 5 years old. I cant even begin to imagine how many staples these guns have through them but other than a seal replacement on the SENCO about 2 years ago ($30) they have been problem free. 4 drops of air tool oil before each use, dont overdose on the oil.
    A government large enough to provide everything you need is strong enough to take everything you have. T. Jefferson

At the recommendation of our carpenter friend, my husband bought me a Porter Cable compressor/2 nail gun/stapler set for my birthday last year (I like to build stuff in my free time). It was under $300 and we use it all the time. I love the little compressor, as I can lug it around wherever I need to take it! It is also an oil-free system, so almost no maintenance is involved.

The couple Harbor Freight items I have (brad nailer and 1/4" crown stapler) were purchased first for the price. second to see if those items would be useful in the business I was doing at the time. I figured then if I found the tools to be useful, when I wore them out I would buy a major brand. So far they have held up - just waiting until I have the chance to upgrade
    Cheers,
    Paul VanSlyke

For seven years, maintenance free Porter Cable brad nailer, nailer/stapler, Paslode framing nailer and Paslode 18ga cordless. Regularly used in renovation business.For Christmas got Hitachi 18ga 1 1/2" stapler for beekeeping equipment only. Got no money to waste on cheap tools.
    Last edited by MARBIS; 01-16-2011 at 06:12 AM.
    ==Northumberland County Beekeeper, Trent Hills, Ontario==

Just my $0.02.
    You might want to take a look at a Senco model SLS25XP. (MO6-17)
    Ernie
    Ernie
    My websitehttp://bees4u.com/

I have staplers in 1/4", 3/8", 1/2" and 1" crowns. All are Senco. The 1/4" crown is 20 yrs old and I'm guessing has shot over 1 million staples. Replaced a broken driver blade once and the o-ring kit at the same time. The 3/8" is the SLS25XP as mentioned earlier. It's my fav for user friendly, light and maneuverable. Upholsterers use this nailer a lot so shorter staples (3/8" - 5/8", good for attaching screen on sbb) are cheap but I've found longer lengths (1 1/2" max) to be rather expensive. The next is the 1/2" crown SNS44XP. It uses about half the air as it's predecessor which is important if using a smaller air compressor or running multiple guns on the job site. This is bigger gun, so less maneuverable, but it can't be stopped. I use this one most because the 1 3/4" staples are dirt cheap. I can buy a box of 10k for about 1/2 the cost of 1 1/2" x 3/8" crown. I use this one for assembling all my bee equipment, even frames (I tape a small block under the magazine so the gun is perfectly square to the end bar when fired). The 1", actually a roofing stapler, I use often to quickly butt join lumber. 3 or 4 staples across the joint has amazing holding ability, even more if you can hit the other side of the joint. All but the 1/4" have adjustable depth of drive. This is important because it allows you to turn up the air pressure, so you can blow through knots or high density wood, and still set to a perfect depth without overdriving (the building inspectors here are sticklers about this).

I started using Senco guns decades ago because there was a local dealer. Even after other brands became available I stuck with em because of durability and reliability. Another factor you might consider is if/when your nailer breaks can you get parts and/or repair done locally and quickly. Since I use my nailers/staplers in a professional capacity it's important I own a tool that I don't have to worry about breaking. Wouldn't even consider a harbor freight POS. A lot of rookie carpenters get em to start with and usually within a few months have upgraded to a pro tool. It's cheaper in the long run. I also just realized the ones that don't/won't upgrade aren't in the trades very long, I think there's something there .

What size crown staple are most of you guys using for frame assembly? 1/4 * 3/8"?

The local place that specializes in staple guns said stick with the 1/4 crown instead of the 3/8s. I agree with them, I can get 1/4 staples practically everywhere. I just got 5000 1/4 by 1.5 staples at a small lumber yard for $10. That beats harbor freights price on the 1" staples. Whats the point anyway in 1/8s more crown? If I get a bigger size I will get a 7/16 for boxes.

mike
    Please check out the new kingfisherapiaries.com!
    Like us on Facebook

Kingfisher; the point in the 3/8" crown is that only one staple is needed at each end of the frame, 4 total. No glue needed. Secondly the 3/8" x 1 1/2" also does a great job on boxes. One man, one gun, thousands of boxes and frames!