Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Stapler question

I have been using a cheapo Harbor Freight Stapler as advised by several members of this forum. I have already put about 1k cheap staples from harbor freight through it. Worked like a charm. I went to shoot 1.5 inch grip tite staples this evening into nuc boxes, and after a while the gun started shooting the nails about 3/4 the way in, and then crumbling the top. That, a few good staples, and then a few miss fires. The first couple hundred shot just fine. Is this the gun or the staples? I have the psi on the compressor set at 100.

mike
    Please check out the new kingfisherapiaries.com!
    Like us on Facebook

Default Re: Stapler question

Does it require oiling? You may need to get some tool oil and put a few drops in the inlet where you hook up the air line. Some need that. Yours might not, but I can't see it hurting it if you are judicious. Wait for better advice.

check to see if you have a PSI increase on your gun - if not try to increase your psi on the tank - test it on a scap 2x4 - see how it goes - - most guns need oil before use - and more often if use a lot -

Trust me i have oiled the fool out of it, like 2 drops for 160 staples. I will fool with the depth adjustment.
    mike
    Like us on Facebook

hey mike - TOO much oil is WORSE then not enough
    it will build up inside and act as a shock abosber
    might have to take the gun apart and clean out the oil then start over

sawdust can get in and clog the driving piston too, especially if there is abundant oil
    americasbeekeeper.com
    beekeeper@americasbeekeeper.com

No sawdust, been kept in a box. The gun is only about 3 weeks old. If I cannot get it to work I will return it and get a brand spanking new one. Maybe to much oil
    How should i go about getting a oiler for my air line? What kind of oil do i put in? The oil that i got with the gun is light like water, the stuff I have seen is really dark and thick.

mike
    Like us on Facebook

I had a cheapee that came with the air compressor, it jammed constantly. I called a cabinet maker buddy of mine and he said he never gets jams with the Bostitch so....it went in the trash and I went to Lowe's and bought a Bostitch, not a single problem since. Only thing is they are pricey!

I know bostich is good, but I really do not want to spend the dough. The thing is is that it is the 1.5 staples with a parifin covering that are giving me fits. I will try some 1 inch staples that do not have glue on them.
    Like us on Facebook

The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.

the best oil for any air operated system is CP 22 - but most hardware stores sell it under the common name air gun oil -

like i mentioned before - i was a millwright for 10 years in a sawmill - we had 40 air staple guns that were used in the paperwraping of the finished lumber - ive done my fair share of staple gun repair!!!!!

but its true you get what you get with the money your didnt spend -

anyhow on the guns there is i an output area - it has a screen on it - take it off - usually 3 allens - then take the staples out of it and hook it to air - then fire the trigger untill the oil doesnt come out -
    see if this helps

What is the Paraffin for on the staples? Does it hold tighter? I did notice that one of the suppliers uses them in their assembled frames.

I've tried numerous brands of fasteners (been in construction for 24) in several different brands of guns. I've had nothing but problems with grip rite fas'ners. To me the name says it all...fas'ners. Well golly gee Jimbob, let's us go down yonder and pick us up some fas'ners from the hardware s'plier. GR fas'ners are too soft I think.
    Another problem you might be having is that cheap gun. The driver blades on cheap guns tend to wear quickly. Once they start rounding the problem is compounded. Even on my Senco I lap the blade with a file every 100,000 staples or so. Just a couple strokes to square it up.
    I know cost is an issue but when you can afford it I'd recommend upgrading to a name brand stapler, Senco, Hitachi and Bostich are all commonly found on construction jobsites, and upgrade to a better fastener (same as nailgun brands above, I've also had excellent success with Fanaco brand if it's available in your area).
    FWIW - 1 3/4", 1/2" crown staples are very popular here in the NW. I use them on everything, even assembling frames. You just have to make sure you can shoot straight with that length of staple. I use that staple because I can buy 3x as many for the same price as the less common 1 1/2" staple.

This is not a perfect comparison, but there are two things I thought I'd add. I have bought 2 nail guns from harbor freight and haven't had a problem with either of them. I have a roofing nailer and a finishing nailer. Both are working great. 2 thoughts for you. . . Most air nailers that I'm aware of will blow through with the PSI at 100. I realize that the size of the nails / staples requires different PSI so you'll need to test. The second thought is the material that you're nailing. For instance a 2x4 is very soft. If you set the gun to nail / staple flush on a 2x4 and then try to go into plywood or OSB or Oak for example you'll need to increase the PSI. I was just using my finishing nailer and had the PSI at 40 or 50. If I had more it would have blown through the trim I was installing. Also, again depending upon what you're going through you may have nails / staples that are too soft as mentioned, however I've had times where I've hit something harder (a knot in the wood or something) and it has bent the nail. This wasn't a "too soft" issue, but my mistake. Too much oil is definitely a problem as is water in the lines. Make sure you drain your compressor regularly also. Hope these thoughts help.

hate to say this, but i've never bought anything from harbor freight that has turned out to be usable...

One portable grinding wheel we bought actually caught on fire after a couple of days..

I use craftsmen, and dewalt. I really believe what you buy should last forever and spending the extra is always worth it...

if you are going to make hives .... lots of hives... close your eyes and buy a good one...

I have had really good luck with the bostitch reconditioned ones on ebay for 45 bucks. They also have a warranty period included.

Quote Originally Posted by avalonweddingsbcs View Post
    if you are going to make hives .... lots of hives... close your eyes and buy a good one...
    I have to say I totally agree. I have had descent success with Harbor freight (not perfect), but I'm not using the tools every day, nor am I using them a lot when I do. If you're wanting to use it every day then by all means don't waste your time with Harbor freight. For someone having a hobby it's a great way to save money. Just know when / if you buy whatever don't have higher expectations than what you are buying. If you pay $20.00 for a nail gun, don't expect it to work as one that you'd pay $150.00.

I used it today, I shot a lot of air through it and it shot pretty good. I may even go and get another one. The problem is most likely the staples.
    The staples are the yellow tinted ones, looks like they are dipped in something.

mike
    Like us on Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by Kingfisher Apiaries View Post
    The staples are the yellow tinted ones, looks like they are dipped in something.
    Most all (that I've tried anyway) are a similar yellow/gold color. Most all (again, that I've tried) have a coating that literally hot glues the fas'ner in place. About the only exception I can think of is stainless fasteners.
    As delber said watch your air pressure, although if your nailer has a depth adjustment you can leave the pressure up (to blow through knots and such) and still set to the desired depth (unless the staples are too soft and just bend ).

Been buying hitachi and harbor freight staples. The both are not coated.

I know i should get a better stapler, but I was talking to the guy that did our windows this week (he specializes in siding) and his crew likes the HB stapler better than the senco. He says the senco usually collects dust on the truck. I will see how many staples this thing lasts through and give a report.

mike
    Like us on Facebook

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast