Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default Bumble bee homes

I have lots of differant types of Bumbles that crusie my yard during the summer. I have yet to try and figure out who they are. Are there any good color reference sheets out there? I don't what to be dragging a book around, but a good plastic coated sheet that I could keep on my deck would be fantastic. Also, anybody had much luck with Bumble houses? I want to start a couple, but have read that they are not very successful.
    I'm like the weatherman- right about half of the time.

Default Re: Bumble bee homes

I have used simple square wood boxes with a top entrance in the lid.

a 12 inch square box is usually big enough.
    No, I am NOT a bee "Keeper". Anything I post is just my opinion. Take it easy and think for yourself.

UNL had some references for bumble bees on their etymology site. You might search there.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

This is what I did, the bees did well but the box was too small the nest quickly outgrew it. Surprising how fast the nest expands.
    Normal hive in the background gives an idea of size.

44 years, been commercial, outfits up to 4000 hives, now 120 hives and 200 nucs as a hobby, selling bees. T (mostly).

Try making a nice color copy of this webpage.
    http://www.bumblebee.org/NorthAmerica.htm

One of the locals here uses the medium size flat-rate shipping boxes from USPS. They're free too.

Thank you all for the insite. Great photos and website.

Dave
    I'm like the weatherman- right about half of the time.

For anyone who's serious about finding, identifying, starting, and raising bumble bees, i sugest the book 'the humble bee' it is an older book but very informative.
    Will Gruenwald Chilliwack BC

Are skunks or possums a problem as vandals to bumble bee nest boxes?
    The little bee returns with evening's gloom,
    To join her comrades in the braided hive... -Tennyson

Oldtimer, how'd you get the bees in the box? Did you bait them to get them to move in or transplant them?
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

Totally easy, I do some bee removal work, in this case the bumblebees were in some rubbish under someones house. The people insisted I did not kill them so I just scooped the whole thing into a cardboard box and took them home.

I noticed they had a queen and seemed healthy so I took the time & made a more permanent wooden home for them. In the pic you do not see the nest proper, because they put a little cover over it made of whatever materials they have to hand, held together with wax and propolis. Under the untidy looking fluffy stuff you can see in the pic, is the nest, which is made of an untidy pile of cocoons and honey pots, which look a bit like acorns and acorn cups.
    44 years, been commercial, outfits up to 4000 hives, now 120 hives and 200 nucs as a hobby, selling bees. T (mostly).

Quote Originally Posted by Omie View Post
    Are skunks or possums a problem as vandals to bumble bee nest boxes?
    Yes they are. It's important to make sure that your boxs are protected so that they can't get to them. I had a possum over turn my nest and ate all the brood and goodies, I learnt my lesson well on that one.

i see a common design for bumble bee nest boxes has two chambers- a nest chamber and a 'vestibule' empty chamber where they first go in the opening. What is the purpose of this two-room box, and is it necessary to have two chambers?
    The little bee returns with evening's gloom,
    To join her comrades in the braided hive... -Tennyson

That's commercial nests where they keep them locked in, they use one chamber as a toilet.

In the 'humblebee" there are designs for making the bumblebee homes. the most intigrated one has a vestibule and layers you can add to it. the simplest one is made with a upside down clay pot under ground with a board and sod on top. I don't think it's entirely neccessary to have a vestibule.

The 2 chamber boxes are indeed used commercially - they capture bumblebee queens (or lure them into the boxes) in the early spring when they are searching for nests, and lock them in with a clump of (honey bee) pollen. After she has started laying and developing her nest, then they are free flying.

Commercial bumblebees? commercial implies profit? How would $ be made from bumbles?

Pollination of tomatoes in greenhouses.

Quote Originally Posted by brac View Post
    How would $ be made from bumbles?
    There are a couple of outfits in N America that sell bumble bee colony/boxes. Their biggest market, I'm told, is pollination in greenhouses.
    Dan www.boogerhillbee.com
    Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards

i saw my first bumble bee of the year yesterday. hopefully I can get one to move into the house I put out for them.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast