Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Apairy Management Software

29K views 42 replies 24 participants last post by  Jorn Johanesson 
#1 ·
Is there a software program out there for the hobbist/small sideliner beek that will help with record keeping?

#7 · (Edited by Moderator)
Call me old fashioned, but I'd rather keep all my data on my pc.

I'm with you on this Mike. That is exactly what has kept me from using these packages. I guess we're both dinosaurs, but I much prefer having MY data on MY computer. Kind of like Quicken, my data isn't on the quicken server, it is on my computer (for better or worse). I'd be willing to pay for a version of Hivetracks or some other software package that was not exclusively web-based.

#5 ·
What would be useful is a program that uses a hand held scanner like an Intermec CN3. Bar code every hive, and enter the information on site, then upload when you get back to the office, or via the 3G connection. Something that would run on Windows Mobile, or Mobile phone.

Bryn

#9 ·
I dont know much about coding BUT If you have any experiance with Excel you could make a pretty good spreadsheet with graphs too if you want.
Which is what i was thinking about doing my self.
I was heavy into breeding Snakes and did that to basically to keep a feeding & medication record for the young i was selling to give to the buyers..
Why kinda info are you looking to record?
Date
Time
Hive#
Weather/Temp
Activity- Routine inspection, Feeding, Re-Queening, Medication, Splitting hives, Adding supers, Honey Harvest. ect...
General observation Notes
Actions Taken

If i missed anything let me know.
Im not the best with excel but I can giter done ;)
Unless we have an excel guru around that would be willing to whip something up for the community... :D

#10 ·
My beekeeping software is still available. Even it is a bit old, the beekeeping have not changed and therefore my software is still valid. Take a look and if you have items you think is of interest for a general beekeeping and you want those incorporated, you are welcome to contackt me.

Bidata the multilingual beekeeping software, now free of charge.

#11 ·
Jorn,

I keep a link to your program on my website at all times.

I like it because it is very flexible. the tables are easy to modify. I have customized it relatively well to accommodate top bar hives and warre hives.

Thank you for making it available free.

As a matter of fact, it runs very well on Linux using Wine (windows emulation)

Big Bear

#13 ·
#12 ·
I have used the scanner and online app with my windows smart phone - works fine and very quickly captures the hive bar code. So you scan the bar code on the hive and it takes you to the specific web page for that hive and you enter the data (mostly check marks, so I can do it with gloves on) - so data is instantly entered - you don't upload it later as it is an online app (but obviously you need cell coverage at your hives - I have to have good cell coverage, so good web browsing, at my hives)

I use the i-nigma windows mobile app for bar code capture. You just have to make sure the bar code is big enough (the beetight program produces one that is big). I have tried to capture other bar codes that are small (less than an inch square) and it can't recognize it. (was at a pizza place the other day and all the wait staff had a bar code on their back that said "scan me" . . . obviously just took you to the web site for the pizza place, but I had to try it. Took a while to get the wrinkles out of the t-shirt - waiter had to hold the shirt taught, but eventually I was able to capture the bar code from the t-shirt - I love the technology).

What would be useful is a program that uses a hand held scanner like an Intermec CN3. Bar code every hive, and enter the information on site, then upload when you get back to the office, or via the 3G connection. Something that would run on Windows Mobile, or Mobile phone.

#14 ·
Unless we have an excel guru around that would be willing to whip something up for the community... :D[/QUOTE]

I'm a structural engineer, and am fairly decent with Excel. I'd be happy to work something up for the community If I could get some feedback and constructive criticizm. My biggest problem is that I'm not a very experienced beekeeper. (starting my first three hives this spring) so I'm interested in helping if anyone has some guidance on what to put into the spreadsheet.

thanks

#16 ·
if anyone has some guidance on what to put into the spreadsheet.
On my web I have put up a little software ment for printing out a hivenote card. Why not take this down and have a look at what danish beekeepers have been used for a century. The fields are what the danish beekeeper society recommend for notetaking. There is no entry for the weather, because this does not belong on a individual hivenotecard, but in a notebook for general notes. But of course you can put it in if you think it is needed.

#17 ·
Dear beekeeping friends.

My Internet provider is pulling the plug so I have to go mobile internet. This means that I have to kill my web, because i can not acces it without a fixed ip, and mobile internet can not provide this. So my Bidata will disapear Unless someone are villing to host it. So I am asking You hier : Someone that can host my software?

#20 ·
I've used a couple of different programs. They all have good and not so good points. What I ended up doing a lot is using my phone to record voice messages and then key the data when I'm back in the house. I inspect a hive, get done with the inspection and then record a voice message stating which hive I was working with, what I found, what I did, the weather, etc. I just play the recordings back when I'm in front of the PC and I'm all set. It's quicker than trying to key it all in when I'm in the field and it gives me more time to review historical data that the PC shows than when I'm squinting at the phone in the sun or dodging raindrops.

Just a thought....

#22 ·
I've started using the free edition of Beetight (since I only have 2 hives), and I like it. It's simple and seems pretty robust. I can't use the android app that comes with the paid version, but the QR code that you can print off is a nice touch. I'd definitely code my hives if I had more than 4-5. Would probably work great printing onto some label stock, and if I were a commercial beek, I'd definitely stick an extra QR code under the bottom board to help in identifying stolen hives.

#24 ·
FL Beak, some of the new labels are pretty good. We use ones that can't be torn etc... and they last in the sun. Only issue, they stick a little better to non painted surfaces for the most part (inside a hive should be fine, not windy in there). Other than that, they peel off and stick just like any other label.

I've started my Access DB for beekeeps. If you want something added let me know. I'm just building the structure now, got the main menu up and it cycles through pics you can link to it. I do plan on making it barcoding friendly, but not sure how much interest is there really. It will have equipment tracking as well.

#26 ·
I use the paid version of beetight, which is cheap, and gives you quite a bit of added functionality. The only thing I dislike about it is the interface is a bit wonky, especially on the mobile apps. Still, its a good value.

#27 ·
Astro,

I'll have to see what we get. Our printers are thermal transfer, a laser would be just as good as far as durability. The label is actually made of plastic I believe but you wouldn't know it until you try to rip it, they're pretty tough. Inside the hive was mentioned as a way of safeguarding for theft purposes, outside they should work fine, we've just noticed with painted surface, they may blow off in high winds where as plain wood stakes etc... no issues at all.

jdawdy, i'm creating this more for people running it as a small business. It will have hive tracking but also more business related stuff (like inventory management/sales) etc... built in as well.

#29 ·
Yes Florida,

It will have forms on it to allow for inventory management via barcode scanning etc... Tracking purchases/income as well. Once I get the bulk of it ready, if you need customization I will work with you. I will begin putting the function together this week. My main goal is to be able to print out worksheets for a set of hives or outyards that you can collect data on or make notes etc... as well as track inidividual hive data as you it suits you. I may put in a queen building form as well, but will need some consensus for that, but my plan is for the user to input their start or end dates and it can build the rest but it's not as easy as it sounds since people use different methods. But, it would allow to track how many cells went in, how many came out, how many queens produced in the end with minimal effort.

Basic hive/outyard/apiary set up will be straightforward. Put in location, # hives, brand etc..... Track equipment size/# broodboxes/# supers added/Queen source. Feel free to pm me with any other ideas.

#31 ·
Playing around with both Beetight and Hive Tracks, I sort of have a preference for Hive Tracks. I like the main page layout - with number of stacked hives and color coordination - and so I can see how built up my colonies are what shape they're in without having to delve too deep into the program. Both are powerful tools, it's just user preference in the end :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.