Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Apairy Management Software

Is there a software program out there for the hobbist/small sideliner beek that will help with record keeping?

Default Re: Apairy Management Software

I use Hive Tracks at http://www.hivetracks.com. It works well for me and it's free.

You also might want to check out these:

http://www.beetight.com/

http://www.mybeehives.com/

Does anyone know of a management tool that does not run on the web?

Call me old fashioned, but I'd rather keep all my data on my pc.

Take Care,
    Mike

What would be useful is a program that uses a hand held scanner like an Intermec CN3. Bar code every hive, and enter the information on site, then upload when you get back to the office, or via the 3G connection. Something that would run on Windows Mobile, or Mobile phone.

Bryn

The beetight software listed above does pretty much what you asked for. It uses the Android-based phones (probably supports most smart phones) and "Smart Hive Lables" to allow you to easily identify a given hive and enter data.
    Last edited by Barry; 01-11-2011 at 08:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by heritageorchard View Post

Call me old fashioned, but I'd rather keep all my data on my pc.

I'm with you on this Mike. That is exactly what has kept me from using these packages. I guess we're both dinosaurs, but I much prefer having MY data on MY computer. Kind of like Quicken, my data isn't on the quicken server, it is on my computer (for better or worse). I'd be willing to pay for a version of Hivetracks or some other software package that was not exclusively web-based.
    Last edited by Barry; 01-11-2011 at 08:39 AM. Reason: excessive quoting

I was just thinking of posing that same question! I am putting together a database of beekeeping online tools, forums, catalogs, and sites for my beekeeping class/club. I had hivetracks, and mybeehives, but beetight was a new one to add--thanks!

I dont know much about coding BUT If you have any experiance with Excel you could make a pretty good spreadsheet with graphs too if you want.
    Which is what i was thinking about doing my self.
    I was heavy into breeding Snakes and did that to basically to keep a feeding & medication record for the young i was selling to give to the buyers..
    Why kinda info are you looking to record?
    Date
    Time
    Hive#
    Weather/Temp
    Activity- Routine inspection, Feeding, Re-Queening, Medication, Splitting hives, Adding supers, Honey Harvest. ect...
    General observation Notes
    Actions Taken

If i missed anything let me know.
    Im not the best with excel but I can giter done
    Unless we have an excel guru around that would be willing to whip something up for the community...

My beekeeping software is still available. Even it is a bit old, the beekeeping have not changed and therefore my software is still valid. Take a look and if you have items you think is of interest for a general beekeeping and you want those incorporated, you are welcome to contackt me.

Bidata the multilingual beekeeping software, now free of charge.
    Retired beekeeper, Free beekeeping software
    http://apimo.dk apimo@apimo.dk links to beekeeping vidios

Jorn,

I keep a link to your program on my website at all times.

I like it because it is very flexible. the tables are easy to modify. I have customized it relatively well to accommodate top bar hives and warre hives.

Thank you for making it available free.

As a matter of fact, it runs very well on Linux using Wine (windows emulation)

Big Bear
    No, I am NOT a bee "Keeper". Anything I post is just my opinion. Take it easy and think for yourself.

I have used the scanner and online app with my windows smart phone - works fine and very quickly captures the hive bar code. So you scan the bar code on the hive and it takes you to the specific web page for that hive and you enter the data (mostly check marks, so I can do it with gloves on) - so data is instantly entered - you don't upload it later as it is an online app (but obviously you need cell coverage at your hives - I have to have good cell coverage, so good web browsing, at my hives)

I use the i-nigma windows mobile app for bar code capture. You just have to make sure the bar code is big enough (the beetight program produces one that is big). I have tried to capture other bar codes that are small (less than an inch square) and it can't recognize it. (was at a pizza place the other day and all the wait staff had a bar code on their back that said "scan me" . . . obviously just took you to the web site for the pizza place, but I had to try it. Took a while to get the wrinkles out of the t-shirt - waiter had to hold the shirt taught, but eventually I was able to capture the bar code from the t-shirt - I love the technology).

What would be useful is a program that uses a hand held scanner like an Intermec CN3. Bar code every hive, and enter the information on site, then upload when you get back to the office, or via the 3G connection. Something that would run on Windows Mobile, or Mobile phone.

Quote Originally Posted by bigbearomaha View Post
    Jorn,

I keep a link to your program on my website at all times.
    Thank you so much!

Quote Originally Posted by bigbearomaha View Post
    As a matter of fact, it runs very well on Linux using Wine (windows emulation)
    It will also run on a Mac using the same wine software i have heard!

Unless we have an excel guru around that would be willing to whip something up for the community... [/QUOTE]

I'm a structural engineer, and am fairly decent with Excel. I'd be happy to work something up for the community If I could get some feedback and constructive criticizm. My biggest problem is that I'm not a very experienced beekeeper. (starting my first three hives this spring) so I'm interested in helping if anyone has some guidance on what to put into the spreadsheet.

thanks

Can Excel interface with RFID readers?

Roland

Quote Originally Posted by Bull Creek View Post
    if anyone has some guidance on what to put into the spreadsheet.
    On my web I have put up a little software ment for printing out a hivenote card. Why not take this down and have a look at what danish beekeepers have been used for a century. The fields are what the danish beekeeper society recommend for notetaking. There is no entry for the weather, because this does not belong on a individual hivenotecard, but in a notebook for general notes. But of course you can put it in if you think it is needed.

Dear beekeeping friends.

My Internet provider is pulling the plug so I have to go mobile internet. This means that I have to kill my web, because i can not acces it without a fixed ip, and mobile internet can not provide this. So my Bidata will disapear Unless someone are villing to host it. So I am asking You hier : Someone that can host my software?

I use these 2... and both are free.

Hive Tracks

And here is a Mobile App for an Android Phone.
    Beehive Manager

Quote Originally Posted by Jorn Johanesson View Post
    So my Bidata will disapear Unless someone are villing to host it. So I am asking You hier : Someone that can host my software?
    Google Sites offers free hosting for personal websites:
    https://sites.google.com/?pli=1
    Graham
    USDA Zone 7A Elevation 1400 ft

I've used a couple of different programs. They all have good and not so good points. What I ended up doing a lot is using my phone to record voice messages and then key the data when I'm back in the house. I inspect a hive, get done with the inspection and then record a voice message stating which hive I was working with, what I found, what I did, the weather, etc. I just play the recordings back when I'm in front of the PC and I'm all set. It's quicker than trying to key it all in when I'm in the field and it gives me more time to review historical data that the PC shows than when I'm squinting at the phone in the sun or dodging raindrops.

Just a thought....
    "My wife always wanted girls. Just not thousands and thousands of them......"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast