Hybrid View

Default Apairy Management Software

Is there a software program out there for the hobbist/small sideliner beek that will help with record keeping?

Default Re: Apairy Management Software

I use Hive Tracks at http://www.hivetracks.com. It works well for me and it's free.

You also might want to check out these:

http://www.beetight.com/

http://www.mybeehives.com/

Does anyone know of a management tool that does not run on the web?

Call me old fashioned, but I'd rather keep all my data on my pc.

Take Care,
    Mike

What would be useful is a program that uses a hand held scanner like an Intermec CN3. Bar code every hive, and enter the information on site, then upload when you get back to the office, or via the 3G connection. Something that would run on Windows Mobile, or Mobile phone.

Bryn

The beetight software listed above does pretty much what you asked for. It uses the Android-based phones (probably supports most smart phones) and "Smart Hive Lables" to allow you to easily identify a given hive and enter data.
    Last edited by Barry; 01-11-2011 at 08:39 AM.

I have used the scanner and online app with my windows smart phone - works fine and very quickly captures the hive bar code. So you scan the bar code on the hive and it takes you to the specific web page for that hive and you enter the data (mostly check marks, so I can do it with gloves on) - so data is instantly entered - you don't upload it later as it is an online app (but obviously you need cell coverage at your hives - I have to have good cell coverage, so good web browsing, at my hives)

I use the i-nigma windows mobile app for bar code capture. You just have to make sure the bar code is big enough (the beetight program produces one that is big). I have tried to capture other bar codes that are small (less than an inch square) and it can't recognize it. (was at a pizza place the other day and all the wait staff had a bar code on their back that said "scan me" . . . obviously just took you to the web site for the pizza place, but I had to try it. Took a while to get the wrinkles out of the t-shirt - waiter had to hold the shirt taught, but eventually I was able to capture the bar code from the t-shirt - I love the technology).

What would be useful is a program that uses a hand held scanner like an Intermec CN3. Bar code every hive, and enter the information on site, then upload when you get back to the office, or via the 3G connection. Something that would run on Windows Mobile, or Mobile phone.

Quote Originally Posted by heritageorchard View Post

Call me old fashioned, but I'd rather keep all my data on my pc.

I'm with you on this Mike. That is exactly what has kept me from using these packages. I guess we're both dinosaurs, but I much prefer having MY data on MY computer. Kind of like Quicken, my data isn't on the quicken server, it is on my computer (for better or worse). I'd be willing to pay for a version of Hivetracks or some other software package that was not exclusively web-based.
    Last edited by Barry; 01-11-2011 at 08:39 AM. Reason: excessive quoting

I was just thinking of posing that same question! I am putting together a database of beekeeping online tools, forums, catalogs, and sites for my beekeeping class/club. I had hivetracks, and mybeehives, but beetight was a new one to add--thanks!

True, it wouldn't be like a spot gps or anything, but it could help if someone did a quick repaint of hive bodies and you had a hunch.

FL Beak, yes, the only downside with Hive Tracks is the need for cell reception. Fortunately all my yards have that possibility. If not I would go with another program.

NFC chips and Android? Put the tag in the hive, touch your phone to the outside of the hive and have the phone do whatever you've scripted it to (insert a row in a database, submit a webform, text someone, anything you want to record your hive visit / activities).

Dunc

Quote Originally Posted by dunc View Post
    NFC chips and Android?
    See my post for a NFC/Android approach.

http://www.beesource.com/forums/show...ony-inspection
    Horseshoe Point Honey -- http://localvahoney.com/