Default Guide bar width for top bars?

Hi, I just finished all 33 top bars with the guides inserted into a cut groove down the middle. Now I'm wondering if maybe they may hang down too much. The guide sticks out 1/2 an inch. Should I remove some of the guide? Also, do you think I need to fill in the grooves on either side of the guide? (I'm worried about places SHB may try to hide.) It would be quicker to use a caulking gun, but is this okay for use near where the comb will be? Thanks in advance for your response.

Default Re: Guide bar width for top bars?

1/2" is fine. 1/4" would be about minimum for reliable results. 3/4" will work...
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

I extend the guides the full length of the bar with 3/16th" to 1/4" protruding. With melted wax run down the 90 deg. angle the guide and bar make. My thought is that protrusion depth is close to one cell size and may be helpful in how well they follow the guide. I have had my best luck with these sizes rather than ones that protrude more, although they do follow the later just fine, just not always along the center line of the guide. I found when the guides were deeper the bees very often chose to build one side of the guide or the other. Some times on the diagonal. Seems that it gives them too many choices.

I have cut a saw kerf into each bar and inserted a strip of wood that extends along the length of the bar and protrudes about 3/8 of an inch and it seems to work very well. They fit tight, so I just set them in there with a little wood glue and they hold fast with no space left beside them in the kerf.

As for wax, Some say melt wax, others such as Michael Bush suggest using nothing. I have tried melted wax and found it was too thick and crumbled off easily - but I liked the idea of wax being there to encourage the attention of the bees. So I take hard wax and just rub it along the comb guides. The friction melts the wax and creates a fine coating which will not come off. It's simpler and uses far less wax as well.

So far, in four separate hives, this approach to bar construction and comb guides has worked without fail. The bees have built along the guides and fastened the combs straight and securely to each. I know it's not a huge number - but it's the experience I've had.

Adam

I attach a triangle of wood to the topbar : about 12inches long on a 17 inch topbar.
    Run a beeswax stick along the apex of the triangle a few times.
    So far worked perfectly in 2 hives - 44 top bars.

None of the complexity of other systems.. unneccessay complications...KISS.