Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Question About Substituting Honey For Sugar in Bread Recipes

54K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  DBeeCooper 
#1 ·
I got a bread making machine for Christmas. I want to know how to substitute honey for sugar or brown sugar in bread machine recipes. I assume this would be the same as regular bread recipes, but don't really know.

Specifically:

1. How much honey to I need to equal the sweetening power of one tablespoon of sugar or brown sugar?

2. For every teaspoon of honey substituted for sugar, how much should I decrease the water/liquid in the recipe?

Thanks,

Neil

#2 ·
1. Honey is substituted measure for measure for sugar, so 1 tablespoon of honey to replace 1 tablespoon of sugar or brown sugar.
2. The rule is to decrease the liquid in baked goods by 1/4 cup for every cup of honey, so you'd decrease the water by 1/4 teaspoon if you used a teaspoon of honey.

You're going to love baking bread with honey. I've made sourdough bread for some time now, and I definitely have noticed a difference since I started using my honey instead of sugar. The taste is better, and the bread stays fresh longer (given the chance!) due to honey's ability to absorb and retain moisture.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.