Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Re: essential oils vs varroa: does it work? syrup recipe?

He's a member of this forum.

Quote Originally Posted by rniles View Post
    What is the "Alpha 6 method"?
    It appears to be a reference to Beesource member alpha6. See post #3 of this thread:
    http://www.beesource.com/forums/show...-mite-question
    Graham
    USDA Zone 7A Elevation 1400 ft

I've spent a lot of time over on Randy Oliver's site scientificbeekeeping.com reading about varroa and CCD. If I am understanding him correctly, CCD is caused by viruses that the bee normally has. These viruses are exploding and overwhelming colonies because of the stresses placed on the colony. One big stress is varroa.

What occurs to me is that if mite wounds are infected with bacteria, then the bees will need to maintain a metabolically-expensive immune response for the rest of their lives in order to keep the bacteria in check (Hain 2008).

This bacterial infection has other consequences. Yang (2005) suggests that: “The increased replication of DWV in honey bees needs two components, varroa mite parasitization and exposure to a bacterial factor. This microbial challenge may naturally exist, because bacterial colonies are found on the varroa feeding sites in some bee pupae.” The suppression of bacterial infection by antibiotics may help mite-infested colonies to survive. Note that “antibiotics” may include the essential oils and propolis, rather than manmade antibiotics, the overuse of which leads to antibiotic-resistant bacteria.
    Which reinforces my intention to use essential oils in my new colonies this spring. His notion that we should be looking at virus control instead of just mite control is new for me. I do intend to follow some of his other suggestions, including using resistant stock.

If anyone is interested, the entire article can be found here:

http://http://scientificbeekeeping.c...aradigm-shift/

The entire series is also available on Dr. Oliver's site along with a lot of thought-provoking information. I'm still working my way through the links.

HTH

Rusty
    Last edited by Rusty Hills Farm; 12-26-2012 at 05:27 AM.
    Rusty Hills Farm -- home of AQHA A Rusty Zipper & Rusty's Bees ( LC and T)

I have been sending bee samples to David Wick for 6 months. compared to the first non treated, the viruses have dropped greatly and DWV is non-existant. Have been using only EO'S going on 4 years no treatment for AFB or nosema for 2.

very interesting,david. please elaborate on your method of using EO's.
    "Wine is a constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy" Ben Franklin

I start with a 275 gal tote add 25 gal water. I have a mix of equeal parts
    Tyme oil
    Lavender
    Tea tree
    Lemongrass
    Nat wintergreen
    Peppermint
    Eucalyptus 80/85
    I don't have the mix in front of me but think those are the ones I use. I take 9 oz of eo's 3 oz surficant (coco wet). Mix with 2 qt water. I blend with a hand held blender and blend till it looks like milk that is the key! I then add it to the 25 gal water then mix in 225 gal syrup with a tank mixer blending as you fill the tote. I use mixture every time I feed.
    This not a recommendation to treat any pest or disease!
    this is just what I do!
    Last edited by davidsbees; 12-25-2012 at 01:21 PM. Reason: update

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123