Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Default Re: Raising Queen Cells Without Grafting

Question, what camera are you using, great photos. Currently looking for a good camera to take picutes of my bees.

Hi Christopher, it's just a cheapo, a Panasonic Lumix, worth maybe US$120.00 or so.

For the close ups I use the little flower symbol (closeups), plus zoom all the way in, that way there is maximum megapixels in a small area so best chance of a reasonable shot.
    44 years, been commercial, outfits up to 4000 hives, now 120 hives and 200 nucs as a hobby, selling bees. T (mostly).

Quote Originally Posted by ChristopherA View Post
    ... what camera are you using, great photos. Currently looking for a good camera to take pictures of my bees.
    Someone recently suggested a Nikon Coolpix for its great macro capabilities and ease of use. I have been a SLR user for years and a skeptic about point and shoot cameras.

I bought one on eBay and highly recommend it! Currently Cametaauctions is selling hundreds of "Factory Refurbished" Coolpix S3000 (I think they are probably just closeouts - there are newer models now) - guaranteed for one year by Cameta and 90 days by Nikon.

The macro capability and the other automatic features are great. Very compact and light - fits right in a shirt pocket.

They are selling at auction for $50 - $60. This is a new camera that used to retail for three times that.

This has been a great read, oldtimer. One question: Is the three-frame section in the breeder hive where the foundation is introduced a permanent part of the hive box or is it a "drop-in" arrangement? Also, do you think this queen excluder section could be made with #7 hardware cloth -- the same size used in pollen traps permitting workers to pass through, but excluding the queen or drones?

Thanks

Edit: meant to say #5 hardware cloth. #7 would obviously not work.
    Last edited by Cyrus Brewster; 02-23-2011 at 02:42 PM.

Well in my case it's permanent I've stapled the excluder in place but doesn't have to be. In the off season the queen just goes over the other side of the excluder so has free run of a larger number of frames.

I'm not familiar with the mesh you mention I've never used it but if it does as you say, works as a queen excluder but lets bees through, ought to be fine.
    44 years, been commercial, outfits up to 4000 hives, now 120 hives and 200 nucs as a hobby, selling bees. T (mostly).

Oldtimer,

Had some time in the shop this afternoon and decided to make a drop-in cage to isolate the queen as you show in the first photo of your post. I made it to take three frames but it could have been any size. I used #5 wire mesh which has 3/16" openings (same as a queen excluder). I posted some pictures here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/1824172...7626136370612/

Wow that's quite a shop you have there! You are a professional cabinet maker or something?

I looked through some of your other pics, some nice woodwork and attractive hives and parts!

No, I'm just a retired hobbyist. By the way, it occurs to me that being able to sequester the queen temporarily in this way would come in handy with grafting too. No need to go hunting around for larvae the right age (put in a frame, wait the right amount of time and pull the frame).

Good point, could have an application in varroa management also!

Varroa management? You've got my attention. What's your thought there -- causing a break in brood?

Yes well to be honest I haven't used something exactly like what you've built but I did think it could be used for queen confinement and then only have to remove a small amount of brood to remove the varroa.

I have made something bit different but same idea, but it hasn't been as successful as I'd hoped.

oldtimer Thanks for all the good pictures. I am thick headed and pictures help me learn

Cyrus - where did you find that #5 hardware cloth? I've been looking all over for it. Seems like nobody makes that size anymore.

I goy it from Draper Bee Supply.

Big Thanks, Cyrus, I'll find them.

Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post
    Never say never.

Here's how to make it work. Put a queen excluder in your hive. Make sure the queen(s) are all below and place all your open brood above. The nurse bees will move up to take care of the open brood. And they will make queen cells.

You will get queen cells in the upper box above the excluder. Come back 7 days later and break that upper box into nucs, move the nucs to another bee yard (preferably), feed (very important) and you'll have the easiest, queen-right queen cells you ever saw.

Grant
    Jackson, MO
    With a queen still in the hive below the excluder what incentive does the bees have to make queen cells? I thought the queen had to be removed so the hive would think it was queenless. I am inexperienced so am I missing something here? Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by RZRBCK BEE View Post
    With a queen still in the hive below the excluder what incentive does the bees have to make queen cells? I thought the queen had to be removed so the hive would think it was queenless. I am inexperienced so am I missing something here? Thanks
    RZRBCK,
    I agree with you. Unless that colony was going to swarm anyway or there is more space between the queen and the open brood (say 2 boxes) I don't see why they would make queen cells right away just because the excluder is there. In fact, on occasion, I'll throw the excluder between the two brood boxes for a couple of days so I can figure out where the the queen is. I've never see queen cups created as a result. That that it couldn't happen, but . . . .
    If you were to put a Cloake board with the solid insert in place between the open brood box and the queen box, and block up the original entrance forcing the bees into the upper box, they would indeed make many queen cups in less than two days (queenless cell starter). Pull the solid insert out of the Cloake board on day 3 and you've got a queenright cell finisher (queen still below the excluder).
    Just remember to pull the frames of capped queen cells before you get to day 10 because they could be as old as ~14 days (from laying) and will hatch out at 16 days, but usually the bees only allow the queen cells reared from the youngest eggs to make it to maturity. By that I mean that I've reared queens several times this way and marked the ages of the started cups and the approximate capping time for each cup (this form of data gathering is a little disturbing, so I don't suggest you do it too often). The first capped cells from older larvae were always torn down before they hatched leaving way for the queens that received the most royal jelly to battle it out for supremacy.
    That's pretty much how I do it now (but with only eggs and a few more nuances) and it works wonderfully every time.
    ~Reid

Actually they will though - Google Ben Harden method or just check this out.

i am planning to try this, but am going to use drone foundation, i bought a 10 pack of drone foundation to use specificly for queens, i am wondering if thats what you used, and am thinking that the strips could be attached by bread ties or string, or wondering how a dripping beeswax candle would work. maybe less messier than a brush and a can, just a few ideas

The queen will only lay drone eggs in drone comb - you need to use regular (worker) foundation. As a matter of fact (if I remember correctly) if you look way back near the beginning of the thread the picture of the comb with larva in it coming out of the queen-mother hive you will see that the (foundationless) comb on the sides is drone comb. I don't guess that has anything to do with it though.

Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast