Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011

Default Re: Raising Queen Cells Without Grafting

What a great thread Oldtimer and just in time for me to catch and read it.
    I will be using your method to raise queens for the first time and with your lessons here, i can't miss

Thanks Cheech, all the best.

Is there a queen breeding industry in Jamaica or do people just breed for themselves?

OT, I'm new to beekeeping, just started studying it Nov. last year.
    Haven't heard of a queen farm as such, but talked to some experienced keepers in my area who indicate they would sell queens. So I imagine there are some who do raise some queens but most I hear increase by splits.
    I'm kinda partial to the Mike Palmer way of thinking, so I intend to be doing some queen raising on a small scale for hobby purposes

Yes well you won't do much better than using Michael Palmers methods, and not just for the queen rearing side.

I think grafting is not the best way to raise queens and therefore this method that Jay Smith described in his book is better indeed.

I grafted 30 cells these days and put them in an open starter. After a couple of hours I wanted to see how the larvae are fed and I noticed they were not fed at all. I made 17(I have another 20 or so that are not mated yet) queens so far this year all by grafting method and this time the failure was almost total.

The cell builder was made by M. Palmer method just that it was only on 6 frames. What I did a bit different was that I put the breeding frame into the starter from the beginning. I did this before on the previous batches and it worked nice.

After noticing the failure I just took the frame I grafted from and cut long pieces of comb which I welded on the bars collapsing it at intervals. The bees started a lot of queen cells using this method.

I'm sure I did something wrong along the way but this proves that this method is less prone to error then grafting.

What do you think?

Goodmorning,
    Oldtimer I ask you a little help. I would like to know the dimensions of the cages you put Queens (Queens bank) and size of the box to the construct. Also how many millimeters are in mesh cages? If if you want send me the information to email my email: melissosfaira@gmail.com Thanks

Oldtimer thanks for the prompt reply. I was delighted with the photos. I will construct immediately. thanks again

Would you help me with dimensions for a cage for Queen so that the intros to beehive? Unless you do not mind and apologize if I ask you to help again

Thanks very much for the effort you made for me .. It's very good. I would only ask for the small wood that is placed inside. Why put it? The hole to close with food? What opening put the food? Sorry for my questions

That wood is to separate off the candy compartment. If there is too much candy where the caged bees come in contact with it they can get sticky so there is just enough room for one bee.

With these wooden cages losses in the post and in introductions are lower than with plastic cages. Best to use the same size mesh as shown in the queen bank cages it protects the queen from getting her feet chewed on by the bees but the holes are big enough for a bees tongue.

Oldtimer I upload my small structure to see if it is right.
    I would also like to ask for the method with the three parts (an orphan and the other with queen or two orphans sections and one with queen) if the use and know about it. Upload a photo. With this large hive you can do everything. Production royal jelly, rearing queen bees, honey and pollen production. I am looking for literature for this method. If you know a book to buy. Thanks again
    t1.jpg
    t2.jpg
    method.jpg

Oldtimer I upload my small structure to see if it is right.
    I would also like to ask for the method with the three parts (an orphan and the other with queen or two orphans sections and one with queen) if the use and know about it. Upload a photo. With this large hive you can do everything. Production royal jelly, rearing queen bees, honey and pollen production. I am looking for literature for this method. If you know a book to buy. Thanks again
    t1.jpg
    t2.jpg
    method.jpg

The cage looks good!

Just make sure the queen can fit through the gap between the small block of wood and the side of the cage. I also usually put candy in that gap also because the bees in the cage eat some of it, so it stops them eating into the main block of candy. I also put a bit of greaseproof paper on the top of the candy, between the candy and the wire mesh, it stops the bees in the hive eating the candy too fast through the mesh.

The method you talk about with the hive with three parts, I don't think I use that method or know anything about it.

Oldtimer thanks again for the help and what detailed instructions

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011