Default Where Can I Buy 2 Queens?

I am a novice beekeeper and have somehow ended up with two queenless colonies post-swarm. (I am still scratching my head on that one, but we do have a lot of birds around here.)

The only thing left to do is to try to buy two queens as soon as possible (the swarm was at least three weeks ago and I have a laying worker now.) Does anyone know who can overnight me a queen?

Thanks in advance,
    Laura

Default Re: Where Can I Buy 2 Queens?

Laura, You're better off with capped queen cells in this situation if they are available to you locally.
    Heres a thread addressing your situation:

http://www.beesource.com/forums/show...t-What-do-I-do

Unless you have a frame of brood and young bees you can contribute to the colonies, laying workers will likely kill any mated queen you try to introduce.

Late in summer, sometimes a colony that is too far gone is best to just let go. Don't want to throw good money after bad, although some people are willing to do almost anything to rectify a colony, no matter what the cost.
    Last edited by Lauri; 07-25-2015 at 07:56 PM.

try Bjorn Apiaries, down her in central pa. they have a web site, I'll send you a personal message with the second guy's name and #, dont want to give it out to the public

Quote Originally Posted by lauranyc View Post
    I am a novice beekeeper and have somehow ended up with two queenless colonies post-swarm.
    You THINK you don't have queens post-swarm in two colonies?

I think you mean two colonies swarmed and their queens took off with the swarm (s). That "might" indicate the presence of virgin queen(s) in one or both of your "queenless" colonies. Wait a week or so and look again for a queen. Shop around but if you have laying workers...you need some brood not a mated queen.
    Internet credibility is an oxymoron

It's already been a month post-swarm. I had my mentor come over who is a professional beekeeper (full-time) and he confirmed my queenless state. I'm queenless, broodless and have a laying worker in one of the colonies. I'm considering giving up for the season, but thought I'd give it one last shot of finding new queens here.

"Don't give up the beeship!" as John Paul Jones would have said. I think it was him.
    Do you have access to frames of brood? Usually it takes putting a frame of brood in the laying worker hive every week for about three weeks, the brood pheromone inhibits the laying workers so you can introduce a ripe queen cell or mated queen.
    For the non laying worker hive, introduce the new queen just like it's a package as soon as you can get a queen before it goes laying worker.
    Good luck and keep us informed.

is there still a decent population of bees left in those hives? are there honey stores?
    if so, maybe your mentor can force a few queen cells on a couple of frames and sell them to you?
    mentors usually have the resources to do so.

where are your bees located?

I'm located in the eastern end of Long Island. Unfortunately, my mentor was not able to offer any queen cells.

Sam Comfort has treatment free queens for sale around your area. http://www.beesource.com/forums/show...ueens-for-Sale

Although with laying workers, you will have a more difficult time introducting a queen, like Lauri said. Maybe put the 2 queens in their own nucs with a smaller population of bees and get her laying. Then use a screened introduction cage to introduce her to the entire hive. I had better luck with my laying workers by giving them a ripe queen cells to hatch.

Thank you, Ruth! He's got queens for me.