Default Old flooring product

I'm getting ready to install oak strip flooring in a section of my house. I had to cut out some of the kitchen flooring where the oak will butt up against. I found a very interesting product that was used back in 1888 when the house was built. There are two vinyl floors over 1/4" plywood over the original 1/2" thick oak strip flooring. All this sits on top of a vapor barrier made like a quilt. Two layers of asbestos cloth with a shredded paper product (looks like pipe tobacco on steroids) sandwiched between. Anyone ever seen this before? I wonder how wide this stuff came. When I get around to redoing the kitchen floor, I'll find out.

Regards, Barry

Default Re: Old flooring product

I'd be worried about the asbestos cloth, especially if you have torn it. You may want to moisten it down and cover it so it doesn't flake or become airborne. Good luck getting rid of that stuff.

It will just get put in a plastic bag in the garbage when I do the tear out. I'll avoid stirring it up, but I'm not too concerned about this. It's not like I'm working in an asbestos factory day in and day out. I could have This Old House do it where they bring in the guys with hazmat suits and give you a bill for 10 grand.
    Regards, Barry

Barry, that's interesting. I've never seen it with what looks like shredded paper but I've seen it a few times where horse hair, or the equivalent, takes up the space where the paper is on yours. It usually comes up pretty easy but I don't know how wide the original product was. I've worked on a couple of houses where the stuff was in a kitchen and had been wet at some point. The product was like cement when we pulled it up.
    "My wife always wanted girls. Just not thousands and thousands of them......"