Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Diet & Weight Loss

It's not just consuming too many calories, but consuming the wrong kinds of calories. Don't skip meals.

Also..........avoid artificial sweeteners. I read that the body doesn't know the difference between real sugar/honey and artificial sweetner. Artifical sweeteners also cause insulin to be released and causes the body to store fat.

Right Countryboy, the honey provides the liver the fuel it needs to burn body fat during sleep. Go to bed hungry and your liver is not fueled and will only break down muscle and bone to provide food for the brain which gets fed 24/7.

I found this email that I had sent to my sister-in-law about the Hibernation Diet book.....
    --------------------

I ordered this book and got it yesterday. It's called the Hibernation Diet. It was $15 and is the approximate size of a Reader's Digest. They tell you how to eat to fuel your liver which feeds your brain so that your body uses up fat stores at night while you are sleeping. And, skipping breakfast or meals is bad, bad, bad. Keep the blood sugar level.

It says the body burns more fat while sleeping than during aerobic exercise! If the liver is empty of certain stores (glucose as glycogen), it must still feed the brain so it breaks down muscle and bone to do this instead and that is not good. It says also that prior to exercise to fuel your liver or your body will again turn to muscle tissue to feed the brain.

It is the liver's store of glucose as glycogen that keeps the brain supplied.

They say it is important to fuel the liver especially before bedtime because sleeptime is like fasting as there is no fuel intake during sleep and the liver must depend on stores to feed the brain. It says fueling the liver before bedtime helps sleep, recovery, fat burning, and tissue and bone rebuilding because an empty liver (which means empty of specific stores to feed the brain) can't do this when it is busy trying to feed the brain with muscle at night. Fueling up the liver before bed with a natural fructose-based snack optimizes fat burning potential. You'll have a stable blood glucose level overnight - important for all of us because peaks and valleys have debilitating side-effects even for non-diabetics-and you'll wake up slimmer, more energetic, and in a better state of repair. One of the things they have you do is about an hour before bedtime to have a tablespoon of honey (more if you are bigger). People can actually lose a lot of fat weight while sleeping by taking a tablespoonful (or two if larger) of honey an hour or so before bedtime. And, you wake up with more energy and rested. (In the book they stress the honey before bedtime as key.)

I just skipped around the book so far, so I don't know if there is anything specific for diabetics to do. The book stresses proper nutrition (avoiding simple carbs), and suggests, but not insists, on daily small amounts of resistance exercise that anyone can do.

It does mention proper nutrition during the day to keep the liver stores up. Again, to burn fat and not muscle tissue. This book is fascinating. Who doesn't want to get rid of excess stored body fat?

Quote Originally Posted by Countryboy View Post
    ... If I really like visitors, I'll turn the heat up and they can ...stay a while. Uninvited visitors don't stay long when they have to keep bundled up.
    Countryboy, when unwanted company comes knocking do what I do, answer the door dressed in a long, black, hooded, robe while you carry a two handed sickle and an hour glass then say, "John, I wasn't expecting you for another 30 years."
    Scrapfe---Never believe anything in politics until it has been officially denied.--Otto von Bismarck.

People with different blood types have different dietary needs. Once you understand what triggers weight gain and what to avoid can help a lot. www.dadamo.com
    There is absolutely no scientific evidence whatsoever that blood type has anything to do with diet. Those scam diets have been around since blood types were first discovered.

Quote Originally Posted by hemichuck View Post
    #2 If it aint green or leafy dont eat very much of it! You can eat all the green beans,cabbage,Kale,salad,brocolli and a bunch of other stuff that you want without gaining weight.The body can use this stuff to feel full without storing away a bunch of calories.
    That right there I think is the secret to weight loss. It is literally impossible to get fat eating fruits and vegetables, especially green leafy vegetables. They just have so few calories in them compared to their mass, your stomach can only hold so much food at a time.

A few years ago I was on a diet where I ate a pound of cooked and a pound of raw greens every day. The weight literally fell off my body and I never felt better.

Unfortunately, green leafy vegetables don't taste anywhere near as good as pizza...

You could always do the bachelor diet - eat as much of whatever you want, cooked this way:

When it's smoking, it's cooking.
    When it's black, it's done.
    Scrape down to the desired color.

Many people also report success by eating a diet of Biblical Old Testament clean foods. Even if you don't want to go to those extremes, just try removing pork from your diet.

... Many people... report success by eating a diet of Biblical Old Testament clean foods... [or]... just try removing pork from your diet.
    Oh no, I could never do that! I absolutely hate eating those kosher grasshoppers, sitting there on your plate and staring at you with their lifeless dolls' eyes. However, I not only enjoy eating pork but I also like rump roast, cheeseburgers, oysters, shrimp, catfish, horse, Blutwürste and the occasional spotted owl as well.
    Scrapfe---Never believe anything in politics until it has been officially denied.--Otto von Bismarck.

I absolutely hate eating those kosher grasshoppers, sitting there on your plate and staring at you with their lifeless dolls' eyes.

Then do like John the Baptist - cover them in honey.

Roast them lightly, then sun dry them. Remove the legs, wings, and head. When you remove the head, it removes the guts. Eat the remainder of the body.

but I also like rump roast, cheeseburgers, oysters, shrimp, catfish, horse, Blutwürste and the occasional spotted owl as well.

Rump roast and cheeseburgers are beef - and cows have a split hoof and chew their cud.

Do you eat to live, or do you live to eat?

There are many temptations in live that are enjoyable - that doesn't mean they are good for you to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrapfe View Post
    ... I absolutely hate... kosher grasshoppers, sitting there... with their lifeless dolls' eyes. However... I enjoy eating ... rump roast, cheeseburgers... and the occasional spotted owl as well...
    ... do like John the Baptist - cover them in honey... Rump roast and cheeseburgers are beef... and cows have a split hoof and chew their cud...
    Ah so Grasshopper, but neither rump roasts nor cheeseburgers are Kosher. Rump roast because you are eating to close to the sciatic nerve, and the poor humble cheeseburger because it mingles meat with milch (milk) without first waiting the required two (?) hours before indulging. Of course you cook a cheeseburger in only one cooking vessel or on one surface and when serving or eating a cheeseburger you use the same plate, resulting in a triple violation of the separation of meat and milch.

The honey slathered grasshoppers you mentioned sound better than the plain roasted ones Native Americans gathered by firing the Great Plains, followed up by women and children carrying baskets. Perhaps with a little Utah salt sprinkled on after the honey and North American grasshoppers would also be perfect. Post here and let us know how you like them, bon appetite.

C.B. remember, up until about 125 or so years ago there were locus swarms on the North American Plains that would make Moses hide his head in shame. The only two problems I have with emulating J. B. is that camels' hair makes me itch and I am bald.

PS: There are other reasons rump roast is verboten but I won't go into that here.

yes, you burn a higher percentage of fat sleeping than you do during exercise... but that's just a ratio. You burn so few calories when you're sleeping that it makes no difference what you're burning, it's not significant.

Everyone always wants to find a way to lose weight without doing the hard stuff, but it ain't gonna happen.

Smile Re: Diet & Weight Loss

Back to the subject.
    Monday morning January 10, 2011 I stepped onto the bathroom scale, naked, teeth brushed, showered and dried, even exhausted all the air from my lungs, the diet is working, I lost four pounds and am now down to 224 pounds of almost solid muscle
    How did the rest of you do, I am proud of my results.
    "Younz" have a great day, I will.

Get on the scale before the shower, you will weigh less!

Tom

Weighed in this morning, while I did manage to drop a few lbs, it hasn't been easy.

Male
    Height: 6' - 0"

Weight:

01/01/11 - 203 lbs
    01/15/11 - 198 lbs (-5 lbs) (-5 lbs)

Next weigh in 02/01/11

Well that's a pretty good start.

Its a long term project, because after all we didn't put on the extra weight in one day. One should set a reasonable goal and stick to it. After all, 12 months from now will get here soon enough. Might as well use that time to drop the extra weight.

After losing some friends around my age (57) to sudden heart attacks, I think I have more than enough incentive to stick to my diet. I really want to be around to watch my grandchildren grow up.
    Last edited by loggermike; 01-15-2011 at 11:04 AM. Reason: more info

Male
    Weight - Saturday 195-200, by friday, 184.

I have cut over 20 pounds in the past two weeks to get down to 184 for wrestling, and now I lost about an average of 10-15 pounds a week since I gain it all back after weighing in saturday morning. Tough cycle, would not do it if it wasn't paying for my college.

Tips - Eat SOMETHING at least every three hours to keep you an a anabolic state with a higher motabolism. Low calories, LOTS of WATER, not juice gatoraide etc. plain water. If you don't sweat you are not working out and you are not burning fat. High protein, workout, muscle burns calories faster at even at rest than fat.

Powernappers weigh in results
    Age-old enough to know better- 68
    Heigth -have shrunk some, now only six feet tall.
    Goal- to lose around twenty pounds.

New Years Eve 228
    January 11, 2011 224
    January 17, 2011 223

You Guys have inspired me: I want to join in.

31 years old
    6 ft
    287lb

goal 235 lb = 12% body fat

Time Frame: 1 Year. 6 months to loose and 6 months to maintain.

Plan.
    2 modest but normal meals/day, 2 small snacks (one of: fruit/veg/nuts), and 1 meal of all the fruits and veggies i want(at night).

Lots of Water, Coffee, and Green Tea

Good exercise and sleep (One of the most neglected aspects of health IMO)

One free meal/week.

I have been fat most of my life, to some degree or another, this is the furthest the pendulum has swung. The combination of a stressful job that is mostly sedentary, and having little kids at home that keep me out of the woods and rivers has pushed me far out of my comfort zone as far as weight.

Dan
    Dan Hayden 4 Years. 9 hives. Tx Free. USDA Zone 5b.

You all might want to hear from one of the ladies here.

I'm 55 and have lost 66lbs over the last year.
    I did it by eating low fat, counting my calories and keeping a food diary, and adding in exercise. As I lost, I ate less and exercised more.

Way to go Brenda!

You need to eat more, like stated 3 hour durations will work best. Another good key is to no eat anything 3 hours before bed.
    Stick with basic foods found on the out aisle in a supermarket. All of the crap food is in the aisles. Good luck!
    Remember, it takes on average 21 days to make a habit.
    Quote Originally Posted by RiodeLobo View Post
    You Guys have inspired me: I want to join in.

31 years old
    6 ft
    287lb

goal 235 lb = 12% body fat

Time Frame: 1 Year. 6 months to loose and 6 months to maintain.

Plan.
    2 modest but normal meals/day, 2 small snacks (one of: fruit/veg/nuts), and 1 meal of all the fruits and veggies i want(at night).

Lots of Water, Coffee, and Green Tea

Good exercise and sleep (One of the most neglected aspects of health IMO)

One free meal/week.

I have been fat most of my life, to some degree or another, this is the furthest the pendulum has swung. The combination of a stressful job that is mostly sedentary, and having little kids at home that keep me out of the woods and rivers has pushed me far out of my comfort zone as far as weight.

Dan
    www.maxantindustries.com
    American made Honey Processing Equipment "Built to last a lifetime"

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast