Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Diet & Weight Loss

New Years Resolution: Drop a few lbs.

I weighed myself on new years day to find that I now weigh more than ever. Should be interesting to see if I can resist the temptation and stick to a moderation in diet. I thought that posting it here might give me some incentive. I'm planning to post updates twice a month through labor day.

Male
    Height: 6' - 0"

Weight:

01/01/11 - 203 lbs

Default Re: Diet & Weight Loss

For those serious about dropping the blubber , FITDAY is a really helpful daily log and its free.

Sungold

Geez, that doesn't sound so bad (I hope)

Male
    Age 52
    Height 5' 10"
    Weight 195 lbs.

Thought I was OK, maybe I should ask my wife..........Ah, forget it.

Perry

People with different blood types have different dietary needs. Once you understand what triggers weight gain and what to avoid can help a lot. www.dadamo.com

Male,
    6' - 3"
    238lbs

Body fat 15%

Steve McNair, Titans football player would be considers obese by the BMI chart.

Bryn

Smile Re: Diet & Weight Loss

Good idea Sungold. Are you putting up a chart of something to record the pending loss or just entering the scale weight. It would be nice to see your chart in front of your eyes as you lose poundage.
    Like you I stepped on the scale on New Year eve, just to see how bad it is, it is bad, I need to shed around twenty pounds, now weigh in at 228 but tell everyone is it solid muscle.
    I entered my scale weight on the calender, am planning on weighing myself every Monday morning and entering the weight, there is still a lot of fudge and Christmas cookies in the freezer to weigh me down but perseverence will prevail.
    "Younz" have a great day, I will.

Carbs are the killer for me. If I stay under 40 grams a day I lose weight. More than 50, I gain. Pretty simple for me.

Losing the weight was my 2010 resolution too. Lasted about a week

But around August I was dying from the heat so got serious about it.Down 40 and still more to go (w'ont say how much)
    Good luck to all!

Wow,you guys have finally tripped across a subject that I know something about.Since I have always been a large fellow I have had the need at several points in my lifetime to lose large amounts of weight.As a freshman in high school I was 6'2" and weighed 265.When I was 18 I lost about 70 lbs(from 290to 220)Over the next 10 years I got up to 305 and on my 29th birthday I decided to lose some weight so I went to weight watchers for motivation and in the next 8 months I lost 105 lbs.I got down to 192 and stayed there for 6 weeks(to get my lifetime membership)then I gained back up to 210 which is my comfortable weight.Long story short,I got married,had kids,had my house burnt down,worked like a dog,and gained a bunch of weight(up to 340) and lost some(down to 270)and gained some(up to 370) and that brings me up to new years week in 2009.I'm 50 years old,my ankles and knees are killing me,my blood pressure is high,and I feel like crap all the time.I decide to go back to weight watchers(for motivation) and I end up losing 80 lbs by June 2010.So at 290 I'm feeling pretty cocky and I'm real busy with bees and over the next few months the weight creeps back up to 305.So its close to Christmas and I decide its time to get re-motivated so I'm back at weight watchers and I bought a Kinect for my kids Xbox 360 and got the Biggest Loser game.I want to get down to 225 and I'm going to do it.
    I'm going to give you guys the benefits of my vast knowledge of weight loss in a nutshell.
    #1 get a pencil and paper and write down everything that goes in your mouth every-day.I can tell you now that you consume much more than you think or are willing to admit.Review your list weekly or better yet give it to someone else to review so you can make adjustments on the intake side.
    #2 If it aint green or leafy dont eat very much of it! You can eat all the green beans,cabbage,Kale,salad,brocolli and a bunch of other stuff that you want without gaining weight.The body can use this stuff to feel full without storing away a bunch of calories.
    #3 Eat some good lean protien with your meals.It can be beef,chicken,pork,deer,rabbit or whatever but the body needs protien to fuel weight loss. Dont over-eat on the protien.
    #4 get off the couch and go somewhere where you can move your body.Go walking,dancing,jogging,or go to the gym and work out.This needs to be in addition to the normal work load that you have in your day.Your body is used to your normal load and will find ways to store fat in excess of what you will burn.Throw the old body a curve and increase your activity level.A good Xbox with kinect system or a nintindo wi will get you up and make you sweat right in the comfort of your own home.
    #5 Get somebody else to weigh you in once a week.We have a way of being able to trick ourselves into making excuses for weight loss or gain and sometimes its goods to just have somebody else to be accountable to.Thats why I go to weight watchers,I have to get on that scale and weigh in every week and I have to look that counseler in the eye and accept whatever that scale tells me.No excuses,no blame,just suck it up and face the facts.We cant do that if we weigh ourselves in because its too easy to justify that gain to ourselves.If we were honest with ourselves we wouldnt have weight issues to begin with.
    So take this advice for what its worth and I will check this thread out and post my weight every week to try and help motivate myself and maybe you guys too.
    Good Luck

Quote Originally Posted by power napper View Post
    Good idea Sungold. Are you putting up a chart of something to record the pending loss or just entering the scale weight. It would be nice to see your chart in front of your eyes as you lose poundage.
    Like you I stepped on the scale on New Year eve, just to see how bad it is, it is bad, I need to shed around twenty pounds, now weigh in at 228 but tell everyone is it solid muscle.
    I entered my scale weight on the calender, am planning on weighing myself every Monday morning and entering the weight, there is still a lot of fudge and Christmas cookies in the freezer to weigh me down but perseverence will prevail.

Power napper,

I'm just planning to weigh myself at the beginning and mid point of each month and then post the results in a continuing column under my first post. I figured that I would just copy my first post and add the Jan. mid-month resluts. Then at the begining of Feb. I'll copy the Jan .mid-month and add to it. Nothing too elaborate. Right now I'm just approaching this in a rather simple manner, I'm just focused on cutting the volume of input.

Ok, I'm in!

I should forget the pencil and just tape my mouth shut! LOL I keep losing and gaining the same 20 pounds.

Seriously, a few years ago when we had the dog in to the vet, he said "She's 5 pounds overweight, if she loses that she'll have lots more energy!". And the light bulb went on and I thought, hmmm, I need to lose more than that and just think of the energy I will have at my ideal weight! Still trying to make that happen.

Years ago, I set a goal of exercising for 30 minutes EVERY day. I kept to it pretty good knowing I had to do it every day. I know if I had told myself that I would exercise 5 days a week that too many times I would have settled for 4x being good enough. This way I usually did 7 or 6x a week. I'm going to try that again. Also, I can lift 5 pound dumbells while reading internet! Oh, look there they are on the floor next to me! LOL

Diet tidbits:

Starvation-like dieting does not work. Body metabolism gets out of wack, lose muscle, lose energy, tend to binge. etc. Also, need to eat properly to fuel burning the fat off the bod.

Reading a new book..... The Hibernation Diet (it works while you sleep). It states to keep your liver fueled properly so your body does not break down muscle and bone to make up fuel for the brain which needs food 24/7. The liver feeds the brain 24/7 and it will take what it needs from muscle and bone to make up for it if you don't keep it fueled so it can feed the brain. Makes sense. Says the body can burn more fat while sleeping than during aerobic exercise! You should never exercise on an empty (depleted fuel wise) stomach or your liver goes to muscle and bone to feed the brain since it can't access the fat stores. The brain will be fed to the detriment of the rest of the body (again at the expense of muscle and bone). A properly fueled liver will take from fat to feed the body. Honey helps achieve this!!! Yea!

I did weight watchers online two years ago and lost 100 pounds. It is a great tool and really helps you keep track of what you are eating.

Excercise is great but it is a lot easier to eat more than you can work out. Cut the fat and increase fiber will help a lot.

Tom

Smile Re: Diet & Weight Loss

Carbohydrates and proteins. Everytime a carb is consumed there should be a protein to neutralize.

Ok- I am not a health nut or nothing like that, but do like to eat healthy, I just eat too much of the healthy stuff with some not so healthy thrown in for pleasure.

My wife made me up a diet several years ago and I shed a lot of weight using it, losing is one thing but keeping it off is another issue. It takes a commitment to a life change of eating habits to keep it off.

Exercise is not my answer, I do try to keep moving as much as possible and when weather permits enjoy walking outside, gardening and mowing grass while sitting on my butt is my exercise regimin. Bee keeping helps immensely, even the daily walks through the beeyard.

Drink lots of water, and like already suggested hit the vegitables hard.

OKay-I'm in.

Lets do it!
    "Younz" have a great day, I will.

Beekeeping helped me keep moving a lot this year.I increased from 3 hives to around 40 and they got a little bit ahead of me so I did a lot of running just trying to keep up with the things I needed to do.My weight stayed off till it got cold(I hate the cold)and my outdoor activities tapered off considerably.I still feed my outdoor wood furnace a couple of times a day but thats about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Sungold View Post
    New Years Resolution: Drop a few lbs...
    Best way to drop a few pounds is to drop your fork. Yea I know it is diffucult.

Or you could loose weight on the 12,000-calorie diet.

Eat like this
    http://static.guim.co.uk/Guardian/sp...pts-t-3871.jpg

And look like this
    http://pribek.net/wp-content/uploads...el_phelps6.jpg

It can be done; it just takes commitment and a whole lot of sweat.

Don't you just hate him? Naw.
    Scrapfe---Never believe anything in politics until it has been officially denied.--Otto von Bismarck.

Or you could loose weight on the 12,000-calorie diet.

IIRC, the Lewis and Clark expedition had food rations of about 12,000 calories a day per person. (Or was it 14K?)

My brother was in the first Gulf War. He told me that MRE's are 5,000 calories. They are designed so that you can survive on 1 MRE a day. Soldiers were eating 3 or 4 MRE's a day and staying skin and bones. High physical activity and high stress levels of battle situations require enormous caloric intake.

I'm sure you can find ways of getting your wife to increase your stress level, right? There's your new weight loss program.

Quote Originally Posted by Countryboy View Post
    High physical activity and high stress levels of battle situations require enormous caloric intake.

I'm sure you can find ways of getting your wife to increase your stress level, right? There's your new weight loss program.
    High stress levels can trigger weight gain...

Sorry, but I do not believe that you can burn more fat sleeping than in aerobic exercise, as was mentioned in an earlier post.

In the end, it's not rocket science. Burn more calories than you take in. Get your heart rate up, keep it up, sweat a lot, don't eat dessert, etc. Do that every day.

One idea that works for some: Allow yourself one "cheat meal" a week. That way you don't feel like you're punishing yourself, it gives you something to look forward to. Doesn't work for everyone, but I've seen it work for friends.

I recall hearing that if you eat two spoonfulls of honey right before bed, it boosts your metabolism while you sleep and can help you burn extra calories while sleeping.

Quote Originally Posted by Countryboy View Post
    ... the Lewis and Clark expedition had food rations of about 12,000 calories a day per person...
    I’ve been told that camping in extreme winter conditions burns 6,000 calories just keeping your body alive. I also know that drinking Bocu ice water will speed weight loss because you must burn calories to raise the temp of the cold water to yea old 98.6°

I don’t doubt your brother’s statement. Army Rangers tell me the hardest thing about Ranger AIT is the deliberate lack of food coupled with a cold and wet environment.

Napoleon, I think it was said, “An army maches on its stomach.”
    Scrapfe---Never believe anything in politics until it has been officially denied.--Otto von Bismarck.

I also know that drinking Bocu ice water will speed weight loss because you must burn calories to raise the temp of the cold water to yea old 98.6°

Which reminds me of another weight loss technique...turn the thermostat down in the house. It doesn't need to be 68 or 72. Heat your house enough to prevent the pipes from freezing - you'll burn calories keeping warm, and save tons of money on the heat bill.

A while back my brother was showing off his new wood stove to me, and he made a comment in from of his wife about me liking it there because his house was warmer than mine. She naively asked how cold I keep my house in the winter, and I told her that it's above freezing. Priceless look on her face. (My brother did admit than when he was a bachelor with the propane furnace, he would turn it up to 64 if he had company visit.)

There is a reason I am wearing a quilted flannel shirt right now. If I really like visitors, I'll turn the heat up and they can take off their coats and stay a while. Uninvited visitors don't stay long when they have to keep bundled up.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast