Question First bar spacing

With end entrances is there common distance from the end board for the first top bar, or will the first bar be sufficient.

Default Re: First bar spacing

Half of a beespace is built into every bar, and half of a bee space is 3/16". If you make it 1/4" or 3/8" you won't have to drill any holes as that will be your entrance...
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

Are you saying leave a 1/4 to 1/2 space in front of first bar, and with the led on how would the access that space. If you prop up lid won't that make it difficult to control temp. Very much a newbie, just asking.

mackelby,
    One thing you may want to consider is to build your TBH so that you have access to the combs from the entrance end (Brood end) for quick inspections. If you don't you will find after the bees have built combs out twenty or more bars it will be a big job going through each comb to get up and into the brood nest if it is needed. MB's entrance that he describes has access already incorporated. You can also use a two follower board system with entrance near the end of one long side.
    You will see once the bees are built up and into the nectar flow they will be heavily festooning and building comb as fast as they can to store the nectar. It is best to let them have at it at this time, with little disturbance other than to quickly check progress and to add new empty bars if you are using a follower at the honey end.

Just food for thought!
    Last edited by Delta Bay; 01-02-2011 at 11:00 AM.

I push all mine to the back and the gap left at the front is the entrance. If there wasn't a gap I'd pull out the first bar... because that is my entrance. A top entrance has many advantages, among them keeping out the mice, the skunks, letting moisture out in winter, and not getting clogged with dead bees or blocked by tall grass.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

You could just make a 1/4" spacer to use in front of the first bar.