Default Request for all other Southerners

Just having finished supper of a fine bowl of blackeye peas and ham hocks, and cornbread, I was wondering about seasoning. Mine is fantastic, but I always like to compare notes.
    What seasoning do ya'll use for a pot of blackeyes?
    His Hive Honey Farm - Do all for His glory!

Default Re: Request for all other Southerners

Just salt and fresh ground pepper. Jar of hot peppers on the table for those who like them. Ever try jalapeno (Tex-Mex) cornbread? Goes great with the BEP's. Recipe is on the back of a bag of Martha White Cornmeal Mix.

Quote Originally Posted by Laurence Hope View Post
    ...finished ...a fine bowl of blackeye peas and ham hocks, and cornbread, I was wondering about seasoning...
    Next year try this New Years Day Hopping John Jambalaya recipe:
    2 pounds smoked sausage (sliced, or diced and lightly sautéed).
    2 cups brown rice (1 pound)
    2 cups (1 pound) dried but reconstituted blackeyed peas.
    1-pound hog jowl (diced)
    4 cups or a smidgen more chicken broth
    1 large green bell pepper (finely chopped and sautéed)
    2 large yellow onions (finely chopped and sautéed)
    3 cloves garlic (finely chopped and sautéed)
    1 bunch curly leaf parsley (chopped and sautéed)
    2-3 tablespoons cooking oil.
    Up to a teaspoon salt (or to taste) Remember the jowl or sausage may already be salted.
    1 teaspoon ground cyanine pepper or to taste.
    ½ teaspoon black pepper or to taste.
    Tabasco or other hot sauce for a finish or garnish.
    Large bunch raw green onions (chopped and crisped in ice water) for a garnish.

To reconstitute dried black-eyed peas boil in water 10 to 15 minutes with the diced hog jowl or until the peas are about the same consistency as fresh or raw peas, reserve the water.

Sautee all the chopped vegetables in oil, except the green onions.

In a heavy pot with a tight fitting lid, bring the chicken broth to a boil add the rice and cook covered for 5 minutes.

Add the rest of the ingredients except for the last 2.

Return the pot to a boil for 5 minutes, cover tightly, reduce heat to medium low, simmer for 45 minutes. DO not raise the lid! Opening the pot early may result in undercooked rice.

Add some of the reserved pea juice if you like it a little more moist or if the rice needs to cook longer.

Garnish with the chilled green onions and add hot sauce to taste.

Enjoy having money in your pocket for the rest of the new year.

I like white cornbread made with butter milk, baking soda, and with some cracklings buzzed up in a food processor added.

I only like ham hocks in pinto beans and turnip greens, y'all.
    Scrapfe---Never believe anything in politics until it has been officially denied.--Otto von Bismarck.

I saved that one Scrapfe- it sounds great!
    So many weeds.......so little time.

I tend to use what is handy... but what I like to have handy is:

Some bacon. A lot is nice. A little helps. Add at the last minute to keep its crispy texture, but it's ok even cooked in.

Some diced onion. Again, amounts are adjusted to what is available, but it's hard to get too much and even a little wakes it up.

Diced Celery. I love celery.

A dash of catsup is nice, but you don't want a lot or it will taste like catsup.

A spoonful of Picante sauce. You don't want so much that it tastes like Mexican food, just enough to wake it up with some pepper, tomato, onion etc.

If you have it available, you can cut up some sweet peppers, green chiles and onion and carmelize the onions (and slightly brown the peppers) and use this instead of the picante and oinions above.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

Scrapfe, I'm not waiting till next New Years day. Next week will even be hard. And I love cracklins in the cornbread, but I've never found any out here. Maybe I better get my daughter in Florida to send some. I had forgotten about adding them. Thanks for the reminder.

Michael, great ideas. I too, love celery, but have never tried it in my blackeyes. Next time
    I will. The more different recipes or additives I have, the more blackeyes I can eat throughout the year.

Fish stix - I have made cornbread with jalapenos. I like it. Out here we seem to eat everything with jalapenos. I particularly like a grilled stuffed jalapeno recipe from Bobby Flay.
    If anyone wants it, I'll be happy to share.
    His Hive Honey Farm - Do all for His glory!

Quote Originally Posted by Laurence Hope View Post
    If anyone wants it, I'll be happy to share.
    Share please:-))
    ==Northumberland County Beekeeper, Trent Hills, Ontario==

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Bush View Post
    I tend to use what is handy... but ...I like ... bacon. A lot is nice ...
    I use a lot of bacon from Canada, that is not to say I eat Canadian bacon, but rather I eat USA bacon that is produced in Canada.

There is nothing wrong with diced and sautéed celery in hopping john or gumbo. You got me to thinking about celery in my corn bread now. What do you say Michael, maybe cut back on the buttermilk, add a little celery, a can of cream of celery soup, and an onion?

Yea, and celery in hush puppies too. I like those HD little old lady school teacher cookie shooter or icying decorator guns, I use one to shoot hush-puppies into hot oil.
    Scrapfe---Never believe anything in politics until it has been officially denied.--Otto von Bismarck.

I tend to keep my basic black eyed peas dish simple.
    Soak the peas (1lb) in the crock pot and when ready I add two medium to large coarse diced onions and a quarter pound of chunked bacon (I prefer jowl bacon for this) though I sometimes use a leftover hambone or smoked ham hock. Turn the heat up on the crock pot and let go all day. As they get ready I season with salt to taste and a fair bit of coarse ground black pepper and just barely enough cayenne pepper to know it's there. Serve over rice or crumbled cornbread.

I have and sometimes will play with the above adding things like garlic, cilantro, sausage, bell or jalepeno peppers. Sometimes I add rice and cook them together. I also like cracklin cornbread with this and will sometimes add onions to the cornbread as well.
    Georgia Wildlife Services, Inc
    www.atlantawildliferemoval.net

I use salt and pepper, 1 bay leaf per pot, or 2 if it's a big pot with lots of beans or peas. I also use about 1/2 teaspoon of celery seed. Straight up. DH will add a dried chile Tepin in his bowl. Sometimes called "bird chiles". They are small red chiles about the size of a BB, and rate about 100,000 Scoville units per. I don't care for them, myself.

summer

Quote Originally Posted by summer1052 View Post
    Sometimes called "bird chiles". They are small red chiles about the size of a BB, and rate about 100,000 Scoville units per.
    The other day my friend convinced me that they were small tomatoes and I ate one, got close to crying. They have a farm in Hamilton where they have some of those plants.
    Please check out the new kingfisherapiaries.com!
    Like us on Facebook