Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Wild bee hive in tree now in my lawn

So the story goes I cut down this big hemlock 36in on the butt. Tree hits the ground I hit the road bees everyware. I come back to get the sawafter 5 or so minutes after watching them. Tree is hollow 24+inches of hive what I thought was one entry hole about 10ft up but later find out it has 2 entry holes 1 at 3ft and one at 10 ft. I talk to a couple guys that do bees they are all excited to get a free hive we talk how to get it out I even offer deliver of the tree yet no one shows so I now have a 24 foot tall tree somewhat vertical leaning on a Y of a maple in my hedgrow. I capped the top and the bottom hoping to keep the bees in there till spring so I can learn how to do something with them so now I am asking for advice. I guess I'll just let you guys take it from here but I am now planning on doing honeybees as I cut down a tree or 2 each year with bees in it, AND now I have a hive that is as near as I can figuire about 14ft tall. I got a good pound of honey out of the combs that fell out when I stood it up. Now the wife is even interested so now the adventure begins OHHHHH the things I get my self into

Thanks and any help would be appriciated
    Charlie

Default Re: Wild bee hive in tree now in my lawn

Well you are just over 3 hours from me. If you did this recently I'd strongly encourage you to close it up asap. Make sure that the bees have a ventilation hole (exit hole) near the top and near the bottom and wait until spring. If you haven't done any research on beekeeping I'd take the next few months to do as much as you can. There's several web sited including this one that would be a great help. One that I'd recomment is http://www.bees-on-the-net.com They have a 1 week course that you can sign up for free. Assuming that the bees have been there at least most of the summer then they're probably going to be fine for the winter. Maby we could work something out for me to come help you with it. Also I'd encourage you to go to youtube and check out the beekeeping videos on there. There's one I remember where a guy took a tree as you have, and screwed a piece of plywood to the top and put a super on top of that. 10' seems a bit high for that, but something on those lines may work.

Easy enough for an experienced person to get these bees into a man made hive, but to someone with no experience it's likely near impossible.

I'd strongly recommend trying to find a beekeeper who will help.

But failing this, purchase an empty beehive with several boxes. Come spring, open up the tree to expose the bees nest. There will likely be some of combs of honey, they can be removed for your own consumption, and save some incase the bees will need feeding.
    There will be other combs with bee larvae in the cells. Put these into the bottom box of your hive. Then put another box on top, with frames in it & comb foundation. Try to get as many of the bees into the hive as possible.
    Hopefully, the bees will start after a few weeks to work on the frames of foundation in the top box of your hive. As this happens, remove the mess of combs from the bottom box, that came from the tree. Add more boxes of frames as required.

That's the basic plan. But it will definately go better if you have some experienced help.
    44 years, been commercial, outfits up to 4000 hives, now 120 hives and 200 nucs as a hobby, selling bees. T (mostly).

Looks like I'm about two hours south of you. Let me know if you need any help or guidance.

[QUOTE

Not sure how long they have been there but guessing a long time it is huge. I have been doing alot of research just trying to figuire out the best approach My first thought are to split the hive into several in the spring like I said it looks to be atleast 12-14ft of hive the whole tree buzzs real load. no clue how many bees are in there but I want to be perpare or as with me most of the time ahead of my self I do not normally go into something half way But I want to do it right.
    Last edited by honeyman46408; 05-09-2011 at 02:43 AM.

You guys are fast I am looking for guidance and maybe some assistance in transfering them in the spring I am amazed at this hive and do not want to hurt them if I can help it.

A few will tell you to trap them out. That will work over time.
    Since the tree is down, when you get ready, buy a veil and smoker, smoke the tree and area, with veil on, cut the tree in half lengthwise, lift the top half off, cut the combs loose, put the brood combs in your waiting hive.
    You can use wire, string, or rubber bands to secure the comb to the frames, you will probably want to use plastic gloves (nitrile are best) cutting comb is messy and a few ladies may not appreciate their new accomodations.
    Take the honeycomb in the kitchen after you brush the bees off with a new clean paint brush (or bee brush) Smash the comb up (potato masher works great) and let the honey drip through a strainer, or cut it into sections and eat as is.
    Wait a week or two to check inside your new hive. If there is still brood, your queen is fine. If there is no brood and no peanut shaped cells, queen cells, get a new queen. If you do not like their attitude or you think they could be healthier, requeening will fix both problems.
    I have videos moving a hive from a bird house to a hive at http://www.americasbeekeeper.com/USFBG_Videos.htm
    It is not much different from a tree.
    americasbeekeeper.com
    beekeeper@americasbeekeeper.com

I would be very greatful for your help, I will send you a PM if I can figuire out how
    Thanks,
    Charlie

Quote Originally Posted by Yuleluder View Post
    Looks like I'm about two hours south of you. Let me know if you need any help or guidance.

Quote Originally Posted by jcbrotz View Post
    ... I cut down this big hemlock... Tree hits the ground... bees everyware... I capped the top and the bottom... I'll... let you guys take it from here
    Back when the first hive inspection laws came into being Old Timers sometimes drummed their bees out of bee gums and hollow logs and into them thair modern new fangled Lang hives. I think an Old Timer named Walter T. Kelley wrote about how to accomplish this musical feat of making bees march to a different drummer in his classic book Keeping Bees and Selling Honey. How about it Clarksville? You folks up there got a copy of this book?
    Scrapfe---Never believe anything in politics until it has been officially denied.--Otto von Bismarck.

Amazon has some of the books it seems. . . This is the site if it works. . .

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listi...condition=used

I have done a lot of cutouts from trees. Some I cut down for customers to get the bees out and some from customers or tree trimming companies that run into bee hives in trees they need to cutdown.

I had one call this past spring from the city dump site for only trees/shrubs/etc. Someone had cut down a tree and dropped it off at the site. They needed me to cutout the bees so that they could mulch the tree. Job took 2 days because I started late and it was really hot out there on the cement. Forgot my suit and veil the second day and completed the job w/o them. That including me actually cutting the sections of the logs containing the bees with my chainsaw.

While it is somewhat hard if you haven't done it, you can do it. Just google on YouTube for bee removals from trees, etc. You will have all you need to know to do the job. But before you get that knowledge I suggest that you really read up on beekeeping and join a local bee association. I have a huge amount of info I can email you if you PM me with your email address.

Just food for thought. It is possible to have 2 or more hives in the same tree. I had a cutout in 2009 that ended up being 2 different colonies in the same tree.
    De Colores,
    Ken

[Just food for thought. It is possible to have 2 or more hives in the same tree. I had a cutout in 2009 that ended up being 2 different colonies in the same tree.[/QUOTE]

I was wondering if I could have more than I hive. I won't know for sure till spring. PM incoming for info, I stumbled onto this sight looking for info and after reading here for awhile I decided to post and see what the responces would be. So far great info I'm doing the youtube thing now and have a book or 3 on order not sure if there is a local bee orginization but I will find out. Thanks for the help so far I'm just trying to perpare myself for what I am about to undertake and see where it take me. Should be fun.

I will see if I can get some pics today and post up I would like to get the tree a little more vertical but its alot closer than it was I will also take a few measurements and get some actuall dimensions. But this thing is BIG I guess I never do anything the easy way always, head first with me.

Hey jcbrots,
    Check out the youtube vids from outofabluesky

He's got all sets of info I've learned a lot watching them.

It would be great to see before during and after removal pics !!!!

Good Luck,

Rob

\
    Last edited by honeyman46408; 05-09-2011 at 02:45 AM.

I recommend you quickly find a beekeeper who can come and help get them into a hive today if it hasn't turned too cold. A cold front is moving your way today. Try to wire as much of the honey in comb and pollen into the frames as possible. Save any extra to feed to them when you get them hived.

When the tree fell you could have killed the queen with the honey and comb breaking. If you can't get them out and hived today, you will have to keep your fingers crossed for another mild day. Hive them and put them in in an outbuilding or shelter with the entrance pointed out for them to fly to provide protection until spring buildup.

If you get them in a hive with no queen, get on the phone and get a carniolan or new world carniolan mated queen shipped to you from a warm climate and follow the instructions to get her in the hive. They won't survive without a queen.

I hope you save them before the cold returns with a vengance!

Here are some pics of how the tree and the bees stand right now. If there are 2 hives then the bottom one is a little upset with me right now. They did not like to have their pictures taken.

OK how does one post pics?

http://img214.imageshack.us/content_.../900/bees1.jpg
    http://img638.imageshack.us/i/bees7.jpg/
    http://img406.imageshack.us/i/bees3.jpg/
    http://img840.imageshack.us/i/bees4.jpg/
    http://img829.imageshack.us/i/bees6.jpg/
    Last edited by jcbrotz; 01-02-2011 at 12:37 PM. Reason: adding pics well maybe?

Create a free account on Photobucket. Upload the pics there. Then copy the links back down to your new reply thread.
    De Colores,
    Ken

Might have got pics to work me thinks so anyway. The bees were on the bottom yesterday covering the combs you see in the pics.

I'm hoping they will be OK till spring from what I've seen and read thats my best bet to try and get them to make me some honey and to keep the little stingers alive.

http://img695.imageshack.us/gal.php?g=bees1c.jpg

Bee probably will be good for the winter. Just screw down some plywood on the top of the tree if it is open. Same for the bottom. The entrances should be enough ventilation.
    De Colores,
    Ken

Just keep them dry and you can remove them in the spring.

The top is capped well also a good 3-5 ft of solid tree about the top hive or top of the hive. I sealed the botom pretty good with tin but will be putting on another layer tomorrow on the one corner I did not get it 100% and the bees we a little unhappy with the tapping of the hammer some were buzzing me pretty good. I have both the hive entrances on the lower side of the tree so water souldn't be an issue getting in. I'm crossing my fingers that all will be well.

Thanks for the help guys! I do plan on trying to upright it a little more but I need help can't be in 2 piece of equiptment at once and the little wifey is nervous the kids may come over to help so waiting on the father in-law later in the week.