Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Default Re: Bees favorite plant

My bees like my princess tree and my Chinese tallow
    Potato Guns shouldn't be illegal in Texas!

My girls really seem to like the flowers from my chives.

This is what I got from american medows.

Good Morning,

Thank you for contacting American Meadows. I would be more than happy to assist you!

We do have a Honey Bee Wildflower Seed Mix, that would work perfect for what you're looking for! I will display the link below for you to reference. That's why we've created this special mixture you can plant to be part of the solution. It's packed with honey bee friendly long-blooming flowers and super-colorful quick-bloom flowers to make the bees work a little easier, and to reduce stress on our already-stressed hives. I hope this helps. Please let me know if there is anything else I may assist you with!

http://www.americanmeadows.com/honey..._store=default Honey Bee Wildflower Seed Mix

When we can be of further assistance, please don't hesitate to write back or call us at 1-877-309-7333. We can be reached 9 a.m. to 7 p.m. Monday-Friday and 9-5 on Saturdays. Thank you for choosing American Meadows.

Best Regards,

Ashley

I'm planting lavender from seed and growing rosemary from cuttings and giving them out to all my neighbors

Quote Originally Posted by KevinR View Post
    How many lbs per acre? Anyone that has planted borage, can it be broadcast?
    I broadcast buckwheat and borage is suppose to be planted at the same one inch depth.
    Trick is to keep the surface moist until it sprouts (5-10 days) at least and keep the wild turkeys out of it if
    you have them . I've broadcast about 7 lbs of buckwheat over a 60'x60' area this spring because the dang turkeys found it
    are woofing the stuff down before it has a chance to sprout.
    I did plant some borage also but because of the cost i put it down to the recommended 1" depth.

Mine go crazy over Mountain Mint (Pycnanthemum muticum). It's been a mid-late summer favorite. It's a native and hard to find in nurseries so I snatch up all I can find, whenever I can find it. I plant specimens in custers to encourage foraging since that's what the honeybees prefer. I used to spread out my specimens but no more. We have a lot of nectar sources in the yard and I only see our bees consistently working the Mountain Mint, Anise Hysop, and Dutch Clover. They'll "tinker" with our rosemary, blackberries, pink milkweed and lavendar. They ignore my Russian Sage, coneflowers, and other butterfly/ bumblebee plants. I bought 4 Korean Evodia and 2 Chaste trees for the future. I've heard great things about those.

Ours love clover, which I have throughout the garden area & in my lawn (on purpose). Have to mow the lawn in sections in the evening after the bees go to bed, but it is worth it. Planted some borage in a meadow area close to the house as I heard that bees love it - will see how it goes. They also love the lupins, which we have established in a meadow area.

Has anyone tried Cornus sericea (red osier dogwood) or Japanese Dwarf Maple? I'm just looking for a small tree or shrub that I'd be able to move around in the future when I do get my own place.

The poached egg plant is an annual, but Bees Just LOVE it, I know, funny name

Good luck,
    From Jajo

So several years ago now my wonderful GF bought me a beginner hive set up, but we are in a very residential area, our lot is less than a quarter acre, we have kids and many days we can have ten or so neighborhood kids in our yard so we decided not to get the bees and put the supplies away. A year or two went by, and one fall I decided to plant broccoli rabe for spring harvest. I spread the seeds out all through my garden in the beginning of September and we had some nice weather through October that year, and The rabe came up very thick everywhere. I was surprised to see that even though it died back somewhat it still stayed green all winter through below zero temps. In the spring we had some unseasonable warm weather in March and that rabe took off and my whole garden was yellow with it's flowers, I couldn't believe how many honey bees thousands upon thousand in this dense patch, There was such a buzzing as soon as I stepped out my door. I don't know if they were there for just the pollen or for the pollen and nectar but man they were loving it.
    So I said if I have hundreds of thousands of bees in my garden now, I might as well have a hive, so I talked to all my neighbors and had my first hive last year. I tried planting the rabe again last fall but I was a bit late and the cold weather came to quick so it never got going. I will try again this year, but for people in colder climates this might be a good thing to try to give your bees early pollen, The rabe def flowers for weeks on end and it come up very early.

Has anybody mentioned or had experience with sainfoin? While I don't have any personal experience yet, it seems that most sources report sainfoin to be one of the best honey bee plants there is.

It's reported that sainfoin blossoms produce "copious amounts of nectar" (Pellett, F. C.: American Honey Plants) and blooms from May to July (Ogle, D: Plants for pollinators in the Intermountain West). Pollen is also produced in abundance, while honey made from sainfoin is of the "finest quality" (Dubbs, A.L.: American Bee Journal). It's also been reported that sainfoin attracts 10 times more honey bees than white clover (Rosov, 1952; McGregor, 1976; Kells, 2001).

I'm about to plant 23 acres of the stuff and start a bee farm next year, so I hope the reports are true!

Quote Originally Posted by stevedc View Post
    thanks dave, i have a good patch in my backyard and the bees are on them a lot. i built a swarm box and placed it in their flight path w/wax striped top bars and a little lemongrass oil. i'm hopeful. i also placed a jar of sugar water on top.
    Did you have any luck collecting a swarm ?

Changing my vote from Borage to Niger. I had both blooming in side by side plots this summer and my bees were working Niger much more. I mowed it after the seeds had matured and it sprouted and bloomed again in September.

I convinced my sister to keep a hive in her backyard, and the bees are covering ivy blossoms now. We had to look it up, because when it flowers, the shape of the leaves change, and it only happens when it is climbing something else. Horribly invasive, but at least a silver lining. Anyone know if the honey from ivy is any good?

Is there a quality rating for different flower’s nectar?
    If they like it does it mean it has a better nutritional value?
    Last edited by DJW; 11-19-2013 at 04:29 PM. Reason: more clear

I have also done this to help my bees, I have Lavender and Rosemary on the go from cuttings. I plan to make some more seed bombs too and get them going in my local area

Quote Originally Posted by Mikescomic View Post
    I would have to vote broccoli, I had some blooming last year all the way to the middle of November, resisting temperatures to 20 degrees. The bees were all over it. I know most folks harvest the heads before they go to seed, but I'm now planting it for the bees. When it's blooming, it can have a 1000 blooms a plant and the plant is very waxy being in the cruciferous family, I noticed the same phenomenon when some collards I had went to seed several years ago. I think the bees like it both for nectar and the wax to build comb. I currently have it growing under lights, hoping to have some blooming in the spring so I can attract a swarm to my yard with a waiting empty top bar hive. I know the bees already know where I live.

Mike
    Oh yeah, I noticed that with my broccoli this year! I didn't get very many good heads so I just let the whole huge plant bloom and it was covered in very happy bees. It makes kind of a pretty bushy plant too, doesn't it? I'll have to plant it again this year, just for the bees.

Is Milkweed an invasive type of plant?

Quote Originally Posted by ToeOfDog View Post
    Is Milkweed an invasive type of plant?
    it propagates itself like dandelions do (ie. seeds that disperse in the wind). Did that answer your question?

My bees were all over the manzanita blossoms.

They also enjoy:
    all of my fruit trees, but especially the orange
    rosemary
    raspberries
    blackberries
    lavender

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast