Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Default Re: Bees favorite plant

Quote Originally Posted by givesgoodemail View Post
    Alsike clover and white clover are good. Honey bees can't deal with the depth of the red clover blossom.
    I hear that about red clover all the time but my bees work it to death especially if we've had a heavy fog or misty rain.
    "Of all God's creatures, only the honeybee improves its environment and preys on no other species."--Haydon Brown

try J L Hudsman seeds its a great place to buy bulk and they carry seeds you have a hard time finding other places. I am ordering 3 different types milkweed, lemon balm and others on the list of plants for bees

There is a difference between the two clovers. Crimson can be mistakenly called red. Latin names are wonderful.

Red clover - Trifolium pratense
    https://www.google.com/url?q=http://...tWRzyfcB_eV73Q

Crimson clover - Trifolium incarnatum
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Tr...incarnatum.jpg
    Zone 7b ~ Central Arkansas
    8fr medium equipment

So do bees have a hard time with either of these types of clover? Red or Crimson? or are they both good?

My bee love my loquat tree. It blooms when its starting to cool off and there is nothing else blooming. Also the Chinese tallow tree. Its a very invasive tree but bees cover them.

Japanese Ligustrum
    Fast growing large shrub or small tree. White flowers in summer followed by black berries. Evg. ALS - 20'T x 15'W

The BEST!
    Julysun elevation 23 feet. 4 Hives, 2 years.

Thanks honey!!! Are we the only ones on the gulf coast on this topic. A lot of the plants they are talking about will not grow in 100% humidity(sp?). I think my kids have stopped growing b/c of this too. Just kidding. We over come it by eating. Eating makes us happy.

Aaagggg!!!! I just looked up what you where talking about. Ligustrum is blooming now right? There are 5 50 yr old ones in my yrd now killing us very slowly. Even with eating our own honey my family gets no relief from the runny noses ect. You are correct in that every pollinator is on these trees(bushes) so it is the law of the most high queen bee(me) that they stay.

BOUGIE,
    I forgot to mention the sneeze index!

Last year I had a couple tomatillo plants growing in my garden and they were thick with honeybees. I've planted more this year since they seemed to like them so much. Plus you can make fantastic salsa with them!
    Our hive, which we named "Queen's Landing," got started on May 5, 2013!

So which clover is the correct one for honey bees, crimson or red? better yet use the scientific name.

I know they work white clover and I'm trying crimson this year, but the plants are too small. I'd be interested in this also.

Try Americanmeadows.com they have a polinator mix plus you can order seed. Another for just seed is J.L.Hudson seedman. They carry seeds others don't.

Laurabonitahopkins Tomatoes are crazy when it comes to pollination, not bees, but timing, temp., and a stiff shake are required!

http://gardening.wsu.edu/library/vege016/vege016.htm

Quote Originally Posted by KevinR View Post
    Anyone have a source for bulk borage seeds?

Or any other bulk honey flower seeds.

Thanks
    I got my Borage at the local greenhouse,they came in a bunch 5-6 in a pot . I took them apart and planted them to get a bigger plant.

I have 6 'Blue Mist Spirea' bushes in my backyard alone and another 4 in the front. They are a fairly xeric plant that produces anywhere from a light blue to almost black/blue flower in summer that honey bees love, love, love! After the bees hit them up they will produce a lot of seed and these bushes will spread like crazy if given the right conditions. They will also grow large if allowed, but honey bees go crazy on them here in Colorado.

4974553284_1a3ab28da3.jpg

4884084853_bd23864511.jpg

They also seem to like the Salvias too, especially the dark purple ones, but they come in a lot of different colors. Again, another very xeric plant. One that needs very little water. Once they are established you basically don't bother watering them or they will get real leggy and flop over to the point that it looks like someone sat right in the middle of the plant. Otherwise they are a beautiful addition to any garden or yard.

4901790982_b0a9ec9c2e.jpg

California Poppies are very easy to grow, they reseed themselves almost to the point of being a weed and the bees love them.

8685077152_b67e55e23b.jpg

Another xeric plant that the bees love is Lambs Ear. It grows wild here in the fields and it produces these long shafts of pink flowers. And rabbits don't like to eat these plants. So it's a win, win, win!

4723031612_06924b042b.jpg

And of course Galardia is super popular as well. Again, xeric, its very easy to grow from seed and comes in a lot of different colors.

4762953168_f70b26d6fd.jpg

4854050037_8d8ae3b857.jpg

I live on the plains of Colorado and water here is a real issue. Xeric plants are a must have

As for bee balm, bumble seem to like them best, but I have seen a few honey bees give it a go.

4854053771_37a1999116.jpg
    Last edited by ChasWG; 06-04-2013 at 11:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Waggle View Post
    So which clover is the correct one for honey bees, crimson or red? better yet use the scientific name.
    Crimson is the correct one for honey bees. I don't know the scientific name. Plant it around the time wheat is planted in the fall. It will bloom next spring. This year it started blooming around April 20th here. It is an annual, but it can re-seed itself.

I planted some this spring so I guess it won't bloom this year then? Perhaps next year I'll have a booming year. How long does it bloom for?

I don't know if it will bloom this year or not. As far as how long, I wish I had paid more attention when ours was blooming. I'd say around three weeks. But I'm just guessing

We planted crimson clover last year, and the bees did not work it. This year we planted buckwheat---two thumbs up--they love it!! Also we planted blackberries. They have been working them for over a month.

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast