Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Default Re: Bees favorite plant

Neat video.

I guess that would grow in MD?? Need something for early foraging that will be able to deal with the cold/wet springs here.
    Jen
    Sparks, MD

Dont know, A buddy of mine harvested all the leaves. So this year ill get there before he does and try to make up some. I still had some organic pesticides from gardens alive so I wasnt too worried about loosing the leaves, I just wanted to see if the plant would grow.

I guess to make it all you have to do is steep it, and use it in a spray bottle.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tobacco_water
    Tobacco water is a traditional organic insecticide used in domestic gardening. Tobacco dust can be used similarly. It is produced by boiling strong tobacco in water, or by steeping the tobacco in water for a longer period. When cooled, the mixture can be applied as a spray, or 'painted' on to the leaves of garden plants, where it kills insects.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikescomic View Post
    I would have to vote broccoli, I had some blooming last year all the way to the middle of November, resisting temperatures to 20 degrees. The bees were all over it. I know most folks harvest the heads before they go to seed, but I'm now planting it for the bees. When it's blooming, it can have a 1000 blooms a plant and the plant is very waxy being in the cruciferous family, I noticed the same phenomenon when some collards I had went to seed several years ago. I think the bees like it both for nectar and the wax to build comb. I currently have it growing under lights, hoping to have some blooming in the spring so I can attract a swarm to my yard with a waiting empty top bar hive. I know the bees already know where I live.

Mike
    What does the honey from broccoli taste like?

Honeyseeker

I have noticed they like to work my sunflower feilds realy well and its good honey too.
    C&C Bee Farm

Hi,

That is good to know. I will go ahead with my plans to have a field of sunflowers. I appreciate the info.
    Jen
    Sparks, MD

Bees favorite plant in my garden is Rosemary. It needs pretty mild weather but it flowers in late winter in California when the bees are coming out at the start of the year and they cover the plants!

Clover and orange is commony seen on the retail shelves
    Ernie
    My websitehttp://bees4u.com/

Quote Originally Posted by khaas15 View Post
    I used to think bees didn't like beebalm because of what I was told (tonges too short), but I guess seeing is believing.
    Wow, thanks for those pictures! I wondered about that. I'm constantly being asked about planting beebalm for honeybees and every time I have to give the traditional explanation, people are very disappointed. I think they want a reason to plant beebalm (and who blames them)! Now I can just say, "Well, they may or may not give it a try!"
    4.5 hives of Italians. 2 seasons of experience. And you-- yes, you! You're my mentor!

It's a beautiful plant, comes back every year, is very disease resistant, and from what I've seen...honeybees love it.

John,

What variety did you plant? The ones I googled bloom in July & August.

Are you asking about the Caryopteris? If so, I believe it is the 'Blue Beard' variety. I also have a variegated variety but the bees hardly touch them. In fact, my mother took a liking to those so I think I'll be getting rid of them and sticking something else in their place.

Later, John

No mention of red apple iceplant (Aptenia cordifolia) or Pride of Madira (Echium candicans or Echium fastuosum). My bees cover both when in bloom.

A BeeBee tree in bloom - video.

http://youtu.be/QbW5WSWhdG8

Quote Originally Posted by KevinR View Post
    Anyone have a source for bulk borage seeds?

Or any other bulk honey flower seeds.

Thanks
    You can buy borage seed by the pound here: http://www.johnnyseeds.com/search.as...rchTerm=borage

Johnnyseeds is more expensive than Eden Bros. Someone mentioned that you needed like 15lbs per acre, good lord at $135 for 5lbs, one acre is going to cost a lot.

Just curious if anyone planted Borage this year and whether or not they saw an increase in honey or not?

C2

This topic is probably why I joined this forum.

For the past few years I have had great success in my back yard garden (urban) with sunflowers that grow over 8 feet tall. They sort of work as giant radar dishes tracking the sun and are a magnet for honey bees, bumble bees, sweat bees, parasitic wasps, some sort of spider that has the same colors of the sunflower that captures flies without a web... I grow the sunflowers because they are easy to grow and they pop up over the fence like billboard advertisements for bees that may be foraging a few houses away.

One of the other flowers in my garden that attracts bees when it bolts (actually an herb like Borage.) Basil. The bees go nuts over the basil, I'm not sure if this would make honey taste like a light sweet pesto, but if you planted a row of basil, I feel certain that you would have a swarm of bees in your yard.

One of the plants that comes up in my yard without seed is a mildly invasive vine called the Passion Flower/Passion fruit vine. This has been a plant that all the bees in my yard flock to. at times, the honey bees will focus on one flower (the flowers are a tad larger than a silver dollar) It is easy to find 5-6 honey bees on one flower along with a couple of bumble bees. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Passiflora_incarnata

Along with these plants I have a large variety of other botanicals around the house that attract pollinators. Bee Balm, white sage, wild onions (That were imported into my yard by birds. various varieties of honeysuckle, zone 6a ice plant (That somehow survives winter freezing.)

I have some clumps of sweet peas, but I never see many bees get too excited over this flower.

Out of all the flowers I have summed it up to three in my garden (Sunflowers, Passion flowers, and basil.)
    I am going to order some unusual heirloom varieties of giant sunflowers for next year, and Borage will grow next to my tomato plants as usual... Anyway, I am hoping that there are some other flowers that I can try out for next year that are just as impressive as bee magnets as what I have already have. I don't do bee keeping, but I am interested in bringing as many bees and pollinators to my garden as possible.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by inlikeflint; 09-11-2011 at 09:28 PM. Reason: adding a photo.

First year beek here and I've been trying to figure out what my bee's are actually eating. I rarely find them on any of the plants I've heard they like (Sunflower, Berries, goldenrod, etc..). These plants are covered in bumbles, but almost never a hon. Here is my list of the plants I have seen them on in order of most frequently visited first:

Basil
    Wood Sorrel (weed)
    Cucumber
    Mile-a-Minute (weed)
    Clover
    Nandina
    Holly
    Thistle (weed)
    Raspberry

Yesterday, I dumped a case of moldy rotting peaches into my compost pile. I didn't cover the peaches with anything and today I have honey bees, wasps, flies, eating the peaches.

I am guessing that a peach tree would make a nice plant to attract bees.

I vote for Fruit trees, then dandelions, and the top of my list is sweet clover.
    I love milk weed but it seems my bees didn't.
    Kingsville Ohio 44048

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast