Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Best place for swarm trap?

What's the best place to hang afive frame nuc as a swarm trap?In the woods,out in the open?how high off the ground etc. Thanks John
    jlk

Default Re: Best place for swarm trap?

I just put em someplace close to the flight path to good forage. Get lots of visitors and an occasional swarm.

Do a search on this forum for swarm traps.

You will find lots of info.
    Old Guy in Alabama

Swarms are opportunists and will move into any cavity that meets their immediate requirements. But to increase your odds of attracting a swarm to your box I can think of a couple basic principles of trap placement to give you more success. First, set the trap up at least 6-8 feet off the ground. They are looking for a home safe from ground predators and prefer an elevated entrance. Next, try to position the box so it receives early morning sun facing South-SouthEast, preferably with some kind of north side protection.

Scents work wonders too. Use a swarm lure or Lemon Grass Oil to attract scout bees. If you have used frames to put in the box a "hive scent" is also very attractive to the bees.

As jrbbees mentioned, there are a lot of threads you can search out to give you more ideas. Good luck.
    To everything there is a season....

From recent threads it seems the best place for a swarm trap is San Mateo California...

On fence line or field road,on a gas line right of way. All with a little shade. I caught 9 out 10 last year . The one with no result was in full sun.
    Don't think you are on the right road simply because it is a well worn pathway.

Thumbs Up Re: Best place for swarm trap?

All the info given here is great, but if you really want to be amazed, get the book, Honeybee Democracy by Thomas D. Seeley. He goes into great detail describing his research into swarms. It's all very easy to understand the way he explains it and his directions are easy to follow. This is one of the most entertaining, enlightening books I've ever read and I recommend it highly.

You MUST have some Bee Hives in the vicinity.
    Set up a dozen swarm traps, and if there are no bees in the area, you won't trap any.

Some books are saying, "to become a beekeeper go and trap a swarm"
    Sure, a swarm on every corner block !!

Take things you read on Forums with a grain or two of salt !

I say Good Luck.

PCM

Quote Originally Posted by Adrian Quiney WI View Post
    From recent threads it seems the best place for a swarm trap is San Mateo California...
    YEP,
    Right out in the middle of the Almond thickets, with several million Hives !!

PCM

Quote Originally Posted by Adrian Quiney WI View Post
    I doubt that my area is any better than similar neighborhoods up and down California or other similar climates across the world. My biggest advantage has been having a huge percent of my bees die the last few winters, supplying me with ample used combs to attract new swarms. I think I read that there were 12 million new hobby beekeepers in the US since 2008. That's a lot of poorly managed hives casting swarms, many started from packages with good commercial queen stock. I caught ten in San Jose, and most of the bees were lovely yellow, gentle, quiet stock, furthest genes from `feral' I have ever caught. They produced a crop, and now 70% are dead.

Quote Originally Posted by PCM View Post
    YEP,
    Right out in the middle of the Almond thickets, with several million Hives PCM
    I am several hours drive away from almonds and all the other large scale commercial agricultural beekeeping.
    My bait catches are from ferals in hollow oak trees, hobbyist hives and fellow sideliner beekeeper's hives. I have caught eight on my street several years in a row, and just for the first time met a local sideliner who came to buy honey from me. He keeps 35 hives at his family home less than a mile away, and buys packages regularly. He was raving about how many swarms he catches, guess where, near my family home where I have kept hives for 40 years. I caught four at my electrician's house, and later saw a Craigslist add by a sideliner selling swarm nucs, who lives half a block away from my electrician.
    It is easy to catch fish at a trout farm. Like a lot of other things, location, location, location.

i tried the waxed cardboard nuc boxes for trap this year and put in 3 frames of drawn comb with a swarm lure and only caught wax moths!!!! i think next year i'll try foundation to still give the wax scent and hopefully won't pick up the moths.

Quote Originally Posted by beefarmer View Post
    i tried the waxed cardboard nuc boxes for trap this year
    This cardboard bait caught a swarm three hours after being placed out on a table. After two hours the host called "there are at 200 bees around the trap!!!" At three hours he called " they are coming down the alley... they are turning in the driveway!!!"

For you that use old combs in the bait hives, how do you keep the wax moths from taking over?

Quote Originally Posted by paintingpreacher View Post
    , how do you keep the wax moths from taking over?
    Never had wax moth damage the comb when treated with this.
    http://www.beesource.com/forums/showthread.php?t=225796

Frank, I'm jealous.

I have two at the bottom of my garden where I can see them from the kitchen, just had one land, 8.30 am new years day in Melbourne, it was 40 C yesterday and humid stormy 26 C today.
    Alex King (K142), Melbourne, Oz. Beekeeper since 1962

Mike, link is no good.

Seems to work for me. Here is the current last page of the thread.
    But it looks like Sundance will not be selling any more this winter.

http://www.beesource.com/forums/show...-Powder/page12

Quote Originally Posted by beefarmer View Post
    i tried the waxed cardboard nuc boxes for trap this year and put in 3 frames of drawn comb with a swarm lure and only caught wax moths!!!! i think next year i'll try foundation to still give the wax scent and hopefully won't pick up the moths.
    Put a few chunks of burr comb that been scraped of the top of the frames in the trap for the smell.