Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Bottom for a Queen Castle

3K views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  winevines 
#1 ·
I am toying with the idea of building a queen castle during some of my winter 'down' time. I am thinking of perhaps a three compartment (3 frames/compartment) box with a telescoping top.

My question is this: Would a screened bottom or a solid bottom be better. I can do either while still keeping each compartment separate and secure.

Are the benefits of increased ventilation greater than subsequent cooler temperatures inside the hive or the extra energy needed to keep the temperature around the brood sufficiently high.

I am in North Dakota - so burning hot summers aren't really a problem.

Thanks for any advice.

Mike

#2 ·
I made one. I wouldn't use a screen bottom board, there are not that many bees in a compartment to regulate the hive temperature. Queens returning might find their way to the wrong side of the screen.
Also, consider making the depth about 10 1/2 inches. If you come across naturally occurring cells on bottom of frames you can put them in a compartment with less fear of squishing them.

#3 ·
Adrian is right. We started just splitting a deep box into 3, 3 frame compartment and giving each an entrance on opposite sides. Screwed on piece of plywood for bottom. This put bottom of frame about 1/4 inch off bottom.

Turns out, a lot of swarm cells are on bottom edge of frame and extend below frame 1/2 inch or more. We pulled off all bottoms and added 3/4 ripper around box then put bottom back on.

Also returning queens can end up on bottom and not find way back into hive.

Johnny

#6 ·
My question is this: Would a screened bottom or a solid bottom be better. I can do either while still keeping each compartment separate and secure.

Are the benefits of increased ventilation greater than subsequent cooler temperatures inside the hive or the extra energy needed to keep the temperature around the brood sufficiently high.
We bought BM queen castles and made screened bottom boards. We only used them in two compartments, still just with 4 frames each plus a feeder on each side.. They worked just fine and come Fall, we slid the mite tray in to close up the screen for the winter. I also like being able to slide the mite tray out and see what is going on during the cold season. We are in VA and have hot and humid summers so that is another difference.
I have a zillion photos if you want to see what we did.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.