Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Re: Fancy Garden Hive

One wood to consider, if you think bright yellow / dark brown would sell, is Osage Orange (Maclura Pomifera), also known as Bowdark or Bois d'Arc, if you can find a piece large enough. The stuff lasts a LONG time out in the weather. It is an excellent choice for someone who does not want to paint their hives. Watch out for those 2" thorns, though. Also, if you find any straight grained, unblemished, knotless staves over 72 inches long, please inform me via private message. I build Native American replica bows with it. Thanks!

Sounds interesting. Where does the tree grow?

I saw some when I was deer unting up in Owen county and over in Indiania. I think they may also go by the name of hedge apples here in Ky. Alot of they guys I know up that way use them for frnce posts.

I saw some when I was deer unting up in Owen county and over in Indiania. I think they may also go by the name of hedge apples here in Ky. Alot of they guys I know up that way use them for fence posts.

Osage orange grows in the central midwestern states - Arkansas, Missouri, Tennessee, Kentucky, I would imagine Kansas and Oklahoma, and I've heard it grows in north eastern Texas. Like Dunkel says, it makes a good fence posts. Ask a traditional archer if he knows where to get a piece that is short but wide enough. The trunks probably don't grow big enough, or they'd already be popular for beehives. I'd consider joining it with a finger glue joint router bit, as you don't have the bending loads that archers deal with. It might prove impractical due to size.

I figured it must be a small tree like sassafras or persimmon. Iíve never run across it and I did a lot of backwoods running while growing up in the eastern part of KY. I havenít seen it in central KY either.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123