Hybrid View

Default Fancy Garden Hive

We've built an inital prototype of a fancy garden hive. This is a medium super. We're thinking of having a deep hive body with a banner in the center for a name or farm name. What do you think of the design?

Default Re: Fancy Garden Hive

I can't quite tell what I'm looking at. Is that a side of a box with the fingers of the box joint on either side? Is it wood? Pretty impressive.
    Nobody ruins my day without my permission, and I refuse to grant it...

Sorry,
    Should have had more detail, it's an 8-frame medium, the front of the box. It takes a bit to cut out and we run mediums, so I thought we would start with that before moving on to deeps. That way, I get to use the prototypes!

looks nice - id just worry about decay - looks as thought you carved out about 3/8 or so of the wood to get the honeycomb cells ???

id be upset to order a box that would only last 2 years in the weather ???

maybe if you dipped the whole thing it might last

but great job on it

We figured it would need to be stained/coated or dipped heavily. The other way of making it would be to make the board thicker to accommodate the carving and then sloping it back into 3/4" so the main thickness is 3/4" solid. We may go a head and cut one of those to see how it would look. We were also a bit worried about the final thickness of the panel.

We were also thinking of making it from sassafras instead of pine for more durability, plus we can get the sassafras locally. I think red cedar would also be very pretty. We can drive a bit and get cypress. That would probably also help on the longevity of the boxes.

A box like this would be expensive, so you’d definitely want it to last quite a while.

Handholds, cleats?

KB.. i like it,looks great.
    We also manufacture lots of cedar hives for sale,and already make a pretty hive for gardens with stand and gabled roof,but have been thinking of doing something similar to yours for a while now,but perhaps not quite as elaborate.
    Have also been toying with the idea of making a few out of english walnut,have plenty of that at the moment. Obviously same as yourself,would not be selling them cheap,made for a select kind of market really,as opposed to the normal production hives. Love to see a picture of one of yours when all made up complete.