Hybrid View

Default Perm E8 treatment

I'm assembling new boxes and had bought Perm E8 from Dadants and wanted some advise on its application from you guys who have used the product.

How do you dilute it and how do you apply it. Brush, dip (if so, how long to soak), etc...

Thanks

Brent
    Sucking the marrow of life doesnt mean choking on the bone...

Default Re: Perm E8 treatment

I dilute 5 to 1 with kerosene and dip for 4 days to a week. Then I let it air dry in my storage shead. When the weather warms and we have some sun I put them outside in the sun for a week or two before using them.

Think very long and hard before you put it on any inside surface where the bees will live. It will get in to the honey. Who do you want to eat it?
    Old Guy in Alabama

John from Georgia Bees has a youtube video showing how to soak your entire unassembled hive/honey supers in a bucket of Perm E8 prior to assembling.
    Sounds like the area he is in wooden ware rots fast and also has problems with termites!?
    I guess I don't blame someone for trying to make there wooden ware last as long as possible, but I don't know if I could do that to my bees and also take the chance with the honey that I sell to my customers???

Study done in 1980 showed that honey from colonies that were treated with copper napthanate contained less than 1 part per million more copper than the control colonies that were not treated.

Thanks AR Beekeeper! I was not aware of that, sure makes me feel better.
    I really thought it was hard to believe that Beeks would intentionally put toxic crap in there hive boxes!
    Mtn. Bee

We use a water soluable form of copper napthenate called Cunapsol-5.
    It is way cheaper than the permeate and drys a lot faster. Check the label on the Perm E8 and see if you are able to use latex paint over it. Most of the oil formulas require oil based paint over them which is costly.

Johnny
    "Suppose you were an idiot and suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself." - Mark Twain