Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

honey jelly

82K views 55 replies 22 participants last post by  Cabin 
#1 ·
i finally tried the honey jelly recipe from the super formulas book with honey, water and liquid fruit pectin. it states give it a chance don't throw it away to early thinking it won;t set up. it has been 3 wks. now and still runny as water, what happened? could i use the gungel jell, [i think it is called, from a maple syrup jelly recipe] or is something else that works?

#33 ·
Just made some of the plain honey jelly over the weekend. What a super simple recipe! Turned out wonderful. I'm excited to get some fresh fruit and try the juice instead of water recipe!

How does wild blackraspberry honey jelly sound? =o)

Thanks for posting the recipe!

#34 ·
I canned peach halves last year using a honey-sugar syrup. It was a happy accident -- I ran out of sugar when I was canning my last batch of peaches. In desperation, I substituted honey for about half the sugar. Since honey is sweeter than sugar, I added 2/3 to 3/4 cup of honey for each cup of sugar removed from the syrup. Wow -- these honeyed peaches taste wonderful, and I'm sorry I didn't run out of sugar sooner! I think a syrup with 100% honey might overwhelm the peach flavor, so I plan to stick with the part-sugar part-honey syrup. Yum!!!!!

#36 ·
I haven't made honey jelly using the recipe in this thread, but I have made other jellies, jams, etc. Jellies have usually jelled fairly fast for me if they jell properly. Jams and preserves seem to take awhile to thicken, but they firm up eventually -- sometimes the process can take a week or two. Your jelly might not jell ... but I would wait 2-3 days before making that decision. If it's been a week or so since you made it, that's probably long enough and I would try re-doing the batch.

Jelling depends on proper balance of sugar and acid levels. Some issues that can affect this balance: the blackberries might have been over-ripe (lowers the acid content) or the honey was unripe (not enough sugar). Another thought is the pectin may have been too old.

There are "remake" recipes for redoing jelly that doesn't set, but they are specific to the brand and type of pectin you used. Do you still have the sheet that came with your pectin? Check there if you do. If not, might be on the manufacturer's website.

Kraft makes Certo and SureJell products: http://www.kraftbrands.com/surejell/products.aspx
Remake recipe for Certo: http://www.kraftrecipes.com/recipes/remake-directions-for-certo-107820.aspx You'll notice the re-make recipe adds extra sugar and acid (lemon juice) to boost low levels of these ingredients, if that is the problem.

#37 ·
Yup, the honey jelly that I made seemed to take awhile to set up. I was a little disappointed right after I made it...it was pretty runny. I gave it a while and it firmed right up.

I can imagine the color of that blackberry honey jelly is simply beautiful. =o)

#38 ·
The recipe calls for 1 bag of liquid pectin, how many ounces would that be?
I read a recipe that called for a 3oz bag with 1 3/4 honey and 1/2 cup water which is 1/2 of what is called for in thread 4.
For 3 cups honey and 1 cup water are you using 1 3oz bag or 1 6oz bag?

#44 ·
I have not had good success with my honey jelly setting up. My first batch of plain honey jelly set up after 2 weeks. I did a batch of cinnamon that was more firm than runny. My next two batches have not set up and I remade a few jars this morning adding a little more liquid pectin. The frustrating part is I used the same batch of honey for all.

The cinnamon is preferred by people. when they try the plain honey jelly they just tell me it tastes like honey, go figure!

Tom

#49 ·
#51 ·
3.5 Be certain that the rims of the jars have no spills on them before applying the rubber ring lid. Any spilled material on the jar rim is likely to result in a poor/no seal. An inexpensive funnel designed for this purpose is useful in that regard.

6. My experience with tightening the screw rings after removing from heat is that it just makes the rings very difficult to remove when you later want to use the contents. If the lid didn't seal properly while it was hot, tightening it later isn't going to fix that.

#52 ·
Also discard any jars with a chips on the rim.

If you do leave the rim somewhat loose, heat the jar in a water bath to remove the air and then remove the heated jars and tighten, the success ratio for sealing is near 100%. Just saying tighten them down but don't tighten till you can you can't turn no more!

Lids that are hard to remove are usually rusted or contain sugar. Invert the jar and run hot water on/around the rim. This loosens the sugar and expands the rim. Get a jar gripper and a helper and they'll come off.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.