Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: honey jelly

Default Re: honey jelly

The honey jelly turned out great! I visited my mother this weekend and took a jar to her and tried it out on her first. It was very well received, so I gave it a try. Looks like it should be a good addition to my regular honey sales. I'll be making more!
    Good recipe!
    Barry
    KC9TER

For those who can't fathom why one would make/sell/eat honey jelly: I have a friend who doesn't "do messy" as she puts it. She won't eat anything runny or sticky, so honey on her toast isn't an option for her. Honey jelly is a way to enjoy eating honey with less chance of a mess. Also honey jelly is something different than regular or creamed honey -- and that difference can be fun. --DeeAnna

O.K. no names needed ,but now finally I kinda have a better appreciation for why one would want to make honey from honey the no drip idea makes more sense thanks
    Honeydew

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Tolson View Post
    The honey jelly turned out great! I visited my mother this weekend and took a jar to her and tried it out on her first. It was very well received, so I gave it a try. Looks like it should be a good addition to my regular honey sales. I'll be making more!
    Good recipe!
    I'm still trying to figure out where this recipe is.
    Can someone post or point to a recipe that worked well and gelled up nicely please?
    The little bee returns with evening's gloom,
    To join her comrades in the braided hive... -Tennyson

Omie,
    I used Wolftrainers recipe from post#4 on this thread. Couldn't bee easier! 1 cup water, 3 cups honey, and pouch of liquid pectin. I brought the honey and water up to a boil...added the pectin...took it off the heat after 1 minute...into jars...then hot water processed for 5 minutes.
    My previous canning experiences make me want to try it without the hot water bath at the end. Mine was set up by the next morning. I like easy recipes that are good.
    Barry
    KC9TER

wow that's such a simple recipe! And no sugar at all. Cool!

I recommend you do not skip the 5 min processing though- it will kill any bacteria that sneak their way onto the lids when you are handling, filling, and closing the jars. That way, once the jars are processed and do their own vacuum seal thing, they can be much more safely stored on a shelf with no refrigeration.

thanks!

I agree that the boiling water bath is a good idea that shouldn't be skipped. With the water and pectin added to the honey, the jelly probably does not have a high enough sugar content to prevent growth of organisms, including botulism.

I concede the "no hot water bath" approach will probably work at least 99% of the time. The small chance of causing a life threatening illness is a risk that I want to minimize, however, so I'll stick with the hot water bath.

A very good (and inexpensive) reference for canning is the "Ball Blue Book". It is updated frequently, so the latest edition will contain the most recent information on safe canning techniques. The blue book is often sold where canning supplies are sold -- walmart, kmart, hardware stores, sometimes grocery stores. See also http://www.freshpreservingstore.com/...CL+14400214001

--DeeAnna

Thanks for the feedback! I have several Ball Blue Books and enjoy collecting the older canning guides, too, when I come across them.
    5 minutes in the canner is certainly no hardship. And a very good idea for the honey jelly to be sold.
    Omie...let us know if you whip up a batch of jelly. I'd like to hear how it turns out.
    Anyone have a thoughts about the price one might get for say a 4oz jar o' honey jelly?
    Last edited by Barry Tolson; 02-22-2011 at 07:52 PM. Reason: Corrected Spelling.
    Barry
    KC9TER

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Tolson View Post
    Omie...let us know if you whip up a batch of jelly. I'd like to hear how it turns out.
    Anyone have a thoughts about the price one might get for say a 4oz jar o' honey jelly?

Guessing maybe $3.50-3.99 for a 4oz jar?
    When my favorite brand of rosemary-garlic jelly hit $8 for an 8 oz jar, I started making my own!
    Not going to be making any honey jelly til I get some honey, hopefully this my 2nd BK year!

I squeezed out blackberry juice from my blackberrys and used that instead of the water part. It is great, tastes to good to sell we just give it away to friends and family,,, Go figure...
    I'm not tense, Just terribly, terribly alert!

Besides bees i own a peach orchards last year we made peach honey jam could not make enough of it people would by it as fast as we could make it. Replaced all the sugar with honey made a unique tast.

Wow, such great ideas! Blackberry juice/honey jelly, peach/honey jelly....

(now where's the 'drooling emoticon/smiley' when you need it?)

Just made some of the plain honey jelly over the weekend. What a super simple recipe! Turned out wonderful. I'm excited to get some fresh fruit and try the juice instead of water recipe!

How does wild blackraspberry honey jelly sound? =o)

Thanks for posting the recipe!

I canned peach halves last year using a honey-sugar syrup. It was a happy accident -- I ran out of sugar when I was canning my last batch of peaches. In desperation, I substituted honey for about half the sugar. Since honey is sweeter than sugar, I added 2/3 to 3/4 cup of honey for each cup of sugar removed from the syrup. Wow -- these honeyed peaches taste wonderful, and I'm sorry I didn't run out of sugar sooner! I think a syrup with 100% honey might overwhelm the peach flavor, so I plan to stick with the part-sugar part-honey syrup. Yum!!!!!

3 cups honey, 1 cup fresh blackberry juice, brought to a boil stirred in liquid pectin, water bath.
    How long does it take to set up if it is going to?
    Mines seems thinner than honey right now

I haven't made honey jelly using the recipe in this thread, but I have made other jellies, jams, etc. Jellies have usually jelled fairly fast for me if they jell properly. Jams and preserves seem to take awhile to thicken, but they firm up eventually -- sometimes the process can take a week or two. Your jelly might not jell ... but I would wait 2-3 days before making that decision. If it's been a week or so since you made it, that's probably long enough and I would try re-doing the batch.

Jelling depends on proper balance of sugar and acid levels. Some issues that can affect this balance: the blackberries might have been over-ripe (lowers the acid content) or the honey was unripe (not enough sugar). Another thought is the pectin may have been too old.

There are "remake" recipes for redoing jelly that doesn't set, but they are specific to the brand and type of pectin you used. Do you still have the sheet that came with your pectin? Check there if you do. If not, might be on the manufacturer's website.

Kraft makes Certo and SureJell products: http://www.kraftbrands.com/surejell/products.aspx
    Remake recipe for Certo: http://www.kraftrecipes.com/recipes/...to-107820.aspx You'll notice the re-make recipe adds extra sugar and acid (lemon juice) to boost low levels of these ingredients, if that is the problem.

Yup, the honey jelly that I made seemed to take awhile to set up. I was a little disappointed right after I made it...it was pretty runny. I gave it a while and it firmed right up.

I can imagine the color of that blackberry honey jelly is simply beautiful. =o)

The recipe calls for 1 bag of liquid pectin, how many ounces would that be?
    I read a recipe that called for a 3oz bag with 1 3/4 honey and 1/2 cup water which is 1/2 of what is called for in thread 4.
    For 3 cups honey and 1 cup water are you using 1 3oz bag or 1 6oz bag?

The recipe I used was also the 3 cups honey, 1 cup water and 1 pouch of liquid pectin.

I used Certo Sure Jell and it's single pouch weighed out to be 3 oz. I guess I didn't even know it came in a bigger pouch.

What was the recipe you used? I am looking for a good peach honey jam recipe.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast