Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: honey jelly

Default Re: honey jelly

Blue, the recipe says 3 cups (2 1/4 )lbs honey, 1 cup water, 1 foil pouch liquid pectin. Hope it works for you, my first time didn't set up, did 2nd batch and it worked great.

Thanks I'll try that!

I can't wait to try this recipe out!

I have not had good success with my honey jelly setting up. My first batch of plain honey jelly set up after 2 weeks. I did a batch of cinnamon that was more firm than runny. My next two batches have not set up and I remade a few jars this morning adding a little more liquid pectin. The frustrating part is I used the same batch of honey for all.

The cinnamon is preferred by people. when they try the plain honey jelly they just tell me it tastes like honey, go figure!

Tom

Kind of seems a shame to ruin the good stuff in honey by heating it to a boil , I guess there is no way to make it without boiling it is there .It sounds so good though.

Laketrout,

The people who bought the honey jelly were not concerned with it no longer being raw. I haven't done a lot of it. It is more like a specialty product for me.

Tom

I am new to canning and such but want to make the honey jelly for Christmas gifts can someone please fully explain the water bath step so that I know the jars are properly sealed? Thanks in advance!

We can figs and peaches with honey and use apple juice instead of pectin. It doesn't get "stand up a spoon" thick, but it does thicken up enough to not run off of a biscuit.

Quote Originally Posted by jewelee View Post
    ...explain the water bath step so that I know the jars are properly sealed?
    If you've never canned before, the answer isn't a short 'n sweet one. These resources will give you the basics of preserving food safely:

http://nchfp.uga.edu/publications/pu...ions_usda.html
    http://www.freshpreserving.com/getting-started
    http://foodinjars.com/canning-101-archive/

Quote Originally Posted by jewelee View Post
    I am new to canning and such but want to make the honey jelly for Christmas gifts can someone please fully explain the water bath step so that I know the jars are properly sealed? Thanks in advance!
    Here's a kick at it. Anybody feel free to add. PM me, if you wish, if you want further clarification

1. Sterlize jars by inverting them in a pan and boil slow for 10 mins. Remove them and let dry.

2. Put jelly in jars, fill no more than 1/2 inch from top. Need an air gap.

3. Place lids with rubber ring in a pan and bring to a boil. My understanding is to soften the rubber somewhat. Use a magnet (looks like a screw driver with a flat magnet on the end)to remove the lids one at a time.

4. Put lid on jar and screw lid down so it is barely tight. Trick is you want hot air to be able to escape when you boil the jars of jelly with lids on.

5. Boil(slow boil) for 5 mins. Place lid on pot while boiling. Just fill pot up to bottoms of metal rings on jars.

6. Remove jars from water and tighten lids. You want rubber ring to now fit tightly to glass. When jars cool, air and jelly in jars will contract and pull center of metal lid down. They are now sealed. After 30 mins has passed, go around and tap the centers of the lids and if they pop up and down, they are not sealed and will likely ferment. If this happens, you can try the process again with a new lid or put it in the fridge and use it up.
    If you always do what you always did, you'll always get what you always got!

3.5 Be certain that the rims of the jars have no spills on them before applying the rubber ring lid. Any spilled material on the jar rim is likely to result in a poor/no seal. An inexpensive funnel designed for this purpose is useful in that regard.

6. My experience with tightening the screw rings after removing from heat is that it just makes the rings very difficult to remove when you later want to use the contents. If the lid didn't seal properly while it was hot, tightening it later isn't going to fix that.
    Graham
    USDA Zone 7A Elevation 1400 ft

Quote Originally Posted by Rader Sidetrack View Post
    3.5 Be certain that the rims of the jars have no spills on them before applying the rubber ring lid. Any spilled material on the jar rim is likely to result in a poor/no seal. An inexpensive funnel designed for this purpose is useful in that regard.

6. My experience with tightening the screw rings after removing from heat is that it just makes the rings very difficult to remove when you later want to use the contents. If the lid didn't seal properly while it was hot, tightening it later isn't going to fix that.
    Also discard any jars with a chips on the rim.

If you do leave the rim somewhat loose, heat the jar in a water bath to remove the air and then remove the heated jars and tighten, the success ratio for sealing is near 100%. Just saying tighten them down but don't tighten till you can you can't turn no more!

Lids that are hard to remove are usually rusted or contain sugar. Invert the jar and run hot water on/around the rim. This loosens the sugar and expands the rim. Get a jar gripper and a helper and they'll come off.
    If you always do what you always did, you'll always get what you always got!

How much liquid pectin, by weight or volume measure, is in a packet. Here liquid pectin often is in a bottle.
    Janne....first hives April 2013, 19 hives, treat, plant zone 8b, at sea level, latitude 49.13, longitude 123.06

Can you tell me what the process is for remaking if the jelly doesn't set up? Mine is still real thin. All I can find for remaking jelly calls for sugar, lemon juice, and pectin but want to make sure this is how to do honey jelly.

WBVC there is 3 ounces in the liquid pectin pouch