Thread: Buying frames

Default Buying frames

So I'm hopefully going to be setting up my first hives in the next couple weeks, so I thought I better buy some frames...
    Looking online, I realize there is a lot more to it than I thought...wired, crimped, top bar, F-style, D-style... I thought it was as easy as deep vs medium vs shallow!
    I could really use some advice and a shopping list. I want to go wax foundation (unless you advise otherwise) and plan to draw honey from my mediums. If someone can feed me list of exactly (and everything) I should buy, I would really appreciate it. All I have so far are the hives.
    Thanks!

Default Re: Buying frames

No one should give you an exact list of what to buy. That's akin to someone telling you which car to buy. You have to decide which style of frames and foundation you want to use. Start with this first. http://www.beesource.com/product-reviews/wood-frames/
    Decided if you want wax or plastic foundation, deep or medium chambers, then order your frames.
    Regards, Barry

I always ask my brother the mechanic exactly what car to buy, so bad analogy
    Actually, that page is exactly what I need, thanks

which every style you chose i suggest using a deep brood chamber and a super of your choice either a shallow or medium if you use just one that is lees equipment that you have to purchase .I have booth sizes and when you visit the yards you always have the wrong frames for the hive that you are working

Quote Originally Posted by leejones15 View Post
    I always ask my brother the mechanic exactly what car to buy, so bad analogy
    Actually, that page is exactly what I need, thanks
    But here you're asking a large group of people who don't know you or your particular needs/style. That's why you ask your brother about a car and not strangers. But we're here to help point you in the direction you're interested in. Once you refine your thoughts about how you want to manage your bees (deeps and mediums , all deeps, all mediums, wax, plastic), then we can give you the exact items to order, or recommend what to buy.

I started out with 10 frame deep brood chambers and used mediums for honey supers. Years later after I got out of beekeeping for a few years, I went to all mediums. Now I'm going back to the deep brood/medium honey setup again.
    Regards, Barry

If you have local keepers, ask what they use or what they got started with.

I used deeps for my brood chambers, shallow super for honey when the time comes. I use plastic RiteCell foundation that's wax coated, and the bees didn't take any time in drawing out comb, fresh out of a package.
    Zone 7a

My free advice... I have had better luck when I did not know much with wired, wax foundation. I like to use the kind with the hook. This means that I buy frames with the wedge. I find now that I like having drawn comb available for use so I am working at standardizing things to have only one frame size.