Default Safety of eclaimed wood for hives

I bought some old cedar planks that used to be a fence. the paint on there is latex, but I want to take it to bare wood. I bought some Citristrip because it's supposed to be "safer," instead of regular paint stripper. will citristrip leech any chemicals into the wood that could potentially harm my bees or contaminate my honey?

Default Re: Safety of eclaimed wood for hives

I don't know about Citristrip, but I use reclaimed wood and if needed, I sand it off with an electric sander. Fast, easy, and no chemicals to worry about. You only have to sand one side, the side that will face the inside.

I have a random orbit sander, it did okay with 40 grit, but it took a few minutes. I've got about fifteen 6ft plans, and there's a ton more where it came from. just looking to save some time.

leave it, it won't hurt em, they'll cover it with propolis.

It is probably better to leave it alone if you think it is old enough to have lead paint -- the dust is a serious health hazard.

However, the paint will play merry h..l with saw blades, you might want to remove it from the ends of the boards when cutting box joints.

Peter