Default My queen is laying wall to wall

I didn't check one of my hives for a long time, and it has been raining quite a bit lately. Today was the first sunny day in a while so I checked all my hives. I was surprised to find that the one hive I hadn't checked for a while was jam packed with brood. Is this normal for central California this time of year? I thought they were supposed to slow down a bit.

Default Re: My queen is laying wall to wall

Warm nights and food. Better than a roaring fireplace and a good bee book or magazine. The rain has kept the nights fairly warm recently. Don't have any yards as far south as you are but the coast is a far better place than the feedless valley for bees this time of year. Theres a reason many of the smart valley beeks who want to go to the Almonds in good shape head your way for the late fall and early winter. The euk is blooming near the Bay area north of you so I'm sure your bees are chewing on something similar by you.

Mustard pollen is coming in heavy here, and the Loquat trees are starting to bloom.
    "Experience is that which enables us to recognize our mistakes - the next time we make them."

Last year was the first Eucalyptus globulus flow failure I have seen in 40 years, they are making up for it this year. The good hives are booming here but hearing of large amounts of die off again. Celebrate the BLOOM.

Yes, I am noticing lots of Eucalyptus blooms right now. Loving it! I wish I could say my other two hives were doing as well, but they are not. I combined them today.

I checked my weakest hive yesterday, Russians. They have started raising some brood, just not flying much. On the other hand, I have 4 nucs that are foraging & raising brood like crazy.
    Funny the nucs are more active than my 10 frame hives. They get a little more sun in that part of my yard.
    Dan

Quote Originally Posted by Honeycomb View Post
    I was surprised to find that the one hive I hadn't checked for a while was jam packed with brood..
    a prolific queen of this type is the one a beekeeper should look to for his splits and queen rearing stock

Merry Christmas

Tommyt