Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: 2011 USFBG Bee Workshops Tampa FL

We are in need of containers to hold all that honey. Bring your bee brush along with your smoker, hive tool, veil and notebook. This will not replace the Products of the Hive and Extracting in August. It is just another opportunity to experience the rewards!
    americasbeekeeper.com
    beekeeper@americasbeekeeper.com

There were 20 at the queen rearng workshop this weekend. The pictures are linked in the Gallery. August is honey extraction and products of the hive. We have two CONEX boxes for a honey extraction room and equipment storage.
    americasbeekeeper.com

The mystery of the queens from the queen rearing class being killed is resolved. I was checking the hives prior to the next class and discovered something I did not expect. I fully expected to see brood in every super since we do “open brood nest” with no queen excluder. When I was looking for queens, I found brood in the top super, no surprise, then noticed it was above the queen excluder on our queen cell builder hive. In everyone’s defense she was a real runner. I had to separate the frames into groups of five, check them each three times, and when I had her frame into a new hive, I still had to flip it a few times to find her and make sure she followed the frame into the new hive. I can leave her in a teaching hive or move her to my wife’s hive if you do not want the challenge of chasing her next April’s split class. Just kidding! She is a big golden lady and mother’s the best hive there.
    americasbeekeeper.com

One of the sweetest events of the year is just around the corner. The University of South Florida Botanical Gardens is getting ready for the second Annual Honey Tasting Event from 3-5 p.m. on Saturday, Sept. 24 at the gardens.

The USF Botanical Gardens will give participants the opportunity to taste unusual and exotic honey from around the world, as well as honey produced by USF bees. The event also will include live music, food, activities for children, and a local beer-brewing club will come by with samples.

Laurie Walker, director of the USF Botanical Gardens, hopes to have another successful event. “Last year we really didn’t know what to expect and were thrilled with over 100 people,” she said. “This year, I hope we have even more.”

Tickets are $20 and available by calling (813) 974-2329 or by stopping by the garden’s office located at 12210 USF Pine Dr.

The funds raised by the event will go toward supporting the Botanical Garden’s beekeeper, buying new supplies, and offering more beekeeping courses. It also will allow the Botanical Gardens to have more guest speakers and educational experiences for visitors.
    americasbeekeeper.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12