Default Okay, Facebook...now what?

I walked through the "Do you have a Facebook" thread.

I don't have a Facebook page, looks like too much work and time. All the fake names and false birthdates seems to defeat the purpose of social networking. I mean, people are supposed to be looking for me. It looks great for self-promotion.

So, for those of you who DO have a Facebook page, 1) how much time in a week do you spend on it?

2) How does it help your beekeeping?

Grant
    Jackson, MO http://maxhoney.homestead.com
    Beekeeping With Twenty-five Hives: https://www.createspace.com/4152725

Default Re: Okay, Facebook...now what?

I just started. My family talked me into it. They shamed me into starting up saying I used to be on the cutting edge - had a personal computer since the 70's. I am of the opinion that it makes as much sense as texting.

At this point I don't see it helpng my bee keeping.
    Cheers,
    Paul VanSlyke

none beekeeping but has hooked up with classmates that I hadn't heard from since high school that right there makes it worth while for me.Old Marine Corps buddys etc!!etc!!

That's kinda why I'm NOT on facebook!!

I dont text and im not on facebook. Im kind of oldschool i guess. I look at it as a waste of time. typing on beesource is as advanced as i want to get.

I'm on it thanks to my darling neice !

Joe Blow & Suzzie want to be my friend.

Who the H--- is Joe Blow & Suzzie !!

Haven't looked at it in a couple of months, I guess I ought to look at it to see how many more unknown people want to be my friend.

I don't like it, don't need it,& don't want it !

It's for people who want everyone to know every thing they do,who they talk to etc.

Of course in about 8 years, I've only made I believe 3 outgoing call on my cell phone, it's kept in the glove compartment of the car. About every 3 months I remember to put it on the charger, not sure why !

PCM

I'm on facebook as a person not as a business. There are a number of bee places on facebook, one that comes to mind is beeweaver.

Facebook is a great place to meet and find old friends. It has turned out to be a great place for a military brat to find all the friends that were left behind when we moved that we thought we would never hear from again. To each his own I guess...

The first post on face book I made was. Facebook is lame and tweeter is worse. It’s about as useful as E-mail. Will it help your beekeeping?? Depends on how bad of a beekeeper you are. ☺
    I’m really not that serious

I have facebook,and I dont find it useful as far as bees go. I'm in high school,so a lot of people use it to some extent. I have used to help with an assignment if I lost the rubric or the assignment itself. I just find someone who is a paticular class that is online and ask them. If somebody is always posting stupid stuff that gets on my nerves I just delete them as a friend. I have a page for my bee buisness, but only have some friends as people who "like" my page. If facebook is gonna be used as marketing you have to work very hard at it,and I dont have any trouble what so ever selling out of my honey. I do agree facebook can be a waste of time, and I probly spend a little bit to much time on there,but don't die if I dont go to facebook or don't have my computer or phone. Generally when I dont have my computer or phone I'm to busy to worry about a computer or a phone.
    Chris Cree
    Cree's Bees

I have facebook,and I dont find it useful as far as bees go. I'm in high school,so a lot of people use it to some extent. I have used to help with an assignment if I lost the rubric or the assignment itself. I just find someone who is a paticular class that is online and ask them. If somebody is always posting stupid stuff that gets on my nerves I just delete them as a friend. I have a page for my bee buisness, but only have some friends as people who "like" my page. If facebook is gonna be used as marketing you have to work very hard at it,and I dont have any trouble what so ever selling out of my honey. I do agree facebook can be a waste of time, and I probly spend a little bit to much time on there,but don't die if I dont go to facebook or don't have my computer or phone. Generally when I dont have my computer or phone I'm to busy to worry about a computer or a phone.
    Chris Cree
    Cree's Bees

I don't need any more friends

I have all the ones I want in real life.

Its better to live life for real , not burping up it all on the web

mvh edward

I dont have anyone as a friend on facebook unless I actually know that person to some extent. I find it really stupid, the poeple who have 1000 or 2000 friends and might know 50 or 100 of those people. I have 120 ish "friends" on facebook. Most are from my school, some are classmates from middle and elementry school.
    Chris Cree
    Cree's Bees

I have a personal FaceBook page and one for my business. I've actually generated sales with it. Because my personal FB friends also see references to my business FB page, my business gets noticed. Not only by my friends, but by their friends as well. Also, because I am a FB fan of Minnesota Grown, my friends can wander over to that web site and see that I'm a member and have honey to sell. My web site is presented to folks as well. It's free. I spend very little time on maintenance. And... I've sold honey because of it.
    -Phil Domeier
    www.nowthenhoney.com

Okay all you naysayers. When you have kids of the current generation, they socialize and communicate very differently from when we were kids. If you want to keep that connection going with your kids, it is well worth being part of their structure. Facebook is part of it. I don't do the Twitter thing.
    Regards, Barry

I started a facebook page for our bee club, spend maybe 5 min. a day on it.

Also I'm one of those with a false birthday on facebook, don't want too much personal info floating around the internet.
    Dan

I had to get a facebook account when my teen and preteen got accounts. I have got to keep my eye on the little monsters.

doesn't help with beekeeping though. and I am finding that htere is a reason I don't keep daily tabs on everyone I know....

Don't know much about facebook. Don't have one, but the relatives want everyone to get one. They talked about the games. What is the "danger" of playing the games besides a possible waste of time? Is it a security risk?

My niece is in danger of being defriended by my cousin. LOL He said she had too much drama. (Yes, she does! ....)

Also, be aware that what your kids post can effect your home's security and your security as well without you even knowing that it happened. Example....We will be on a family vacation soon going "out of town" etc, etc. Kids can be kind of fearless! You can be careful, but the kids have to be too!

I deleted my facebook account earlier this year or late last year about the security concerns... What amazed me were the number of adults posting on there... "I finally decided to get up and get my coffee." "Finished my coffee, now headed to work." "Work is going slow this am" "Think I'll go to xxx for lunch" I mean really, get a life folks! I don't need that kind of stuff...

Now, having said that, when I retire in a couple years, and my grandkids are on facebook, I just might give it another try. But like one beek posted, life is more fun in reality, than on the 'net. Beesource excepted, of course.
    Regards,
    Steven
    "If all you have is a hammer, the whole world is a nail." - A.H. Maslow