Hybrid View

Default Tricks for getting the most honey from one hive

Say it's a contest - what things would you do to make one hive produce the most honey possible?

Supplement feeding early to start brood build up?
    Transfer brood and bees into the hive before the flow starts?
    Combine hives before the flow?
    2 queen system?
    Remove or cage the queen a month or so before the end of the flow?
    Not use an excluder?
    Extra entrance above the excluder?

You have to keep it from swarming of course, but that isn't the question. Assume you can prevent swarming.

Anybody do this?

Default Re: Tricks for getting the most honey from one hive

Early spring feeding. Rotate brood boxes(give em space)give them supers right when they need em. Try to grow their numbers right before the flow.
    jlk

This topic was recently discussed with a lot of good tips.

http://www.beesource.com/forums/showthread.php?t=247470

Reminder Re: Tricks for getting the most honey from one hive

So many forget about the health of the bees today. Not all bee supplier are suppling health bees anymore. With the prices of bees going up every year and a big demand for package. Package suppliers are getting bees in from whoever, and where ever they can, and bring problems with them. Starting to see things in the east that the west has been talking about for a while.s
    Know your supplier and how they do business.

SICK BEES DON'T MAKE HONEY
    Last edited by The Honey Householder; 12-24-2010 at 08:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by David LaFerney View Post
    Say it's a contest - what things would you do to make one hive produce the most honey possible?
    Location, location, location.

Large frames and brood chambers.
    Location, Location, Location.
    This is close to 300lbs on this hive, and they drew out and fill that green box with ten 11 1/4" frames.

Build like mad by supplementing feed/pollen to build hefty numbers by start of flow.

Roll the queen when the flow starts.

Add boxes of drawn foundation to keep ahead of the bees.

Rolling the queen will allow all resources coming into the hive to be diverted to honey for about 3 weeks (one week until capped brood then additional 3 for the mated queen to start laying again)

You will stuff a hive FAST as long as you are in the right place. Downside to this is the population will dive a couple weeks after the queen starts laying again. (from what I noticed last year)

JMHO. I am a newbeek also.

If you were going to de-queen to increase honey production (by not having brood to feed for a period) when would you do it? I would guess that would be about 3 - 3 1/2 weeks before the end of the main flow if you were going to let them make an emergency queen.

On the other hand it's about 6 weeks from the time an egg is layed until the bee starts foraging so maybe it would be better to dequeen at the beginning of the main flow - assuming the population is very strong at that point. If it isn't the hive isn't going to produce maximum honey anyway.

So, what do the experts say?

Question Re: Tricks for getting the most honey from one hive

I don't get the de-queening. The flow here is about mid June-mid Aug. I just keep extracting and adding boxes back on. No need to mess with the queens. I shot for about 8-10 lbs of bees by production time with 5 supers on each hive to start. I only run in single deep brood boxes, with excluders.

I dont de-queen. IF you were looking to maximize honey, then rolling a queen at the beginning of the flow will allow the bees to focus on storing honey. They have no need to store pollen or turn it to food for larvae. At the beginning of flow also allows them to pick back up and bring in pollen for the newly laid eggs and brood.

I found this out personally by rolling my queen accidently during the blackberry flows this past year. Two almost identical hives and the queenless hive had 2 mediums more than the queenright colony.

Hey HH, just think of all the honey you could make if you "took the leash off" your queen and let her perform at her peak !

I don't really blame you. If I had honey running out my ears I would have to restrict the brood nest to one deep and make them go thru a queen excluder too.
    Raymond

Well, don't know if it's a trick or not. You've all had apiaries with tall (lots of full supers), and short (no full supers), and medium (a couple full supers) size colonies.

Raise queens from your most productive colonies and you will have more productive colonies. GBA!...good basic agriculture

That's the best trick in my bag.