Default Advice with bee tree

I just picked up a feral colony from a tree that had to be cut down. They tried to preserve the nest area but cut into the bottom of the comb. I think they lost 20 lbs of honey. They are in a 4ft. Section of hollow log on my trailer now. I want to set them in the yard upright so the are oriented properly. But that will put the cluster and the open end on the ground and I don't know how to feed them. If I put it upside-down I can give them a candy board or other feed. Ant suggestions on what to do?
    "everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts," Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Default Re: Advice with bee tree

Orient the log the same way it was in the tree.

The 20 pounds lost will not make or break the colony. If they die out this winter, they likely would have died even with the 20 pounds.

I don't know what the temperature is, but it is likely too cold to feed very well.

Do NOT turn the log upside down so you can feed them easier. You will starve them. The cluster moves upwards towards food. The winter cluster has a hard time moving down towards food. If you flip the log upside down, the cluster is starting out with no food above them - a candy board will not be enough to feed them all winter.

Set two scrap boards on the ground with a few inch gap between them. Then set the log on top of the scrap boards. This prevents the cluster from being directly on the ground.

Thanks that sounds like good advice. My gut tells me it's a bad idea to put them upside-down. It's 30 here and getting colder. I may be able to open the top end later if we get some warmer weather. But they'll be ok for now.
    "everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts," Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Hi John,
    I agree, the best thing you can do for them is mount a board on the bottom, stand them upright & leave them alone. Of course make sure they have an entrance.
    You can't save them all, but at least you're giving them a chance.
    Dan