Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Does Warre Culture ever actually work?

Warre has some sustainable points.
    Reduced entrance size,,,,works for me,,,,landing board,,,,,works for me,,, a quilt top that allows ventilation,,,works for me, although I modified it to suit my needs. I still use 10 frame deep langs . Mostly rite cell but moving towards foundation less in the brood chamber cause I don't care about honey anymore Just what is working for me and my goals.

IMO, it doesn't matter what size foundation you run because the bees should dictate what size comb they want. So for those of you who run foundationless, more power to you.

I was just in the garden today, i could hear my warre buzzing in there faint but buzzing. I cant wait to add boxes this spring, and then put out some more hives I am hoping to get a swarm or two for free.

Quote Originally Posted by Cacklewack View Post
    David,

This is winter number 2 for these 12 Warres.

Best,
    Matt
    Matt,
    I am a new beekeeper this year and I installed one package into a Warré. I came across this thread and was wondering if you are still having success with your Warré hives. Anything general advice or observations you have to offer would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Travis

I repopulate with swarms. I'm in the right location with the right sort of job so that I'm around to catch them which isn't the situation for most folks, but the "let them die/repopulate w/ swarms" approach works for me. I even go to the next level of "let them do without treatment or sugar water/die/repopulate w/swarms" and I'm running out of room for the hives and foisting them off on friends. (though I think being in the city has more to do with their success than any purity of philosophy or great wisdom on my part) The traditional skep bee keepers killed 2/3 of all their hives every fall, so the "kill them/repopulate w/swarm" approach must have worked for hundreds of years.

Trawayne; not trying to derail your question. I've known Matt for awhile (biobees), and he is doing well with his Warre's. I too keep bee's in Warre's too, since 2006. One wet winter done 3 hives in in 2009. A year later populated 1 with a swarm. And this year a package of carnolians. And hopefully some more swarms to populate 3 more. These hives do real well, mistakes are made by beekeepers, not bee's. Warre studied bees for 58 years. It is nice not having to deal with burrcomb. The only reason I lost colonys to wet winters. Was my inability to go and check on them, to far away. Now I have them within 1 mile of my house. And I get to mentor a good Friend with his langs. Dont be afraid to try this fine hive. And the Abbe Warre's hive is meant to be adjusted.
    Godspeed Friend.
    Charlie

Quote Originally Posted by Trawayne View Post
    Matt,
    I am a new beekeeper this year and I installed one package into a Warré. I came across this thread and was wondering if you are still having success with your Warré hives. Anything general advice or observations you have to offer would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Travis

Chaindrive: could you tell us more about the wet winter problems? Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Zonker View Post
    Chaindrive: could you tell us more about the wet winter problems? Thanks
    As I said before they were to far for regularly checking on them. I had taped my hive joints with package tape. To protect bees from cold winds. But in January, we recieved 2inches of rain. The tape had come loose at the top line and acted like a funnel. It would not of mattered if it was Warre or Langstroth or any other design. It was my fault for not going out to check their hive condition's. Water had entered into the main bee mass and wet bees will not survive 0 degree winters. That is the bad part of being in Wisconsin. The temps can sometime swing as much as 50 degrees in one day. Now no tape on seams and only use ratchet straps to hold hive bodys together. Plus I made a new Friend who needed a mentor, and had room for many more hives. And His place is only a mile from my house in the city. I have been keeping bees on and off since 1967. And have help to manage 450 hives in Florida. My Uncle J.D. seen the Fun I had and went into business. Warre had watched bees and experimented with them enough. That He new what would work, and worked simply. For almost no layout of cash, and only your time and some energy. You can have beehives that are easy to lift and require little attention. I dont do this for a living, I do it for the bees. I want to see them make it in this new age of bee destruction.
    Last edited by chaindrivecharlie; 05-12-2012 at 12:39 PM. Reason: correct spelling

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12