Default How to manage Russian Bees?

I would love to hear from anyone who keeps Russian bees. This is my first year with two Russian hives that I purchased as nuc's from Dwight Porter in Pickens Co. South Carolina. I loved them! The were very gentle and even though I received them very late in the year one of the hives made an extra full super of Fall honey. I plan on buying two more nuc's and hopefully spilting my existing hives. Can anyone tell me what to expect for my next year. When is the best time to split a hive of Russians and how do you super during the honey flow to keep ahead of them to prevent swarming. I also have a feral hive that I collected and if they make it through the winter I will requeen with a Russain, any advice on requeening?

Any advice will be greatly welcomed.

David, Saluda SC.

Default Re: How to manage Russian Bees?

I keep russian mutts and they do very well for me.They build up quickly in the spring( especially if you have fed them a bit) I try to have my first super on by mid march our main flo is in april. They are a bit meaner than italians i have had in the past. But their disease resistance is awesome, i dont treat for anything. just let bees be bees...JOHN
    jlk

I have a couple of hives with Dwight Porter's Russian queens. They are very gentle and built up well last year despite me pulling frames and bees for splits and mating nucs. Like jlk says, super early before your main flow and don't let them get crowded. Checkerboarding before they get crowded will help too.

You might want to hold on to the feral hive, at least long enough to see how good they are. There is nothing wrong with feral genetics if they are productive, healthy, and gentle. I have some really good hives that were originally swarms from who knows where.

Good luck, Richard

I've been checkerboarding my Russians for the previous two seasons and have reduced swarming considerably.