Default A thought about winter hygiene......

The other day I visited our hives here in Kentucky and started to rake the snow from the landing boards. Of course, the morticians had done their job and so I raked all the dead bees out from under the boxes as well. They were quite damp and not very appetizing to look at but that is Mother Natures thing. Then came the thought to me: I was using the same stick from hive to hive, could I be transferring disease from hive to hive? From now on I will use a different stick for each hive or I will bring a thin steel rod and an alcohol soaked rag.
    Just a thought, what do you guys think? Y'all have very happy and healthy holidays!

Default Re: A thought about winter hygiene......

Worry, Worry,

Your hives are visited many times by Drones from other hives during flying season.
    Also don't forget to soak your hive tool in alcohol, and of course change your rubber gloves between each hive opening.

It's going to be a cold long winter for Human's.

PCM

Alex,
    A needless worry. Which I think is what PCM meant too. Sometimes we worry too much about things we don't need to worry about.
    Mark Berninghausen #youmatter

I agree, no need to worry. But if you just can't shake it and you're losing sleep, drop a dedicated stick behind each hive. You'll never have to worry about it again.
    To everything there is a season....

On the other hand if you were a scientist those are exactly the things you would do to eliminate as many variables as possible.