Question Honey for patties ??

I have some Bee-Pro from Mann-Lake, they call for mixing a small amount of sugar syrup to form patties.
    My question;
    I have a small amount of surplus honey from these hives, Ok to use this in place of sugar syrup ?

Any other tips would be appreciated.

Thanks
    PCM

Default Re: Honey for patties ??

I wouldn't use Bee Pro because I want real pollen. If you want to improve the Bee Pro mix in some real pollen. Honey won't hurt if it's from a known source that doesn't have AFB.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Bush View Post
    I wouldn't use Bee Pro because I want real pollen. If you want to improve the Bee Pro mix in some real pollen. Honey won't hurt if it's from a known source that doesn't have AFB.
    Thanks Michael,
    Yes I agree, "IF" I had any real pollen.
    The problem is I don't have any real pollen, so I have to use Bee-Pro, a bee pollen substitute.

Thanks
    PCM

Then the question is would they be better with just no pollen than a substandard pollen that makes short lived bees?
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

substandard pollen that makes short lived bees?
    Michael, do you have any recommendations of where to purchase pollen patties or a good pollen substitute. I also don't have a good supply of pollen yet, wanted to give some to the hives in early spring. Thanks

Then the question is would they be better with just no pollen than a substandard pollen that makes short lived bees?
    So its better to let the bees starve than to give them some protein supplement?

Not all pollens are high quality either. When bees run out of protein in their gut...... they die.

Bees don't need pollen to live, they need it to rear brood. If you don't feed pollen, they don't starve, they just don't rear brood if they don't have enough stocked up (and they usually do have it stocked up).