Default Winter Prep in VA

First effort at winter prep, tired to follow Mike Palmer's example pictured in Increase Essentials and pretend I am in VT. Hive on the right has a grand daughter of a French Hill Apiaries Queen that my good friend Winevines let me have from her apiary, thanks Karla, she is doing great!

Tucked into the treeline.

Ordered some Bee Cozys from NOD in Canada, may be overkill for VA but they looked so cold!

Default Re: Winter Prep in VA

Hey Full Bird. Nice professional job. Relaying a shout out from Karla.
    Mike

For the hive stand with the 4x4 legs. I like the way you have made it.

Mike, thanks for that, means a lot, and Karla has been a great mentor. We are looking forward to your trip down next year, will be great to meet you. S/F Reidar

Adrian: thanks and I have to credit Winevines again, she has these in her apiary and I copied them. It was a little more work but the weight is carried by the 4x4 post and not the screws. Simple but effect, glad she figured this one out for me! Reidar

Here are couple of close-ups.

Quote Originally Posted by Larsen Farms View Post
    Adrian: thanks and I have to credit Winevines again, she has these in her apiary and I copied them. It was a little more work but the weight is carried by the 4x4 post and not the screws. Simple but effect, glad she figured this one out for me! Reidar
    And I have to credit my brother in law who designed and built this while my husband was out planting vineyards.....we are both nuts in the early Spring! All of my "bee boys" know that I am not the best in the woodworking department. Glad that I can contribute by teaching and mentorship!

Anyway- Thanks for all the shout outs... Larsenfarms..... what a great job raising that queen cell into a full hive in your FIRST YEAR of beekeeping. Awesome job and more positive reinforcement for our movement away from packages all together as a way to start!
    karla

I am using 16 x 8 cinder blocks stacked two high, with 2 x 6 x 6 feet long as joist. I am putting two hives on each stand which will give me space on each end for setting supers. Thanks for all these ideas. I am just experimenting.