The blasting is a figure of speech. I did a cut out that yielded 2 deeps crammed full of bees and I maybe killed 50 bees.
Here is the vac. See why it is so heavy!!! That fact hinders me from taking it to jobs when I really should!!!!
Last edited by Kingfisher Apiaries; 12-21-2010 at 07:30 AM.
Please check out the new kingfisherapiaries.com!
Like us on Facebook
I am robo all the way. Had him make my first one 2 years ago because I needed one ASAP and he was willing to do it quickly for me. (Had 2 jobs coming up in 7 days.
I lose very few bees. The continuous running of the vacuum keeps the bees cool. I put in frames of comb that I have sprayed with SW to help them out.
The outfit is heavy (when it's full of bees and cutout comb). But that's the only negative I can find. You can always find something you don't like but that doesn't mean it isn't the best.
The one I made hasn't been used yet. But I did make a couple of modifications. I made the middle section a little larger and the grooves slightly. I also made the screen for the middle section easier to use by putting sticky aluminum take around all of the edges for easier sliding. The bottom section I changed up the screen opening so that it was on a swivel and the wire is indented some into the hole when sitting in place. Had problems with bees wanting to escape while removing the hose because the screen as designed on the first robo was not sturdy enough to stay together and screws were destroying the screen.
I still use the foam on the resting edges of the sections but I have also stapled them down as the sticky doesn't hold up when removing the boxes.
I didn't put on a slat around the edge of the middle section but I did have to make a change to my original one to keep from getting eat up by angry escaping bees. It doesn't take but a second or two for hundreds of them to escape and jump all over you!!!
So now I just tape down two of the sides of the middle section to the box containing the frames and vacuumed bees. This keeps the middle section on when I remove the top section long enough to add the cutout frames that are in another box.
When I now pull out the screen in the middle section I no longer end up squishing a lot of bees that are pulled with the screen through the slot.
Always keep the vacuum running at all times. It's never turned off until I am ready to put the whole thing in my truck.
Always wash out the hose sections that are used to vacuum the bees after each use. There is a lot of honey build up when vacuuming the bees. I don't care how careful you are you can't avoid getting honey into the hose when vacuuming the bees of the comb.
Always have a bucket of water and cloths available to keep your hands, gloves, knives, and other equipment honey free. While a bucket of water isn't enough, it's better than not having any water.
Always have some cardboard or a piece of thing plywood to use when cutting the brood comb and honey comb to fit into frames.
Always have more tools available than you think you will need because you never know what you are going to be up against. I had 2 colonies that I removed that were in a stone veneer wall. Ever tried to cut into the stone and through the wire mesh while 20' up a ladder? Try to think of every situation possible. As I come up against something different, I add that "new" tool to my arsenal of equipment that I take with me on every job.
Always have 1 more bucket, box, frames than you believe you will need. You can't see behind a wall or ceiling.
Always inventory before you leave for the job.
Always take a camera to take pictures as you are doing the job. They are great references for later jobs and to show to the owner as to why you had to open such a large area or have unexpected damage.
Always carry more than 1 pair of gloves. There is only so many times you can wash the gloves in the same bucket of water before the gloves become slick from saturated honey.
Tommy, I like the storage tote idea a lot. Ease of building. Also I think I'll build a couple boxes for the tote to help split the colony up and give them more room to breath. Thanks man
I want to apologize to Barry and everyone else for messing up my Posts with these pictures, I just couldn't get them right, now the thread has bits and pieces of me stumbling through the thread One should have done it, so what I am going to do is post just the address of the pictures ,If there is anything else I can do to help let me know.
If you want different pictures send a PM , I'll do my best to take them and get them to you
Dan Great Idea as too building more than one Bee holding box ,I will do the same before summer gets here and I Hopefully get more calls for removals
Thanks and hope Future Pictures go up once and correct
Dan I added the corner piece to make the box Rigid I would say anything similar would work.
What I didn't mention was on the main vac hose and the bee intake hose I put a nail on the inside of the Plastic tub this keeps the Hose from pulling out while in use
When done I open the Tub pull the nails and hose close and staple the screen over the catch box.
I should make a slider door for the catch box
This is just another view of the tub
Happy & safe Holidays