Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default time to build new bee vac

Already starting to line up some removals for spring and I want to upgrade my bee vac. Been using a modified bucket head vac and homemade cage in 5 gallon bucket. Basically an Owens style beevac. I like being able to use it on top of a ladder. Don't like small capicity of cage. Looking at a box type vac or a clip onto super style. Any thoughts?
    Buffalo Lick Farm & Nursery
    http://www.buffalolick.com

Default Re: time to build new bee vac

Might want to take a look at this one;

http://robo.bushkillfarms.com/beekeeping/bee-vac/

PCM

I built that one last year. It's definately larger and heavier than what you've got but it holds a hole lot of bees without hurting them.
    Ninja, is not in the dictionary. Well played Ninja's, well played...

I built a ROBO type bee vac last year and have used it with excellent results. Like you I also used a modified bucket vac unit ($20.00 at Lowes). Would recommend that vac unit sits on the ground and use a longer hose up the ladder. You need to keep the hose as straight as possible and shake/tap it occasionally to keep the girls from jamming the flow. I also use two ratchet straps to maintain the integrity of the stack of vac and super(s).
    Steve

I modified the Robo.
    What i did was pretty much build a robo and then add a board to the outside that gives me a rim around the hives i have never found that i need more than one super. Think of it this way build the robo 19 7/8 by 16 1/4 (super size) then add a board that makes a lip to keep it more stable mine will stay together from pure vac power. I keep saying i am going to build one and sell it on ebay. I used pool vac hose and I too find that the girls bunch up both at the enterance and in the hose its self to if i built a new one i would try not having a slanted bottom this time I find as the bees get honey on them they hit that slanted board and stick for a second that makes the next bee have something to grab on to and they build a pile blocking the hose. I fix this with the one i have by turning the hive on its back to where the hose points to the sky. That allow gravity to help keep the hose clear.

Oh seeing that you have used the the bucket style major secret to the super style never put cut comb in it before you vac it might be tempting you open the wall no bees really on the frist few comb why not cut them and load before you start the vac. Worst idea on earth turns that slanted bottom into a sticky trap I did it once end up having to open the whole vac get bottle water and wash yes wash the bee for any of them to live worst mess on earth.

Quote Originally Posted by PCM View Post
    Might want to take a look at this one;

http://robo.bushkillfarms.com/beekeeping/bee-vac/

PCM
    That is exactly what I need. I'm building one.

Mike

I have not experienced the sticky bees problem that Haddon refers to, probably because I vac the maximum of bees off of the comb before cutting any comb. I do use a deflection ramp in the bottom of the vac at a 25-30 degree angle and no stickiness. I put 8 frames of drawn comb in a hive body sandwiched between the lower and upper part of the Robo bee vac. A bucket of water for washing hands and tools is a great thing to have handy when cutting the comb and rubberbanding it into empty frames.

Steve

Thanks for the input. I'm going to build a robot style vac. Like the idea of a lip around it. Also like the idea of vacuuming them right into a super. I'll keep the bucket vac for those pesky 2nd story, top of the ladder cut outs. Might try to dream up a small box in box style to use for the tall jobs.
    Buffalo Lick Farm & Nursery
    http://www.buffalolick.com

Buffalolick,

Here's another idea for you. I cut the upper 1 to 1 1/2 inch of a 5 gallon bucket rim off and mounted it to the upper portion of the ROBO design. In your case, you could switch the same vac system back and forth between a ROBO and a 5 gallon bucket depending on your situation. The vac system just clamps onto any old 5 gallon bucket rim. ie. double duty for the cost of one vac.

Steve

I built a bee vac using a 5 gal bucket and a battery powered dust buster. It is light enough that I can sling it on my back and go up a ladder with it (I am a 5'2" woman) I can collect a LOT of bees in it - pretty much about 4 gallons of them. The kicker is I can't LEAVE them there - they get too hot. So I always transfer them. But it works really well. I need to post plans for it...

JC

Do any of you folks have a line on where I could get some 2 1/2 inch flexible hose to use on a Robo-style bee vac that is NOT corrugated on the inside? I worry that the ridges on the inside of most hoses will beat the girls up too much.
    Learning to swim was pretty easy. The hard part was getting out of that burlap sack.

Tommyt's 123 Bee Vac

Go to a Local Dollar or wally Store and get one of those
    Plastic storage Box's with lid
    The ones that are 3' x 2' deep Built a Wood box like you get
    when you buy a Bee package Built it so it will fit inside the Plastic
    Storage bin
    Cut 2 holes in the bin too fit Hose's cut an additional hole in the Bee Box package.
    Now take one hose put through the Bin and into the Bee Box Package,put the second Hose into the Bin only ,when you put the lid on the storage bin your done. A roll of duct tape is needed for adjusting Vacuum pressure.
    The hose that is not in the Bee Box goes to Shop Vac and the other is the one you collect the bees.
    It is so simple to make a chid can do it.
    I will take pictures of mine and post,I know I don't do well with type.
    You can make one of these right at the Home depot if you were in a bind and needed one asap
    Heck if you buy one the fits a Plastic milk crate you just wrap the crate in screen,pop a hose in it,then drop it in the Bin

Tommyt

We built the one using the plans on this site and have had great luck with it. We are changing from a reg vac. hose to a pool vac hose as it is smooth on the inside. Ebay, roughly a $1.00/ft plus shipping. Got the 1 1/4 adaptors @ Lowes.

Was thinking of the same thing this past summer. I would love to see pictures.

Thanks man
    Dan
    Last edited by Barry; 12-20-2010 at 09:50 AM. Reason: excessive quoting

Rough Pictures but I hope you get how simple the last is the whole thing packed and ready to carry to the Job
    I added the Piece of wood to the catch box to stiffen it and thats where I put the hose
    You could put the hose any were you feel sorry no Pic of it hooked up

Tommyt

I can only put in 4 pictures so I will make 2 posts sorry
    Last edited by tommyt; 12-20-2010 at 08:03 PM. Reason: images too large - read posting rules

Hey your pics got deleted can you post them again?

Thanks
    Dan

I have one of the vacs that blasts the bees right into a 10 frame box. I hate it! The bucket design is the best out there. You can climb a ladder with it, set it up fast, and not break your back. If you do not want to make it yourself, brushy sells a good one.

mike
    Please check out the new kingfisherapiaries.com!
    Like us on Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by Kingfisher Apiaries View Post
    I have one of the vacs that blasts the bees right into a 10 frame box. I hate it! mike
    WHY? What don't you like about it?

here is 1 of 3 of 6

here is 2 of 3 of 6

here is 3 of 3 of 6

http://s775.photobucket.com/albums/y...t/DSCF6231.jpg
    by george they are post wooo hooo

Hope these are good enough for the Idea

http://s775.photobucket.com/albums/y...t/DSCF6235.jpg
    I pack it all in one box and then hook it up to a Vacuum
    It is far from HIGH tec but it works

Tommyt
    Last edited by Barry; 12-20-2010 at 08:47 PM.