Default Bottle seals... Heat-shrink or foam pressure? Both?

Do you use either heat shrink seals or the foam cap seals?

I'm rather fond of the pressure seals but the heat shrink seal will prevent someone from checking to see if there is a cap seal...

What do you prefer?
    BeeCurious
    Trying to think inside the box...

Default Re: Bottle seals... Heat-shrink or foam pressure? Both?

hmmmm you're making me think I may be living dangerously! As I retail all my honey myself, I don't use any seals. Never really had any problem at farmer's markets or out my door. Except I do use shrink wrap seals on the cork sealed Muth jars when I have those. Just to minimize probability of cork coming loose and making a mess.
    Regards,
    Steven
    "If all you have is a hammer, the whole world is a nail." - A.H. Maslow

Quote Originally Posted by BeeCurious View Post
    I'm rather fond of the pressure seals

Those are the ones I us...

I use both. The heat seals on the glass bottles and the pressure seals on the plastic ones. I don't use a lot of plastic...I don't like plastic much, so I don't have a lot of experience. The heat seals take a while longer but they make a statement that the jar is protected.
    "My wife always wanted girls. Just not thousands and thousands of them......"

I use both. Lids with foam seals are easy to come by. The shrink seals are easy to add with a blow dryer.

It depends A LOT on your market. I have seniors approach me about filling up mayonnaise jars, etc. that they bring, which I don't do. (This is like waving a red flag, asking inspectors to target you.) But if it bothers them, I offer a discount, for buying my bottle.

I use plastic, but I sell to lots of people who have kids, and if they have concerns about plastic, they also understand about breakable items, like glass jars.

In a casual rural setting, you might be able to skip the seals. If your customers are more urban, they will feel better with the seals. And in any event, the rural customers prefer chunk honey, with comb in the jar, to tell them it's "real", "pure" honey, vs. seals.

Just be sure you figure these costs into your price, which ever way you go!

Summer