Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Default Re: Just Shaking My head

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Palmer View Post
    You want another nice little tree. Then put one right over here. It's really ok. It's your painting. See, isn't that a nice little tree.

Brush, brush, brush, brush...
    I LOVED that guy....but only on mute......who else could paint with a spatula like that?

This thread has reached the century mark, and seems to be winding down.
    I just want to maybe clarify some, for me, puzzling statements occasionaly. I believe that some of the posters may have been referring to Ross Conrads November BC article. I didn't read it in it's entirety either. To me it was also somewhat a waste of good magazine columns. I'm sure Mr. Conrad is a very knowledgeable beekeeper and is a capable writer. I don't subscribe with the feel good side of bees that he does. No one tries to take better care of his bees than I do. Shucks, I try my best not to mash any anytime I take the top off or the hive apart. I also try to be realistic. Which if you are realistic I don't see how you could find his writings of late interesting.
    So much to learn, so little time!!

I havnt read this article yet but it sounds "interesting". I'm not sure about getting real up close and personal with my bees but I do spend enough time with them to know the hives different personalities.At this point in life I leave a little hair (and sweat)offering pretty much everywhere I go.I know that since I started beekeeping that the bees in general(not just mine) seem to come around and check me out.Sometimes I will be sitting in my truck and a bee will fly in the window and land and check me out a little bit and then fly off.This has happened on numerous occasions and in locations that dont have anything to do with my beekeeping.I kind of figure they are like dogs or cats,if they know your not afraid of them they will come sniffing around.I never had any bees do that before I started beekeeping.I do enjoy watching the things they do.I still get tickled every time that I thump into something and a single bee will walk out on the landing board with her tail in the air just to let me(all 300 pounds of me) that she is going to kick my butt!
    Just for the record,this board is not 100% athiest,I'm a firm believer and Christian through and through and I'm not afraid to say it.

the bees got me pulling out my hair at times, but not for those reasons.
    Will Gruenwald Chilliwack BC

Quote Originally Posted by hemichuck View Post
    Just for the record,this board is not 100% athiest,I'm a firm believer and Christian through and through and I'm not afraid to say it.
    Well siad, I ditto that.
    Will Gruenwald Chilliwack BC

Thumbs Up Re: Just Shaking My head

Quote Originally Posted by hemichuck View Post
    I for one appreciate your stand! As a scientist, I am caught in a mix of many non-believers... as a faithful servant of the lord, I am saddened by the waste of all of those brilliant people. Faith and science coexist, but too many are not able to believe in something that they can't recreate or understand themselves... to me science should be more of a way to understand this awesome world that we were given...a means to better our ways of caring for it and all of its inhabitants... we are not able to answer EVERYTHING because some things are simply beyond our capabilities to comprehend. I am proud of my faith and proud of any others that stand up to acknowledge theirs.

I think it'd be foolish to assume a forum is 100% anything! Forums are far more interesting and conducive to learning when members have a good variety of beliefs (and not just talking about religious beliefs, but all kinds of beliefs including practical).
    If we were all the same, forums would be boring and we'd never have the opportunity to learn things from each other!
    The little bee returns with evening's gloom,
    To join her comrades in the braided hive... -Tennyson

Quote Originally Posted by fuzzybeekeeper View Post
    I have read of beekeepers in the back areas of South America putting a pair of their dirty underwear in the hive so the bees will become used to the smell and not be so agressive when the owner of that underewear opens up the hive.
    I can't imagine that such people have enuf underwear to do this. Seems silly to me. Which may say more about me then them.
    Mark Berninghausen #youmatter

Dude....I cant imagine anything even staying in the hive with a pair of my dirty underwear and I sure as heck wouldnt be eating anything out of that hive.I dont even like to keep my dirty underwear in my house....straight in the washer.

Just read it last night, its in my December BC. He is a little out there.
    I think I get the main point of the article to be, Pay as much attention, & care to you're bees as you do you're 4 legged pets.
    Dan

Quote Originally Posted by KQ6AR View Post
    Pay as much attention, & care to you're bees as you do you're 4 legged pets.
    Why though?

Our 4 legged pets want and need our companionship. But our bees see no need for us in their lives.

Maybe it's partly about the benefits we get out it when we 'connect' with the creatures we raise/keep ?

Yes, if it's about the benefits for us, probably true.

There is just something "feel good" about working a hive. Even my wife, who is very much a city girl, enjoyed opening hives with me immediately when we first met, and she still does.

I'm wondering if there is some smell or something, from the hive, that puts us in a better mood.

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkster View Post
    why stop at a few hairs? a finger maybe ?
    My dog sometimes left part of himself on the side of the hive...
    My beekeeping blog: The Bee Yard

I talk to my bees, but I know they can't hear me! That's as far as it goes though!

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post

I'm wondering if there is some smell or something, from the hive, that puts us in a better mood.
    For me it's the humm, the vibration in and around the hive from thousands of tiny wings. It's like being in the middle of an air massage, or some cosmic "Om" chant or something. It's very relaxing and comforting, along with the delightful smell of beeswax!