Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Default Re: Just Shaking My head

Quote Originally Posted by FRAMEshift View Post
    What a statistical anomaly! 97% of the American public claim to believe in God. Yet 100% of the posters to this thread seem to be atheists... or hypocrites.
    What does one have to do with the other?
    Ninja, is not in the dictionary. Well played Ninja's, well played...

I wondered the same thing myself
    No, I am NOT a bee "Keeper". Anything I post is just my opinion. Take it easy and think for yourself.

What a statistical anomaly! 97% of the American public claim to believe in God. Yet 100% of the posters to this thread seem to be atheists... or hypocrites.
    Now see - I think it is exactly the opposite. I see it as a lack of or weakness of belief and faith in God that leads people to worship plants/animals/nature. I just read the article and Ross seems to be nearly deifying bees and nature.

Given that, if I were to assume anything from the responses posted, I would say that the responses reflect belief in God.

This is heading down Tailgater street. Back to bees please.
    Regards, Barry

I do think that studying a frame out of the hive for thirty minutes with the hive open would stress the bees more than make friends with them. I try to visit as short as time as possible so they can on with their lives. I DO like to sit close (but off to the side) to the entrance and watch them coming and going though.
    If one lands on me and then goes on it's way without stinging me, that's friendly enough for me.

JC

Just shaking my head myself here. Yikes.
    The little bee returns with evening's gloom,
    To join her comrades in the braided hive... -Tennyson

OK, so, in the interest of honesty, I have to say that the article was fun for me to read. As a newbie, the technical articles in BC & ABJ are interesting, but sort of Greek to me at this point. I'm sure they will get more interesting and valuable as my knowledge increases. And, yes, the part about leaving hair and studying the frame for 15 to 30 minutes was a little strange/overboard (respectively), but at this point I still approach my hive with a gratefulness and wonder that is unmatched by anything else I do. I am awed by my bees and I go to a wonderful place when I'm dealing with them. My favorite thing is to watch them fly in all loaded with pollen or watch a new bee emerge from a cell. Yes, I only have one hive (have to start somewhere, right?), and I know this approach isn't practical or feasible for those who have many hives. But this is the other end of it, and, although his article was on the far fringe, I think it's kind of cool to think about this non-technical perspective. Isn't there room in such an information-packed journal for one little bit of imagination? Just sayin'.

Quote Originally Posted by sinclairz View Post
    Isn't there room in such an information-packed journal for one little bit of imagination? Just sayin'.
    Not for me. I want facts, not fluff. Humor works for me, but this guy was serious. There's too many variables in beekeeping for someone like him to misinform a newbee such as yourself.
    So much to learn, so little time!!

I enjoy facts just as much as someones story. I thought Ross did a nice job on Natural BK. I read his stuff and only applied what worked for me. Did we get the same response when Richard Taylor penned, "The Joys of Beekeeping". I doubt it. But I enjoyed that book very much. What about Sue Hubbell, "A Book of Bees", there was alot of touchy feely in there also, but a great read.

I believe we get undated with technical information about BK, and could use a story or two once in awhile. I remember back in the day when BC was full of interesting stories and ABJ was the technical side. I would prefere BC to put some folks stories in the mag. Hobbiest, sideliners, sideliners that moved up, and commercial folks. Real stories of interest. I bet they could find some candidates on this site.

Granted, the "Dating Gig", was a metaphor for "pay attention to your bees". Which as mentioned in this thread, a bunch of folks need to do!

Kind regards,
    Stonefly7

Some people are just wired differently. I remember trying to get out of a liberal arts requirement in college. The lady that would ultimately decide my fate ended our heated discussion with "it is obvious that you need more liberal arts classes and not less". To this day, I have know idea how these people draw any conclusions. I've always thought that is was a default mode for those that didn't inherit the "logic gene". Sometimes a touchy-feely article conjures up romantic notions about the world we live in, like a good painting. The rest of the time we shake our heads wondering if the author may have a loose screw or hormonal imbalance. Since I can rarely even understand basic poetry and the vast majority of so called art, there is no hope that my hair will be left at the foot of a hive. As other's have already expressed, however, a one side conversation, rife with expletives, may on occasion renew my relationship with the hive. And likewise, a few stings to the face, and bee poop all over my vail, brings us back to simple harmony and a deep understanding of each other -> priceless.

When I read that article, two thoughts came to mind:
    1) He's trying to fill the philosophical approach to beekeeping that Richard Taylor filled so well.
    2) What a waste of space in this magazine!

I miss Richard Taylor. If one wants a naturalist, philosophical approach to beekeeping, read Richard Taylor. There is deep respect, understanding, and appreciation there... with none of the "dating" or "leave a hair" claptrap. Taylor was emotionally involved with his bees, as many of us are, without going off the deep end. And yes, I frequently talk to my bees, even without using profanity! ( I save that for when they're cranky or I mess up)
    Didn't Ross write last month about global warming being a foregone conclusion and we needed to get involved to solve it? And yet the latest data from the British Meterological Office and the Climate Research Unit is that global temperatures have been flat for 15 years...not warming as everyone (including the British Met) scream.
    More sloppy articles like these, and I'm done with BC.

Regards,
    Steven
    "If all you have is a hammer, the whole world is a nail." - A.H. Maslow

Quote Originally Posted by sinclairz View Post
    OK... but at this point I still approach my hive with a gratefulness and wonder that is unmatched by anything else I do. I am awed by my bees and I go to a wonderful place when I'm dealing with them.
    And don't ever lose that place you go when you are with your bees. Even after nearly 40 years, I find myself in that place from time to time.

It's not atheism, it's anti-Dr. Doolittlleism.
    Mark Berninghausen "That which works, persists."

Bingo Michael! I think that could have been brought out with better penmanship by Ross. That "place" is brought on by passion.

Steven, I missed the article last month. If it had a title or words of global warming in it, I would have blown right past anyway. Its going to take one heck of an author to be as good as Richard Taylor was. I have all his writings, and re-read them every few years. Never gets old.

Kind regards,
    Stonefly7

It's okay to be "one w/ your bees" and to recognize the interdependent nature of our existense, just don't expect the bees to reciprocate. Talking to bees is okay too. But when they start talking back to you, in English, seek help from the psychiatric community.
    Mark Berninghausen "That which works, persists."

OK well glad to hear that others talk to their bees!

I didn't really realise I did, until just a few days ago when i was working some hives, and the land owner walked over for a chat but approached through some trees and out of my line of vision. First I knew was I heard a loud "Ahem!!" behind me and realised I was saying things out loud like "I wonder how that new queen's going".

Not sure if I was more embarrased, or he was for me!

Quote Originally Posted by Stonefly7 View Post
    Bingo Michael! I think that could have been brought out with better penmanship by Ross. That "place" is brought on by passion.

Steven, I missed the article last month. If it had a title or words of global warming in it, I would have blown right past anyway. Its going to take one heck of an author to be as good as Richard Taylor was. I have all his writings, and re-read them every few years. Never gets old.

Kind regards,
    Kudos to Taylor - he was incredible. The difference, I suppose, was that he was a philosophy professor and not a nut case.

It is funny that I think of myself as a Native American/hippie/earthy type....
    I imagine I will always be in awe of nature in general and my bees specifically> I admit to talking to them, or rather NEAR them, but it is to settle MYSELF down, not to make conversation. If I left hair on their front porch I would think that i was just giving them something else to clean up. My thanks to them is in the care i try to take of them. I just don't see them admiring my music.

I guess for me, I don't ever expect THEM to be in awe of ME like I am of them.

I don't subscribe to BC and didn't read the article. With that said...

The original meaning of a 'date' was to schedule/have an appointment, albeit often used as a socially polite term for visiting a brothel. It did not develop romantic connotations until the 20th century when sexual relations became common in courtship.

On the other hand, it's just good husbandry to make time for our livestock. It's easy to become wrapped up in our daily lives, and we forget to make time for things we need to do. Your livestock isn't going to come knock on your door and tell you when they are sick. Being a good steward means making the time to go watch them for unusual behaviors. (which requires studying them to learn usual behaviors.)

And it's easy to lose 15 minutes or a half hour watching bees in an observation hive...

Leaving a couple hairs seems nutty, but beekeepers often steal honey and then leave syrup for the bees. Maybe if we studied frames for a half hour the bees might tell us which sacrifice they prefer? Or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Grimshaw View Post
    My chickens,on the other hand. We have a nice conversation every morning.
    Same with my goats. They are pretty intelligent, smarter than the dog anyway, who is pretty smart.