Default BSA's Decision -- WE NOW NEED YOUR HELP!!!!

I AM ASKING FOR YOU HELP EVEN IF YOU HAVE PREVIOUSLY MADE PLEDGES TO SUPPORT THE BEEKEEPING MERIT BAD EFFORT!!!!

As you may be aware, Christopher Stowell, a Boy Scout and 14 year old beekeeper from Oklahoma, recently led a campaign to reinstate the Beekeeping Merit Badge.

BSA recently announced its response to Christopher’s request, and the news is mostly good. While BSA is not agreeing to reinstate the Beekeeping Merit Badge, it is agreeing to incorporate beekeeping activities into several different existing merit badges.

Emphasis of the importance of bees and beekeeping will be added to or enhanced in eight existing merit badge pamphlets: Bird Study, Forestry, Gardening, Nature, Plant Science, Pulp and Paper, Environmental Science, and Insect Study. All of this will be accomplished by the end of 2015. One of those badges, Environmental Science, is needed for a scout to attain Eagle rank. Although the BSA is not reinstating a merit badge specific to beekeeping, it is making changes that provide opportunities to expose over 100,000 boys a year to the joys of beekeeping.

Beekeeping projects, such as working with a colony or harvesting honey, will be considered for addition to one or more of those merit badges so that interested scouts can earn advancement recognition for their beekeeping activities. The BSA believes this will increase the awareness of honeybees and their critical impact on our environment, and training America’s young people about caring for this important natural resource.

HERE IS WHAT WE NEED TO DO RIGHT NOW:

BSA does not currently know how many people will be willing to act as mentors for scouts who want to learn more about beekeeping. BSA may be reluctant to include a great deal of beekeeping activities as options for earning the merit badges unless the beekeeping community demonstrates that it will provide mentors to boys who want to learn about beekeeping.

RIGHT NOW, there are three things that you can do to help.

First, BSA has invited all associations and experts in the beekeeping community who are interested in helping with this project to e-mail us at merit.badge@scouting.org. Please put “bees” in the subject line.

Second, if you are interested in serving as a merit badge counselor, contact your BSA local council to initiate the process.

Finally, if you are willing to be a mentor, please contact BSA directly and let them know you are willing to be a mentor. BSA has requested that interested beekeepers e-mail them at: merit.badge@scouting.org and please put “Honey Bees” in the heading. Just write a few words letting them know that you are willing to act as a mentor, and please give BSA a way to contact you and let them know what states and counties you are willing to mentor in.

Just write a few words letting them know you are willing to mentor. Give them a way to contact you and let them know the areas of your state/county wher you are willing to act as a mentor.

Thanks from Christopher for all that you have done AND WILL DO to support this effort,

Neil

Default Re: BSA's Decision -- WE NOW NEED YOUR HELP!!!!

Right now I am very disappointed and have a very low opinion of the leadership in the Trail Blazer District for various reasons. I have been working with Scouts the past 3 years in Beekeeping with the only interest coming from the two Scouts still involved. It's been like pulling teeth to get these Scouts any credit for activities in which they have done that are related to beekeeping because Bees' are not mentioned in the handbooks.

I will do as you ask for the benifit of these 2 Scouts and other Scouts that wish to be involved but don't expect much out of the Trail Blazer District.

Jack Hunt
    Committee Chair

Right now, part of the problem is that there is nothing in any BSA merit badge that really has anything directly to do with the practice of beekeeping.

If BSA adds beekeeping activities to particular merit badges, then your local District will get with the program.

I think it would be great if you would tell BSA about your situation to show the need for them to get at least some merit badge directly connected to beekeeping.

Thanks for your support.

does the "mentor" have to be specifically committed to boy scouts or will boy scouts recognize a program that other groups participate in also? if they want mentors to provide such mentoring exclusive to boy scouts to be counted as "legitimate", count me out. If they recognize the work the kids do in my program alongside the non boyscout kids doing the same activities, they are more than welcome.
    No, I am NOT a bee "Keeper". Anything I post is just my opinion. Take it easy and think for yourself.

I think what would probably be involved is filling out some scout paperwork so they would be able to make sure you don't have a criminal record and then getting together with boys to teach them whatever stuff BSA comes up with as part of the beekeeping curriculum. You might have to do the "child protection training" video/test, which takes about 15 minutes. The basic rules are don't be alone with a kid without another adult present and don't be abusive. Its pretty basic stuff that is as much for protection of the adult as the kids. Teaching scouts would not prevent you from doing activitities with non-scouts, and I don't see why anybody would care if non-scouts were present at the same time.