Thread: death

Default death

Opened a hive on monday and saw a frame of capped brood..

also saw 2-3 dead pupae staring at me... they were shriveling up...

so what do you think the average rate of mortality in egg, pupae, and larvae..

Just want to make sure an occasional dead larvae/ pupae is ok... making surei dont have fb..

Default Re: death

AFB the larvae liquify after capping, and bees will make a pinhole in the capping, then if they can not clean it out, dry the liquified corpse down to a black scale, which is the contagious spore producing stage of the disease--and bees can not clean this out at all...EFB has an inky smell and larvae are in different positions and different stages of development and also with discoloration.

Are these larvae dead with a "Head In" presentation?-(sacbrood acompanying varroa mite infestation) Or is your hive in a time of need where they are using larvae as a protein source perhaps? (decapitated larvae) Is the population of adults enough to support and keep warm their broodnest? (chilled brood)

Your local inspector could be of great use for this...any dead brood a cause for concern, but from what you describe it does not sound like AFB...

This time of year in texas the brood is prone to chilling. Totally normal.
    Please check out the new kingfisherapiaries.com!
    Like us on Facebook

Maybe not such a good idea to be opening up in December...just my opinion. But if you saw a frame of capped brood, I would say they are in pretty good shape and maybe best not to open up to often.

im in texas... average highs are 65-70's...

What I meant is that I typically see dead larvae this time of year, not from me working them, but from the bees not keeping a adequate temp in the hive. This mainly happens on the edge of the broodnest.

Mike
    Please check out the new kingfisherapiaries.com!
    Like us on Facebook